Gotta get one thing off my chest.

ReturnTrip

Team Owner
NASCAR tracks are removing seats by the tens of thousands. NASCAR ratings are falling by the (millions) tens of thousands. Those are facts, true enough?

When people like me recognize those truths, why are we told to get lost or that NASCAR never needed us?

Why do people fail to recognize the obvious collapse of the sport through both attendance and viewership?

Why am I not a fan?

All good questions, although these are not the only things you've had to get off your chest in your brief time here.

Do you intend to provide plausible solutions for these problems?

NASCAR is not collapsing, just an FYI, its going through changes , good and bad, NASCAR wont collapse for at least 8 more years.

NASCAR tracks are removing seats by the tens of thousands. NASCAR ratings are falling by the (millions) tens of thousands. Those are facts, true enough?

When people like me recognize those truths, why are we told to get lost or that NASCAR never needed us?

Why do people fail to recognize the obvious collapse of the sport through both attendance and viewership?

Why am I not a fan?

Collectively Nascar tracks have ripped out hundreds of thousands of seats and obviously they have not removed enough as the Daytona 500 may be the only sell out. A lot of fans have walked away from Nascar and are not coming back plus Nascar has a very old fan base that is not popular with advertisers. Each year TV ratings get a little worse with no sign of the erosion ending.

All of what I have said is true and I really considered bailing out on Nascar after last year but I am glad I didn't as the racing has been very good this year and also this is a really good forum with good people and I enjoy shooting the bull with them. Yeah, there is a bunch of stuff in Nascar I don't care for but the good outweighs the bad so I just try and concentrate on the good stuff and try not to think of the bad.

8 years is a long time as i remember nothing from the spring of 2008. 8 more xbox game releases by then and 300 !races I'm sure attendance will still beat baseball

I think that people would enjoy the racing more if they quit staring at seats and staying up late for TV ratings. There are actually cars out there going very fast.
But didnt you know, staring at the stands is more exciting than watching cars go round in circles.

The ratings and popularity drop is for sure a big issue but remember before the boom after Sr.'s death where NASCAR was in terms of popularity. Tv ratings were about the same and it was a niche sport. Now the drop in attendance is partly because NASCAR has moved to tracks away from its core base of fans, and replaced several prominent tracks like Rockingham and North Wilkesboro with boring ass cookie cutters that are a dime a dozen.

NASCAR needs a better blend of racetracks and no track other then Bristol martinsville, talladega, or Daytona should have two dates

I think that people would enjoy the racing more if they quit staring at seats and staying up late for TV ratings. There are actually cars out there going very fast.

On the contrary as you would need to be an ostrich with it's head firmly planted in the ground to not see the obvious. Seeing empty seats and reading about TV ratings are easier then falling in love and it concerns some longtime fans with respect to the series future. The time to address and correct the issue is now not at the 11th hour.

On the contrary as you would need to be an ostrich with it's head firmly planted in the ground to not see the obvious. Seeing empty seats and reading about TV ratings are easier then falling in love and it concerns some longtime fans with respect to the series future. The time to address and correct the issue is now not at the 11th hour.

The sport boomed. Everybody overreacted. The sport is contracting. In 4-5 years when Erik Jones, Chase Elliott, and Ryan Blaney, etc. are battling, all will be good, and the first of the that bunch to win a championship will be heralded as the savior of NASCAR. String a few together, and we might even have the next Sr. Write it down. I promise you. They used to go around in circles, and guess what.....they still do.

But those empty seats are so shiny ..... some folks like shiny stuff and those pesky cars are moving and hard to keep up with. Whats worse the champion in the 1 car never seems to win

I think NASCAR is trying to find its way again. It is taking steps in the right direction. It is difficult to turn a giant ship, but the ship is turning. They are starting to experiment with the car. The racing this year has been better than anything in the past 5 years or so. They will eventually figure it out but it takes time. The fans will come back, but that also takes time.

The sport boomed. Everybody overreacted. The sport is contracting. In 4-5 years when Erik Jones, Chase Elliott, and Ryan Blaney, etc. are battling, all will be good, and the first of the that bunch to win a championship will be heralded as the savior of NASCAR. String a few together, and we might even have the next Sr. Write it down. I promise you. They used to go around in circles, and guess what.....they still do.

