If this happened in NASCAR what would be done?

Compare the fencing …

1681489585751.jpeg

1681489961901.jpeg

Thanks Aunty.

Perhaps a road course?
Daytona has the best fencing in the game. The Portimão fencing is probably not all that different from or better than fencing you see at places like Pocono, Watkins Glen, Chicago, Charlotte doesn’t even have oval turn 3 fencing still, iirc.

Although it’s amusing Portimão is an FIA Grade 1 circuit with Daytona’s road course being Grade 2.

Interesting that the fence in one of those pics doesnt look damaged....

Daytona has the best fencing in the game. The Portimão fencing is probably not all that different from or better than fencing you see at places like Pocono, Watkins Glen, Chicago, Charlotte doesn’t even have oval turn 3 fencing still, iirc.

Although it’s amusing Portimão is an FIA Grade 1 circuit with Daytona’s road course being Grade 2.
The end of the frontstretch at Portimao goes downhill quite a lot, I wonder if the car got air.
This is pretty concerning, when the WEC race takes place on Sunday there might be a few people sitting in these spots.

I don't wanna imagine what would've happened if that grandstand was packed.
If this happened in a NASCAR race they'd probably go broke from the damages they would have to pay.

Interesting that the fence in one of those pics doesnt look damaged....
Don't look at the fence directly behind the car in the first photo. In the second photo, look to the right; you can see where the damaged portion has already been removed.

Gonna take a crane to get that out of there. Or charge extra to sit beside it...

Pocono
1681493664200.png

Watkins Glenn....you get the idea. Dinky fence

1681493782742.png

The end of the frontstretch at Portimao goes downhill quite a lot, I wonder if the car got air.
This is pretty concerning, when the WEC race takes place on Sunday there might be a few people sitting in these spots.

I don't wanna imagine what would've happened if that grandstand was packed.
If this happened in a NASCAR race they'd probably go broke from the damages they would have to pay.
Definitely a high speed corner, I wonder if the splitter dug in and sent it flying.

I imagine it’ll be closed for the weekend, lots of repairs and reinforcements to make.

Pocono
View attachment 69964

Watkins Glenn....you get the idea. Dinky fence

View attachment 69965
Watkins Glen doesn’t have real fencing on the run up from the top of the esses to the Bus Stop, the fastest part of the course. It’s guard rail and then a small pedestrian fence further back, but not anything that a car flipping like that would struggle to get over.

DD73B8D4-F7EC-414D-8DFB-CD3D574E06C6.gif

57B085BD-DC77-4DE4-B706-2624BE8F5D13.jpeg

The fencing at that track looks like something you'd see at your local short track. Very sub-standard.

Watkins Glen doesn’t have real fencing on the run up from the top of the esses to the Bus Stop, the fastest part of the course. It’s guard rail and then a small pedestrian fence further back, but not anything that a car flipping like that would struggle to get over.

View attachment 69966

View attachment 69967
Do you see any spectators within 50 feet...look closely, they are standing behind a fence. Where they are allowed, there is a very tall, very strong fence.

Danny, at one point, was selling “obstructed view” seats at fedex. They were right behind support columns, couldn’t see squat.

Oh crap, I saw beside and thought it was behind. Lol. Move along, nothing to see here.

In any case I would never want to be a track owner or promoter for the reasons covered in this thread.
I always want to honor the drivers who have lost their lives racing. They pursued the dream and their passion they lived and died honorably.

But nothing in my opinion, could match the seriousness of being responsible to put on safe races and to ensure no fan is ever killed or even injured due on the track incident. Racing is organized madness and mayhem, so many moving parts and so many things can go wrong in less than a few seconds.

I love racing and the excitement, but somebody else can worry about being responsible to keep it as safe as possible. The track owners and promoters are the biggest risk takers.

Do you see any spectators within 50 feet...look closely, they are standing behind a fence. Where they are allowed, there is a very tall, very strong fence.
That fence is maybe 5’ at best and much closer to the racing surface than where the car at Portimao wound up.

F3109FAF-28EE-492A-87F2-86FEF120604D.jpeg

4DFC9B0A-403C-44FB-89BF-37B694712BBE.jpeg

As an side I hate sand traps but they are a great way to limit high speed collisions with a wall.

That fence is maybe 5’ at best and much closer to the racing surface than where the car at Portimao wound up.

View attachment 69973

View attachment 69974
The left side of the photo has the large and high fence and that is where spectators are, the right side out of the foreground is a sharp right hander with tons of grass. Once again Spectators aren't allowed close to the track where there aren't large fences.

The left side of the photo has the large and high fence and that is where spectators are, the right side out of the foreground is a sharp right hander with tons of grass. Once again Spectators aren't allowed close to the track where there aren't large fences.
The inner Bus Stop itself has large fencing, the run up to it does not. There are fans and campers on both sides of the backstretch with the smaller fencing. You can see all of them lined up on it in #18.

If this happened in NASCAR, millions of viewers would probably witness death on live TV. It would be a major scandal.

That being said, the fencing in that Portimao track looks super weak. I doubt something like that happens in NASCAR. I mean, the car went right through the fence, not over it.

Seeing this brings me back to the July 2015 Austin Dillon wreck at Daytona. Not one fan or driver killed…tells me nascar is one of the safest forms of Motorsport in the world.

Safety standards at Portimao were already being criticized during the MotoGP weekend three weeks ago.
Apparently the car had a brake failure which is unfortunate but something you can expect to happen from time to time in racing.
There's really no excuse for this.
As an side I hate sand traps but they are a great way to limit high speed collisions with a wall.
I very much prefer gravel traps over asphalt runoffs but if a car is coming at 300 kph with no brakes neither will stop it.

Speaking of dirt track safety
Screenshot_20230415_203322_Facebook.jpg

Speaking of dirt track safety
View attachment 69994
I’ve been to some dirt tracks up here in New York that have fences only a foot or two taller than I am… One track up here has a chicken wire fence on the frontstretch about 7 feet high, and the rest of the track is a one or two block tall wall with no catch fence. Mind you, it’s built on a hillside. If you flip over the backstretch wall, you’re in for a ride. Thunder Mountain Speedway in Lisle, NY.

Seeing this brings me back to the July 2015 Austin Dillon wreck at Daytona. Not one fan or driver killed…tells me nascar is one of the safest forms of Motorsport in the world.

Seeing this brings me back to the July 2015 Austin Dillon wreck at Daytona. Not one fan or driver killed…tells me nascar is one of the "LUCKIEST" forms of Motorsport in the world.

:fixed:

Seeing this brings me back to the July 2015 Austin Dillon wreck at Daytona. Not one fan or driver killed…tells me nascar is one of the "LUCKIEST" forms of Motorsport in the world.

:fixed:
It didn’t need fixing..... but go ahead and knock your socks off.

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
Back
Top Bottom