Glen repave

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
original%20(10).jpeg

Exactly why are we not running "The Boot" this year? I heard it would be possible...

Maybe Brian could just allow the cars a lap down to skip the boot, while lead lap cars use the boot. It would highly complement the lucky dogs, wave arounds and everybody gets to catchup cautions

Because it would reduce the race from 90 laps to ~60 laps, to the detriment of the live audience. This is what I heard, and it makes sense to me.

That makes some sense, I guess. I bet if you polled the people going to the Glen most would want to see the full course run. Couldn't there be a compromise and a slightly longer race so the fans get ~70 laps?

I am for running the boot but I am not in favor if it means shortening an already short race.

As someone who attends every year I always leave thinking "it's over already??".

Or maybe that's every race I attend :)

that track looks fast. Id like to run the boot as well.

Why did they have to do a repave?

How about creating a budget for the necessary SAFER barriers??
In addition to the resurfacing of the race track, workers also poured new concrete on pit road, completed electrical work, installed concrete rumble strips in the turns and finished grading and grassing along the track's perimeter.

apparently harv blew a tire on his test. Saw it on FB.

I say run the boot and keep the same number of laps.

Or do it like rally cross you can choose which way to go, but you have to run the boot a certain number of times

... Or do it like rally cross you can choose which way to go, but you have to run the boot a certain number of times
Cars coming off the boot would have to merge with the cars that took the shortcut, an already narrow area prone to wrecks. Sounds like several accidents waiting to happen, and a lot of laps lost to the yellow flag.

Cars coming off the boot would have to merge with the cars that took the shortcut, an already narrow area prone to wrecks. Sounds like several accidents waiting to happen, and a lot of laps lost to the yellow flag.

The fans are watching for the wrecks. Why do you think so many fans defended the "racing" at Talladega?

A repaved Watkins Glen and still no SAFER barriers. This sounds like something bad waiting to happen. This is already a very fast track that's had some pretty bad crashes in recent years.

Details details, if I can merge on I-95 the best drivers in the world can figure it out ;)

A repaved Watkins Glen and still no SAFER barriers. This sounds like something bad waiting to happen. This is already a very fast track that's had some pretty bad crashes in recent years.

The whole track design is idiotic. Very fast course with unprotected ARMCO within 20 feet of the racing surface in most spots. Minimal runoff area in the turns. Least amount of tire barriers I've seen at a road course.

Turn 1 is MUCH better now though. Compare if you dare...

Not a fan of using The Boot, to be honest. It's slower and more technical, while The Glen is known for being a fast, badass track. We already have Sonoma on the schedule.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...-watkins-glen-repave-during-tire-test-735297/

"I'm surprised at how well the cars move around on the new surface. For the surface to allow us to move around like we are, I'm really excited about that," Carl Edwards told Motorsport.com. "I was nervous that it was going to be really knife edge and really hard to drive.

"I haven't been on all the tires, but a couple times, I've gotten pretty sideways and been able to correct it easily. And sometimes with a new surface, that's tough."

"With the curbing the way it used to be, there were some real tough spots that you had to get just right and they kind of smoothed some of that out, so it's a little more forgiving," Edwards added when asked if there was anything in particular that stood out to him.

The whole track design is idiotic. Very fast course with unprotected ARMCO within 20 feet of the racing surface in most spots. Minimal runoff area in the turns. Least amount of tire barriers I've seen at a road course.
According to this, there's a significant increase in runoff area and catch fences:

The track has undergone a complete repaving which Printup estimated to cost about $11 million. In some sections, he said, "we took the track all the way down, in some sections all the way down to dirt and started from the bottom up." Several IMSA teams recently tested on the pavement. Safety improvements include added curbing, more catch fence and a run-off into every corner.
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/129421-indycar-watkins-glen-labor-day-race-official

Back
Top Bottom