Gimme the Contract!

H

HardScrabble

Gonna make somebody a fortune and probably give the sport another big boost.

Since the days of the first "Golden Boy" through the "King" through "Jaws" to the "The Intimidator" right up to Jeff Gordon. Race fans often have an insatiable desire to love or to hate. Some drivers get only one side for the most part, while others seem to get just as many on both sides.

Enter the "Brat", one Mr. Kurt Busch. Right this moment Kurt is poised to be able capture the current crown as the most recognized young driver in the series. Kevin had an edge until last year, when his performance kinda dropped him.

Just judging by what I have read and heard over the past week, seems both fans and the media alike are coming out of the woodwork to pass judgement on Busch both good and bad, mostly bad to this point. Many of them who likely had never even mentioned his name in more than passing are now figuratively calling for his head in one way or another. And his performance is right on the leading edge of the sport.

Time to "rub their noses" in it. If Kurt can handle it.

Super Brat!! Able to beat the best and make obnoxious and smartass remarks to the decrepit old has beens all the way to the bank.

The possibilities are endless.......

Well a smart old Poster on this board once pointed out similarities between Kurt's arrival and a younger,brasher Darrell'Jaws' Waltrip.A Mexican beer for you on that HS. :)

In truth what this entire deal has reminded me the most of was the Wallace/Waltrip 'feud' of ....my mind slips....the late 80's,I think.Wallace was disliked to an extreme degree for his roughing up of new good guy DW!Irony plays a hand in this sport folks.

This sport is all image and marketing now.Good exposure or bad exposure seems to equal the same result.Exposure is exposure after all.

And for those of you who arent completely burned out on this entire episode,Kurt's comments from his little press conference are worth reading.Though quoted,argued and debated on here to death....it may just give a new perspective on this new 'secret nascar'...approaching each race with a 'plan' to do whatever is neccesary to win.Also,if any of you give credibility to David Poole over at TR....check out his last paragraph in his commentary regarding this incident.THEN you will see a few really heated remarks I am sure.

All in all,one way or the other,Busch,Newman,Harvick and Johnson are the future of this sport.

At least until a new batch of kids comes along and we are all refering to Kurt and the gang as 'old school'.It is all relative after all.

Have a great day folks.

how's that saying go?
there's no such thing as bad publicity

As Earnhardt used to say, wheather they cheer or boo you they are still focused on you. (for lack of a better word that I can't seem to be able to spell)
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Does that mean Kurt Busch will star in the sequel to Days of Thunder ? :lol:

This little fiasco is only the beginning. Kurt Busch is one hot property, like him or not. He's the real deal and I can't wait until he and Kevin Harvick lock horns. It is only a matter of time. Funny, but several weeks ago I was going to compare him to Waltrip, but alas, the prognosticator in me put it off until someone beat me to it.

And if the friends and foes of Kurt Busch think he is something, wait 'till little brother comes along.

Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart will have to step up thier programs because the "new boys" are coming to town to PARTY !!!!!!!!!!!!! Guys like Rusty, Schrader, Kenny Wallace and Spencer might as well retire ( enlist the aid of and hear the sounds of three fiddles or violins in the background) because they're gettin' too old, they're too old, they're too old to cut the mustard anymore.

Gotta add one more thing. Busch, like Gordon and Earnhardt before him, has the fans are always watching to see where they are on the track, cheering as they fall back or move forward. Always hoping thier driver finishes in front of them. Jeff GOrdon paid Kurt Busch the ultimate compliment when he wouldn't let him get his lap back. That shows respect for Busch's talent.

The kid seems to have the stuff legends are made of.

All this and tonight and he wins...............

Put this one in the memory banks real good folks, These kind of stories don't come around real often.

Originally posted by HardScrabble@Aug 23 2003, 10:31 PM
The kid seems to have the stuff legends are made of.

All this and tonight and he wins...............

Put this one in the memory banks real good folks, These kind of stories don't come around real often.
Kinda like last year at the Glen when all the bad publicity was on Tony Stewart and he comes back and wins. One week after even Home Depot fined him.

Originally posted by HardScrabble@Aug 23 2003, 03:23 PM
Gonna make somebody a fortune and probably give the sport another big boost.

Since the days of the first "Golden Boy" through the "King" through "Jaws" to the "The Intimidator" right up to Jeff Gordon. Race fans often have an insatiable desire to love or to hate. Some drivers get only one side for the most part, while others seem to get just as many on both sides.

Enter the "Brat", one Mr. Kurt Busch. Right this moment Kurt is poised to be able capture the current crown as the most recognized young driver in the series. Kevin had an edge until last year, when his performance kinda dropped him.

Just judging by what I have read and heard over the past week, seems both fans and the media alike are coming out of the woodwork to pass judgement on Busch both good and bad, mostly bad to this point. Many of them who likely had never even mentioned his name in more than passing are now figuratively calling for his head in one way or another. And his performance is right on the leading edge of the sport.

Time to "rub their noses" in it. If Kurt can handle it.

Super Brat!! Able to beat the best and make obnoxious and smartass remarks to the decrepit old has beens all the way to the bank.

The possibilities are endless.......
It's all fine & dandy, but Kurt is not the original 'brat'. I can't tell you who it is, because he is not fond of the nickname (actually pizzes him off) , but I can tell you that his first name rhymes with it.

If you are referring to Kenseth, I'd be curious to know why he was referred to that way. His deportment has always been above board and certainly not of the nature to warrant being called a brat.

Since your reference is vague and I'm the low part of a three way bulb, well.......................... help me out here. :D

I can't say who it is... :p

But it goes back to his pre-NASCAR days driving the local tracks. Partly because of his age when he started accumulating late model feature wins and partly because of his demeanor and driving style. One of the local track announcers coined the nickname '**** the Brat'.

Originally posted by 17_Fan@Aug 27 2003, 01:32 AM

But it goes back to his pre-NASCAR days driving the local tracks. Partly because of his age when he started accumulating late model feature wins and partly because of his demeanor and driving style. One of the local track announcers coined the nickname '**** the Brat'.
Really ??? His demeanor ?? WOW, who ever woulda thought. Matt is so quiet and unassuming, always in the background and not being partial to the spotlight.

Hearing he was a "brat" because of his demeanor, well, it was such a surprise you coulda knocked me over with a fender.

Originally posted by Whizzer+Aug 27 2003, 09:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Whizzer @ Aug 27 2003, 09:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--17_Fan@Aug 27 2003, 01:32 AM

But it goes back to his pre-NASCAR days driving the local tracks.  Partly because of his age when he started accumulating late model feature wins and partly because of his demeanor and driving style.  One of the local track announcers coined the nickname '**** the Brat'.
Really ??? His demeanor ?? WOW, who ever woulda thought. Matt is so quiet and unassuming, always in the background and not being partial to the spotlight.

Hearing he was a "brat" because of his demeanor, well, it was such a surprise you coulda knocked me over with a fender. [/b][/quote]
It's like night & day. :) Actually, he was never as bad a some of the drivers that are out there right now. Or, he just grew out of it earlier.

Back
Top Bottom