Hendrick steals William Byron

Toyota essentially choosing Christopher Bell over William Byron is a HUGE mistake.
I agree with those saying the thread title is wrong, that this is not a "steal" because Toyota never had control over where William Byron goes to race. Many in the motorsports press (as well as many who post here) have assumed Byron is "the property of" Toyota simply because he is in a KBM truck this year. Each time I've asked for some evidence that Byron is part of the TRD pipeline, none has been forthcoming. I believe Byron was never anything more than a free agent who rented a KBM seat... and made the most of it. Good for him. As he moves higher up the ladder we will begin to see just how good he is, but he is definitely off to a fine start.

Good HMS/JRM

Since KK has been a made the secondary topic, I too thought KK was going to have a lot better run at HMS then he has, I think the its the entire package that is the problem, ( the 5 team and KK).

Good on JRM.

Don't jump to conclusions yet. A lot of things need to be sorted out first, so I'm going to hold my analysis for now. I think this means he will take that empty slot of Sadler, because I'm certain that he will leave because of One Main getting out.

Maybe JRM steps up to four cars? A lot of questions to be answered later on, but good on HMS/JRM to lock Byron down.

So they didn't pay him? Jr did have him first after all in the Late Models.
No, they didn't / don't.

You are correct, he started in JRM Late Models. He's a paid man now. Good for him and for HMS. I hope he does well.

So they didn't pay him? Jr did have him first after all in the Late Models.

The Byrons brought money (sponsorship) to KBM, that's the reason he was there (Liberty is one of his father's clients). However, it's not enough money for an Xfinity ride, and JGR said they would not backstop the difference. Byrons tried to get Liberty to triple their investment, and when they were unsuccessful, Mr H told the Byrons that he would backstop a ride (Byron has a terrific agent, btw. I'd bet a large sum of money that a guaranteed Cup ride is in his contract). TRD would have liked to have more time to try and finance the rest of an Xfinity car for him...but that's life.

And it doesn't take a genius to see that they have a roomful of those.

As Rick Hendrick once said: "There's no room at the inn."

IDK anything about Byron or any of the other drivers being mentioned as the first time I have heard their names has been on this thread. One thing I do know about Byron is that he must be a sharp young kid of good character as there would be no place at the inn if he wasn't. JGR, Penske and SHR don't mind if their drivers behave like buffoons on and off the track but that sort of thing is verboten for Rick Hendrick and HMS.

IDK anything about Byron or any of the other drivers being mentioned as the first time I have heard their names has been on this thread. One thing I do know about Byron is that he must be a sharp young kid of good character as there would be no place at the inn if he wasn't. JGR, Penske and SHR don't mind if their drivers behave like buffoons on and off the track but that sort of thing is verboten for Rick Hendrick and HMS.

He's won like 6 truck races in 15 starts, ever.

Edit: just looked it up, 5 wins in 14 starts. He's pretty damn good and has only been racing actual automobiles for 4 years.

This reminds me of a politician spinning a loss in
The Byrons brought money (sponsorship) to KBM, that's the reason he was there (Liberty is one of his father's clients). However, it's not enough money for an Xfinity ride, and JGR said they would not backstop the difference. Byrons tried to get Liberty to triple their investment, and when they were unsuccessful, Mr H told the Byrons that he would backstop a ride (Byron has a terrific agent, btw. I'd bet a large sum of money that a guaranteed Cup ride is in his contract). TRD would have liked to have more time to try and finance the rest of an Xfinity car for him...but that's life.

So he is just another spoiled rich kid? I guess they all are nowadays.

Not at all what I said. Liberty is his father's client, so they were able to secure some sponsorship from them since they had a relationship. Enough for a truck ride, but not enough for an Xfinity ride. I wouldn't put him in the "spoiled rich kid" category at all.

Not at all what I said. Liberty is his father's client, so they were able to secure some sponsorship from them since they had a relationship. Enough for a truck ride, but not enough for an Xfinity ride. I wouldn't put him in the "spoiled rich kid" category at all.