Yeah, I was mainly responding to you saying that "people would enjoy the racing more if they quit staring at seats and staying up late for TV ratings" as the number of empty seats are so great you can't help but see them and the TV ratings are published on various racing sites and take 15 seconds to read. In other words seeing empty seats and reading about TV ratings is quick and easy and do not require any staring or staying up late whatsoever.

I will leave the predictions up to you and Miss Cleo as IDK what things will be like 4-5 years down the line.

I think NASCAR is trying to find its way again. It is taking steps in the right direction. It is difficult to turn a giant ship, but the ship is turning. They are starting to experiment with the car. The racing this year has been better than anything in the past 5 years or so. They will eventually figure it out but it takes time. The fans will come back, but that also takes time.

I agree as the racing has been great and hopefully that will be enough to keep the brakes on anymore gimmicks. I have told a few of my former Nascar cronies that the racing has been enjoyable this year but they are done and have moved on. I hope others do return but I really hope a bunch of newbies under 25 jump on board.

I agree as the racing has been great and hopefully that will be enough to keep the brakes on anymore gimmicks. I have told a few of my former Nascar cronies that the racing has been enjoyable this year but they are done and have moved on. I hope others do return but I really hope a bunch of newbies under 25 jump on board.

Don't hold your breath on the "under 25" crowd, I can't see it happening unless Nascar makes the cars resemble a cell phone

Don't hold your breath on the "under 25" crowd, I can't see it happening unless Nascar makes the cars resemble a cell phone

I just read an article on another thread about Millennials not eating cereal because it is a pain in the butt to clean the bowl. If that is true it may be a real pain for them to exert energy walking to and from a track.

Couldn't they just turn the bowl upside down (to keep the flies off) and use the same one every day ? :unsure:
Just pour milk in the carton and eat it straight out of the box. Heck, Kellogg's used to make small 'Kell-Bowl' boxes designed with that in mind. If they can't finish the box in one day, letting the cereal soak overnight will save them the effort of actually chewing. That'll be good prep for when they have all their teeth yanked because they couldn't be bothered to brush.

People will point to a couple of things as to the problem, but it's a collection to a lot of things. Probably a list too long. People eventually find other things to do.

People will point to a couple of things as to the problem, but it's a collection to a lot of things. Probably a list too long. People eventually find other things to do.
Tennis when through the same thing in the mid-70s to early 80s. Eventually the popularity declined and the TV coverage was reduced, but the sport itself is still healthy. Now it's able to get more coverage as specialty networks are spawned and have to fill that air time somehow.

Collectively Nascar tracks have ripped out hundreds of thousands of seats and obviously they have not removed enough as the Daytona 500 may be the only sell out. A lot of fans have walked away from Nascar and are not coming back plus Nascar has a very old fan base that is not popular with advertisers. Each year TV ratings get a little worse with no sign of the erosion ending.

All of what I have said is true and I really considered bailing out on Nascar after last year but I am glad I didn't as the racing has been very good this year and also this is a really good forum with good people and I enjoy shooting the bull with them. Yeah, there is a bunch of stuff in Nascar I don't care for but the good outweighs the bad so I just try and concentrate on the good stuff and try not to think of the bad.

Why am I not a fan?

I would like to say, if i may, and yes i am new to this forum, that i personally have found that accommodation MUST be a key factor in lower attendances. I can fly over half way round the world to a race weekend and pay half the money than it is to stay for a race weekend.
But if i am wrong please let me know i can do it cheaper and i will go to more races

never thought tennis would be compared to NASCAR by a blogger. Does not think it is that bad

I would like to say, if i may, and yes i am new to this forum, that i personally have found that accommodation MUST be a key factor in lower attendances. I can fly over half way round the world to a race weekend and pay half the money than it is to stay for a race weekend.
But if i am wrong please let me know i can do it cheaper and i will go to more races

You are right as by the time you have to pay exorbitant charges for accommodations plus tickets and ancillary items it adds up fast. Over the years I have seen 65-70 cup races plus Busch Grand National/Busch series races, trucks and IROC and always I always managed not to get fleeced. When faced to the expense of attending a Nascar race or going to Vegas, a Cruise, an all inclusive resort or family vacation more people are ignoring Nascar.

Finishes like today are what help drive fans away IMO. Especially when new people give it a try and see the buffoonery

Anybody else notice the original poster dropped in here Thursday evening, spent 75 minutes posting some inflammatory material, and hasn't been seen since?

Back
Top Bottom