Great Clips exercise option to end Kasey Kahne contract early

I was about to start a thread. The end is finally here for kahne. Farmers is also out for next year. that is 22 races not sponsored next year. This is Rick's out. I am sure he has a sponsorship must be in place clause with Kahne. These companies are leaving because a performance clause likely wasn't met. I have said for a long time something is wrong with kasey. He looks like a deer in the headlights with interviews the last couple years. I also have to wonder why Dale jr can put in JJ's setup last week at charlotte and finish in the top 10, while Kasey can't even do that and run in the top 15. I personally feel dale jr is a bit gun shy still from his concusssion and not driving with even his normal level of confidence. basically I feel like if it was last year he would have done even better with JJ's setup in the car. Kasey looks like he is driving a front row car. Chase elliott has nearly won several races. Kasey never sniffs the lead. I thought with junior leaving we might see a reprieve for kahne, but it just shows the inevitable finally. This is kahne's last year at HMS barring something really amazing.

I never thought I would see the day that team Hendrick would be falling apart. They need some talent in the #5 and #88 cars for 2018.

Bowman to the 88 but in all seriousness wonder who he'd put in the 5 next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowman to the 5 and 88.

That's the problem isn't it? It's easy to have Kahne out but who's in? Byron isn't ready yet, so you have to look at the free agents. The list is pretty appealing, but what does that mean for Byron? Some say Jimmie won't go much longer (maybe 2 or 3 more seasons) so that could be the vision. (Or maybe Bowman isn't able to live up to the hope - that's another possibility)

Free agents in 2017 include Jamie Mac, Brad K, Denny, Kenseth, Menard, Larson, Almirola, and Erik Jones is technically not under contract. (according to http://nascarbehindthewall.blogspot.com/2017/02/2016-contract-year-nascar-drivers.html )

Most of those are likely to re-sign with their current team (Menard and Almirola possibly excepted, but probably not in consideration for the 5 anyway). But could HMS lure one of those guys away? Hmm

Last edited:
That's the problem isn't it? It's easy to have Kahne out but who's in? Byron isn't ready yet, so you have to look at the free agents. The list is pretty appealing, but what does that mean for Byron? Some say Jimmie won't go much longer (maybe 2 or 3 more seasons) so that could be the vision.

Free agents in 2017 include Jamie Mac, Brad K, Denny, Kenseth, Menard, Larson, Almirola, and Erik Jones is technically not under contract. (according to http://nascarbehindthewall.blogspot.com/2017/02/2016-contract-year-nascar-drivers.html )

Most of those are likely to re-sign with their current team (Menard and Almirola possibly excepted, but probably not in consideration for the 5 anyway). But could HMS lure one of those guys away? Hmm

Could see Menards and Paul to the 5 for 1 year until William is ready?

Almirola and Smithfield for 2 years?

Matt for sure I could see for 2 years

Denny,Brad,Larson just can't see it as of now.

Jamie is as competitive as ever so I don't see that either.

Blaney,Jones are possibilities but Ford and Toyota are real big on them.

Then there is JRM drivers but you might as well keep Kahne at that point but $$$ talks.

I'm not so sure Kahne would rather be somewhere else. I'm sure plenty of us have had jobs we didn't exactly like but the money was good. It has seemed that way to me anyway. Just going thru the motions. I've only seen him race hard recently and it was at a truck race at Charlotte. The rest of the time you can't keep him out of the pits..when is the last time Kahne was seen with a tire going down? He will probably dabble with his sprint car team if/when he loses his cup ride.

With NASCAR's downtrend,if I was a driver I would rather be with an organization like Penske or Hendricks racing.They are much more than just a racing team highly dependent on sponsor and manufacturers support to keep them going.

Ain't thinkin' Hendrick (no S) nor Penske is gonna put a team on the show circuit that loses money.

Maybe I shouldah checked with an expert before I posted that but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

Oh, thank you.

I’ll change my opinion immediately…………………...