I dunno..To me, having a father with connections to a university that leads to a sponsorship fits in that category. Byron assuredly is a good driver, and deserving of the opportunity, but it seems that the "daddy's connections" story is far too common relative to the "pulled myself up by my bootstraps" story in NASCAR nowadays.

He's a young kid learning to race ... and doing a fine job of it. He's also learning how to get other people to pay for it. That's an element necessary for success, whether you like it or not.

Do you ever have anything positive to say? Your posts are dreary.

I dunno..To me, having a father with connections to a university that leads to a sponsorship fits in that category. Byron assuredly is a good driver, and deserving of the opportunity, but it seems that the "daddy's connections" story is far too common relative to the "pulled myself up by my bootstraps" story in NASCAR nowadays.
I think to make it in this sport, at this level, you gotta know somebody.
Connections are a good thing.

By what other means should Mr. Byron have secured a ride with KBM? I don't think 6 paper routes would cover it.

The Byrons brought money (sponsorship) to KBM, that's the reason he was there (Liberty is one of his father's clients).
Allen, what is the father's business? I've wondered about the Liberty University sponsorship, as it is a bit unconventional for a kid just getting his start.

By what other means should Mr. Byron have secured a ride with KBM? I don't think 6 paper routes would cover it.

There are many people who make connections on their own, not through their parents. As I said, it's really nothing against Byron. Just that I find stories like Carl Edwards handing out business cards to everyone he met more interesting than "my dad's wealth management company hooked me up." NASCAR used to have a lot of Edwards-types. Now the field is filled with Dillons, Menards etc. who are members of the silver spoon club.

P.S. I know Edwards is Schrader's cousin. He's the best 'boostraps' example I could think of, and even he has a connection.

This kid is about as blue-collar as the modern racers can be. He raced iracing at a young age, got super good but the parents couldn't afford to put him in a real car. Finally he got an opportunity when he was like 13 years old. Calling this kid the typical spoiled rich kid is a stretch.

All young racers come from atleast a little bit of money. A realization I struggled with when I was 9. Lol.

This kid is about as blue-collar as the modern racers can be. He raced iracing at a young age, got super good but the parents couldn't afford to put him in a real car. Finally he got an opportunity when he was like 13 years old. Calling this kid the typical spoiled rich kid is a stretch.

All young racers come from atleast a little bit of money. A realization I struggled with when I was 9. Lol.

Maybe you are right, and if his parents didn't help his career too much, that's to his credit. But I'm pretty sure this is his dad's company:

http://www.byronfin.com/

Doesn't look blue collar to me, or that they couldn't afford to help.

Racing anything costs money. Carts, motorcycles, boats, dirt cars, etc.

He's won like 6 truck races in 15 starts, ever.

Edit: just looked it up, 5 wins in 14 starts. He's pretty damn good and has only been racing actual automobiles for 4 years.

He sounds good alright.

Fair enough. I guess he's a spoiled a rich kid. Just like 90% of the other drivers!

Maybe you are right, and if his parents didn't help his career too much, that's to his credit.
This sentiment seems a bit twisted to me. Are you looking for racers who at birth were dropped off on the steps of the local orphanage?

Thanks for the info. :)

This sentiment seems a bit twisted to me. Are you looking for racers who at birth were dropped off on the steps of the local orphanage?

Of course, you use what is given to you. I just feel like the rich stories are more common than they used to be. There's a difference between you dad helping you buy your first go-kart and your dad hooking you up with a sponsor/having a company that can serve as a sponsor.

Do you think before you post? How did you get that from his post??

Not to rehash stuff from this afternoon, but this post led me to believe his family was very well connected. It turns out I was right--his dad owns a financial services company in Charlotte. Nothing against Byron, but I wish we had more drivers who had achieved success without such assistance.

Not to rehash stuff from this afternoon, but this post led me to believe his family was very well connected. It turns out I was right--his dad owns a financial services company in Charlotte. Nothing against Byron, but I wish we had more drivers who had achieved success without such assistance.
Denny Hamlin's blue collar parents mortgaged their home to keep him in late models.

