indy attendance ouch!!!!

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
did anyone else see the stands during the race. I would say at best the place was 40% full, the front stretch seating looked half full and the stands in the turns looked like the race was being run during a rainout. This race has to be in jeopardy of loosing its 2nd largest race status. what in the world has caused such horrible attendance at indy??

I don't know the attendance number, I do know that Indy would look empty with 100K people in it.
The actual number could be impressive, but still look small.
Think of Bristol --- any place would be happy with 60K in attendance, but Bristol looks almost empty.

The terrance tower seats on the inside of pit row looked almost completely filled and the front stretch and turn 4 looked pretty filled up. I bet it broke 100k, but just barely.

Of course it looks like a small crowd it seats over 300K.

And if you've never been there it has to be the worst track to watch a race live. Because no matter where you sit you can't see more than 1/3 of the track unless you have a TV.

I've been in the upper tier on the front stretch -- from up there you can see all of Turn 1 and most of the short chute.
Most of the short chute between 3 and 4, all of Turn 4. Pretty decent for such a big track.

Yes I was a little surprised at the lack of attendance, only the seats behind the pits and near the finish line were full, rest were scattered or empty. You should've seen the Rolex sports car race, it was close to 0% attendance.

Of course it looks like a small crowd it seats over 300K.

And if you've never been there it has to be the worst track to watch a race live. Because no matter where you sit you can't see more than 1/3 of the track unless you have a TV.
There's really only one way reply to this inciteful remark:
tNsXBWy.jpg

I don't know the attendance number, I do know that Indy would look empty with 100K people in it.
The actual number could be impressive, but still look small.
Think of Bristol --- any place would be happy with 60K in attendance, but Bristol looks almost empty.

yep.......unless ya been there......can't understand how big it is.
went ta 1st an 2nd races.......packed .
only thing i remember is sterling marlin car.....way behind pack ...w/ new funky soundin pipes.
too much prerace sippin in infield sponsor tents . ha!

The NNS race looked to have 20k at best.

People aren't going to spend good money to watch single-race racing on a big track. It says something when the Indy 500 outdraws the Brickyard 400.

People aren't going to spend good money to watch single-race racing on a big track. It says something when the Indy 500 outdraws the Brickyard 400.

What's "single-race racing"?

The 500 is an international event, the 400, not so much.

The 500 is an international event, the 400, not so much.
I actually thought the Cup racing was much better than years past, didn't see the NW race, but from the Sports Center clips looked pretty empty in the stands. I think Indy is a race all drivers want to add to their resumes, but I also feel that unless ratings and attendance improve it might be in danger of going bye bye in the next 5 years. I'd love to see them switch both races back to IRP and add the trucks to that weekend, now that would be cool!

I actually thought the Cup racing was much better than years past, didn't see the NW race, but from the Sports Center clips looked pretty empty in the stands. I think Indy is a race all drivers want to add to their resumes, but I also feel that unless ratings and attendance improve it might be in danger of going bye bye in the next 5 years. I'd love to see them switch both races back to IRP and add the trucks to that weekend, now that would be cool!

I agree. Iowa would be another alternative for the cup race. You are time stamping yourself somewhat with the IRP use. ;)

Is this the same thread that gets posted every year following the Brickyard?

Yes, it is. I was watching the race yesterday at a pub. Most of the people were complaining about the racing at IMS. I have to go back several years to remember a really great race there. The track hasn't changed. The cars have changed several times and the speed was higher so what happened to the racing?

Yes, it is. I was watching the race yesterday at a pub. Most of the people were complaining about the racing at IMS. I have to go back several years to remember a really great race there. The track hasn't changed. The cars have changed several times and the speed was higher so what happened to the racing?

Different tracks just have different styles of racing. Ever since they started really sealing off the fronts of the cars with splitters, passing at high speed single groove tracks has been very difficult.

There were tickets on e-bay for as low as $20.00 that NEVER sold.....The novelty of INDY has worn off....And seasoned hardcore NASCRAP fans know the racing SUCKS @ Indy.....