Your statement reads that Hendrick doesn't want the 5 and 88 to compete. That's ridiculous why in the world would he do that.

Just to play devil's advocate here, perhaps what we are seeing is just the bubble popping in NASCAR sponsorship. Maybe sponsors are leaving because HMS is asking for too much money. This certainly wouldn't be the first car to fold in the past few years due to a lack of sponsorship.
I tend to agree with the, Kahne needs a fresh start crowd or else his passion for the sport is pretty much dead, but I think he still has some talent left in him.

I was about to start a thread. The end is finally here for kahne. Farmers is also out for next year. that is 22 races not sponsored next year. This is Rick's out. I am sure he has a sponsorship must be in place clause with Kahne. These companies are leaving because a performance clause likely wasn't met. I have said for a long time something is wrong with kasey. He looks like a deer in the headlights with interviews the last couple years. I also have to wonder why Dale jr can put in JJ's setup last week at charlotte and finish in the top 10, while Kasey can't even do that and run in the top 15. I personally feel dale jr is a bit gun shy still from his concusssion and not driving with even his normal level of confidence. basically I feel like if it was last year he would have done even better with JJ's setup in the car. Kasey looks like he is driving a front row car. Chase elliott has nearly won several races. Kasey never sniffs the lead. I thought with junior leaving we might see a reprieve for kahne, but it just shows the inevitable finally. This is kahne's last year at HMS barring something really amazing.

Khane has always been one of those guys that has done well if he has unloaded well, practiced well and qualified well but if those things were not present he usually didn't have a great day. I said something mean about KK so according to the nutters I hate him....I feel heavy with emotion.

Kahne didn't forget how to drive. It simply that he's too nice of a guy to bitch too much about when the car unloads poorly or about his ****** crew chief.

And you know where nice guys finish....last.

Bye Kasey. Being a nice guy cost you your job.

"When Hendrick Wants the 5 'n 88 more competitive than they are, they will be."

What's hard to understand?

His statement reads as if they are choosing to run poorly.

I'm not so sure Kahne would rather be somewhere else. I'm sure plenty of us have had jobs we didn't exactly like but the money was good. It has seemed that way to me anyway. Just going thru the motions. I've only seen him race hard recently and it was at a truck race at Charlotte. The rest of the time you can't keep him out of the pits..when is the last time Kahne was seen with a tire going down? He will probably dabble with his sprint car team if/when he loses his cup ride.
Maybe true he seems to drive better in cup when asked to overarchive with cars that aren't quite top notch.
Never really lit it up at HMS for a complete season, at least not the way previous resume indicated he would, all imo.

I guess if people want to believe that than fine, but to me it's no where near the truth. Hendrick is not so superior to the rest of the garage that they would do that. The logistics of sponsorship relations would be a nightmare. And they have to follow all the same rules as everyone else. The truth is the 88 and the 5 just are not that good.

I guess if people want to believe that than fine, but to me it's no where near the truth. Hendrick is not so superior to the rest of the garage that they would do that. The logistics of sponsorship relations would be a nightmare. And they have to follow all the same rules as everyone else. The truth is the 88 and the 5 just are not that good.

Some people say the 5 car is run for R&D. Whatever. Probably the same folks who said the money for the 25 car back in the 90's was used for Papa Joe's retirement fund. It's all nonsense.

Some people say the 5 car is run for R&D. Whatever. Probably the same folks who said the money for the 25 car back in the 90's was used for Papa Joe's retirement fund. It's all nonsense.

Yes I guess I just fail to believe 80 million dollars is spent every year on the 5 and 88 for the 48 and 24 to go as fast as all the toyotas and the 42 and the Penske cars and the 4 and so on and so on. But...."When Hendrick wants the 5 'n 88 more competitive than they are, they will be". ;)

This is not all on Kahne. Granted he has been riding on Rick's good will for half a decade by now but it also the state NASCAR finds itself in. Sponsors are leaving hand over fist despite the driver.