People do what they do with what they have. There is no difference between the two cases.

Dunno who to attribute this quote to but it goes like this:

"In my life I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better."

Nothing against Byron, but I wish we had more drivers who had achieved success without such assistance.

I couldn't give a **** where a guy comes from, honestly. Never understood that scrape and scrap to get what you have mentality. Hell, I don't watch NASCAR for that. I see it everyday. I watch NASCAR to escape. In all honestly, I would be willing to bet that many who "came from nothing" had more to start than many will ever see.

I don't really even know what Kyle came from (I have an idea from stories that have been force fed by the media), and I love that bastard. I know what he is when he is on the job, and he brings me huge joy (adjusts famed Champion's cap). Anytime anybody is happy, I am happy, so great about the parts of his personal life he shares, but I don't see his Dad happiness anything more than what I have experienced myself for example, and I don't need it to be a supporter.

I couldn't give a sh!t where a guy comes from, honestly. Never understood that scrape and scrap to get what you have mentality. Hell, I don't watch NASCAR for that. I see it everyday. I watch NASCAR to escape. In all honestly, I would be willing to bet that many who "came from nothing" had more to start than many will ever see.

I don't really even know what Kyle came from (I have an idea from stories that have been force fed by the media), and I love that bastard. I know what he is when he is on the job, and he brings me huge joy (adjusts famed Champion's cap). Anytime anybody is happy, I am happy, so great about the parts of his personal life he shares, but I don't see his Dad happiness anything more than what I have experienced myself for example, and I don't need it to be a supporter.
Didn't you know, if you grew up with money, there is no way you actually have talent.

He couldn't be too awfully rich. His folks couldn't afford it themselves. So his dad talks a client into a limited sponsorship, and even the sponsor couldn't afford the next level. But Mr. H knows talent, so he decides to foot the bill himself. That's as close as you are going to get, to a rags to riches story these days.

I think you really need to go back and study the history of Nascar before making such foolish statements. The first drivers were a mix of moonshine runners ( their cars were sponsored by their own business) Some were even driving the family vehicle and literally drove it to the track and home again if they could fix it. Most of these guys had full time jobs during the week and worked evening to get their car ready for the next race. Some even had family and friends helping for free and usually were compensated by a free meal and a couple of beers. Some of these early racers had sons who helped in the garage at night and later built their own race cars from parts scavenged from a wreaking yard.
Richard Petty was one of those kids and maybe the first guy to get good sponsor money. But he got his start because his daddy was already into racing. His daddy was Lee Petty. Kyle Petty got his start because his daddy and grandfather were racers.
Dale Earnhardt's daddy was also a racer and with the help of family. His name was Ralph and he helped his son get into racing. By then sponsors were quite common and a necessity if you wanted to be successful. Because of Dales career, his son Dale jr., Kerry, and Jefferey were also able to get a start in racing. BTW, it has been said that the daughter Kelly was better than all the sons.
The cost of racing is so high now that no one can afford to start up a successful Cup team and be anywhere near competitive. Millionaires have tried only to make a quick exit.

The spoon fed rich kids of today are a product of very high prices and it takes big money just to find out if your even competitive. The best Jeff Gordon could do was have his family support his early career where he got a chance to prove he could get the job done and that led to him getting a chance in someone else car in the lower series which in turn ended up with him at HMS. But make no mistake he earned everything he got from then on.

Yes there are some sons who have a ride only because their family business is supporting them but I can only think of 3 right now. Other than those 3 every driver on the track has had to claw and beg to get a ride. Some make it and others don't.

Check out this link and see how many little rich kids you can name.

http://www.racing-reference.info/

When Kahne went to Hendrick, people were saying he was the best driver in the stable and would win championships. For years and years, he was labeled as "underrated". Honestlly, I'm shocked he hasn't won more races, and I have never really thought much of Kasey Kahne.

And people think this guy can win the championship. Against Kyle Busch who is the best driver in the best car with the best team behind him.
Kahne can still drive. What he needs is a real tough CC to read him the riot act. He's complacent.

Back
Top Bottom