Guitar music, guitar players, guitars, etc.

CamelPowered

Jimmy Spencer Never Forgets!
Thought I'd start a guitar centered music thread. Any other players or fans, add anything cool whether it's music, instruments, amps, whatever.

I saw video of this lady Joanne Shaw Taylor on another site recently and was really impressed. And she's playing a Squier. Brand snobs look down on Squiers, but they are really some pretty good instruments.

Cheap Trick's Tom Petersson 12 string Bass
5f98444f91b52fe5babedc215999ed67.jpg

Thought I'd start a guitar centered music thread. Any other players or fans, add anything cool whether it's music, instruments, amps, whatever.

I saw video of this lady Joanne Shaw Taylor on another site recently and was really impressed. And she's playing a Squier. Brand snobs look down on Squiers, but they are really some pretty good instruments.

She's pretty impressive. Squier is just Fender's budget line. They are still quality instruments. My wife has a beautiful, red Squier Strat. Ms. Taylor may or may not have upgraded the pickups and or a few other things to customize her sound but most all major players do that no matter what type of guitar they start with.

That is nice. I really like Orianthi! She plays my favorite brand, by the way, Paul Reed Smith. Conversely, the last one of those I played at Sam Ash Music was about $4700. It's still all about the player though. If you can't play you're gonna sound horrible on a great guitar but if you can play you are going to sound good on crap equipment as well.

This is a great song from Orianthi

What a great song! I wan't a huge fan of theirs. They only had like 2 or 3 songs that I liked but those were really great songs.

Same thought here about just a few songs.

This is probably my favorite video I've seen of him. I've seen it a few times but for some reason I haven't been able to find it again when I wanted to. This is one of his songs that I really want to force myself to sit down and learn when I reach a point where I can play for very long at all pain wise with my back.

Although Stevie is my favorite, I certainly enjoy all types of guitar and various musical genres. There are tons of guitar players who I really enjoy hearing play.

This is probably my favorite video I've seen of him. I've seen it a few times but for some reason I haven't been able to find it again when I wanted to. This is one of his songs that I really want to force myself to sit down and learn when I reach a point where I can play for very long at all pain wise with my back.

It's from the Live at the El Mocambo dvd. A brilliant performance of a great song.

Thanks for the info, and for posting!

Glad to help. I couldn't guess how many times I've watched that show; I was getting the SRV dvd's even before I had a dvd player because my vhs tapes were wearing out. I'd watch them over and over trying to copy his licks. Never have managed to sound like him though .

While we're on SRV, here's his MTV Unplugged performance:

And Hideaway:

In the 70s I worked at a gas station pumping gas while in high school. The a.m. station WQOK played "do you feel like I do' alot. It was the highlight of my evening while at work.

Later on WQOK sold out to Disco, I never forgave them and I am glad they went out of buisness.

Glad to help. I couldn't guess how many times I've watched that show; I was getting the SRV dvd's even before I had a dvd player because my vhs tapes were wearing out. I'd watch them over and over trying to copy his licks. Never have managed to sound like him though .

While we're on SRV, here's his MTV Unplugged performance:

And Hideaway:

If it helps, the biggest thing that helped me in getting his tone was using 12 gauge strings. He used 13's. I tried 13's and 12's both and it seemed that 12's still gave me the fuller, richer, beefier tone that he had but still played a lot better for me. The 13's sounded just a touch better but, while my hands are very strong for most guitar players, I did notice that I had a harder time achieving full bends in a hurry. It takes some getting used to but it is critical to his tone.

In the 70s I worked at a gas station pumping gas while in high school. The a.m. station WQOK played "do you feel like I do' alot. It was the highlight of my evening while at work.

Later on WQOK sold out to Disco, I never forgave them and I am glad they went out of buisness.

Great song live!

I always liked the guitars in this song
"Always Somewhere "
by the Scorpions

If it helps, the biggest thing that helped me in getting his tone was using 12 gauge strings. He used 13's. I tried 13's and 12's both and it seemed that 12's still gave me the fuller, richer, beefier tone that he had but still played a lot better for me. The 13's sounded just a touch better but, while my hands are very strong for most guitar players, I did notice that I had a harder time achieving full bends in a hurry. It takes some getting used to but it is critical to his tone.

Yeah, to really nail the tone the thick strings matter. I can't handle strings that heavy though. And he played them with a super high action.

Maybe it's just me, but more than the tone though there's just something in his playing that is really hard to imitate; a "feel" that isn't easily duplicated or totally captured in transcriptions or tutorials.

Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing,"

Back
Top Bottom