You know it's really bad when a sponsor reneges on paying a team (SHR) but somehow still is asked to come back to sponsor cars on the same team.

Yes I guess I just fail to believe 80 million dollars is spent every year on the 5 and 88 for the 48 and 24 to go as fast as all the toyotas and the 42 and the Penske cars and the 4 and so on and so on. But...."When Hendrick wants the 5 'n 88 more competitive than they are, they will be". ;)

I'm not sure what Clarence was alluding to, but if Mr. H wanted to make the 5 car's success a higher priority, he could choose to spend more $$$ to bring in some help. Kahne and Rodden clearly isn't working for whatever reason. The results just aren't there.

The CEO of Great Clips is leaving.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...clips-ceo-rhoda-olsen-will-leave-post-at.html

It doesn't really make financial sense to be a sponsor if you are just in it for the advertising. It's much more about the perks that management gets. If the new people don't like racing, then the don't care about the perks and bye bye.
This is really the crux of the matter for this sponsor imo. Nice find sloggie.

Just a soon as I say this, watch them go to another team....doh!

I'm not sure what Clarence was alluding to, but if Mr. H wanted to make the 5 car's success a higher priority, he could choose to spend more $$$ to bring in some help. Kahne and Rodden clearly isn't working for whatever reason. The results just aren't there.

2, some aren’t much on reading comprehension. Government schools, perhaps.

Yes, if he wanted them to be more competitive he’d put greater resources into them. As it is, both are about mid-pack points wise. They are competitive with the RCRs 'n the like. To move up would be “more competitive.” Able to compete with greater number of teams.

"When Hendrick Wants the 5 'n 88 more competitive than they are, they will be."

What's hard to understand?

His statement reads as if they are choosing to run poorly.

What someone got out of it. To answer the question, nothing.

I feel bad for Kasey Kahne. The dude has all the talent in the world. Things just havent panned out at Hendrick like everyone thought. A fresh start would benefit everyone. However, that 5 car is a slug at the moment. They unload slow, and continue to run slow during the race. Same thing with the 88 right now. Doesn't matter who the driver is if the race car is a ****box. CC and engineering changes need to drop alongside the driver changes, or else the Hendrick guys are just spinning their wheels.

The sponsorship thing isn't anyone's fault. There are far more competitive drivers than Kasey losing sponsors. Just the state of NASCAR at the moment.

Yes, if he wanted them to be more competitive he’d put greater resources into them. As it is, both are about mid-pack points wise. They are competitive with the RCRs 'n the like. To move up would be “more competitive.” Able to compete with greater number of teams.

To me thats not a "want". I believe Mr H. Believes in his people as is and is waiting for results. A "want" would be a contract offer to Brad Keselowski, a sponsor pitch to Home Depot. Etc. What would make more sense for comprehension would be.... When Hendrick "makes a change to" the 5 'n 88, they will be more competitive. After all your simply stating your opinion. You think they need greater resources, I think they have the resources. You think they need to move people. Moving people can make the situation worse. See these are opinions, no reason to be smug.

want
wänt,wônt/
verb
  1. 1.
    have a desire to possess or do (something); wish for.
    "I want an apple"
    synonyms: desire, wish for, hope for, aspire to, fancy, care for, like; More

It is the same thing with the 10 team as if SHR wanted to get that car closer to victory circle they would allocate more resources to it.

It is the same thing with the 10 team as if SHR wanted to get that car closer to victory circle they would allocate more resources to it.

Exact reason why I disagree so whole heartedly...this is not a game these guys know what they are doing, and the best they can is what they are doing. Even Hendrick he is not GOD.

I don't see this as an indictment of KK at all but just a pure business decision that is made by the new CEO. Obviously the old guy saw some value in Nascar and the new guy doesn't and this is a scenario that has happened several times in the last few years.

Heh, heh... Yeah.

Folks of the Haas 'n Hendrick ilk understand how to aquire revenue to apply to any situation so desired.

Back
Top Bottom