Different tracks just have different styles of racing. Ever since they started really sealing off the fronts of the cars with splitters, passing at high speed single groove tracks has been very difficult.

Do you consider IMS a single groove track?

There were tickets on e-bay for as low as $20.00 that NEVER sold.....The novelty of INDY has worn off....And seasoned hardcore NASCRAP fans know the racing SUCKS @ Indy.....

I posted this yesterday. I have a lady friend who works for a local radio station. They gave away a ton of tickets and only had a few get picked up.

It be hard to validate any other argument than the lack of fans in the stands is due to the fans interest in that track. Sure, economics is involved too but the best times have gone by the wayside for the Brickyard 400. Maybe when they install the lights there it'll turn around somewhat. I guess time will tell.

It's a shame really. The drivers seem to love the prestige of a win @ Indy. Many fans don't seem to embrace that track.

The novelty of nascar has worn off pretty much along with a crappy economy. I used to attend lots of races and I dont care if I ever see another one in person. Too expensive for this poor boy.

I would be more inclined to make the trip to Indy if the Nationwide race were still at IRP. Most fans don't want to watch one stock car race at the Brickyard, let alone two.

Do you consider IMS a single groove track?
Yeah it is. The track got even more narrow since they started racing there. They took the paved aprons out of the insides of the corners and put grass down. They did that to keep the Indy cars from cutting down in the corners. They were loosing it down there and hitting the walls almost head on. It really became a single lane track for the bigger Nascars after that. So not only have the cars changed, but the track has changed for the worse IMO. Leader can hug the bottom in the turns, hardly any way to get under them or around them in the turns anymore if you get a run. The cars are so similar in performance in cup, that passing on any track is hard. Speeds are too fast on most of the big tracks to try it, and any little thing screws up the car's Aero. If you bump anybody, you can screw up your whole race if you get just minor damage. Just like F1 and Indycar.o_O That's the way it is, the bumping and banging fans don't like it, time will tell if they try to change anything. I don't see it happening in cup, way too much money invested in the way it is, and big money T.V. deals are still rolling in.

yes indy is single groove, what race were you watching in reponse to someone suggesting its not. its very very easy to see why the track is single groove. if a guy stays low in the turns the guy behind him has nearly all the air taken off his nose. in order to pass at indy you have to be quite a bit faster than the guy in front of you to be able to come off the corner and get under the guy going down the straights, and even that is tuff because you jump outside the draft along the straights, get a car behind you helping and you can really dive bomb a guy getting into 1 or 3 sometimes the draft can be so strong in that situation 2 cars can get by. thats how you pass at indy basically circumstances have to come together, once the cars are strung out I personally think you are going to have to be at least 2-4 10ths a lap faster than the guy in front of you to pass them

yes indy is single groove, what race were you watching in reponse to someone suggesting its not. its very very easy to see why the track is single groove. if a guy stays low in the turns the guy behind him has nearly all the air taken off his nose. in order to pass at indy you have to be quite a bit faster than the guy in front of you to be able to come off the corner and get under the guy going down the straights, and even that is tuff because you jump outside the draft along the straights, get a car behind you helping and you can really dive bomb a guy getting into 1 or 3 sometimes the draft can be so strong in that situation 2 cars can get by. thats how you pass at indy basically circumstances have to come together, once the cars are strung out I personally think you are going to have to be at least 2-4 10ths a lap faster than the guy in front of you to pass them

Yep that is how you have to do it. They took out running up on a guy by drafting down the straight, out braking him and getting him loose in the corner and squeezing by on the apron, when they took them out and planted freakin grass.

The novelty of nascar has worn off pretty much along with a crappy economy. I used to attend lots of races and I dont care if I ever see another one in person.
I don't mean for this to be negative towards ElliotFan at all, but I think this sentiment is a big part of why Indy doesn't sell out these days. I remember that the idea of having a stock car race at Indy was influenced greatly by fans from Indiana and Illinois who were requesting and buying tickets for both Michigan races. That's also why ISC wanted very badly to build a track near Chicago - they knew who was buying/wanting tickets to Michigan and where they lived. Now, the market is probably diluted by races in Michigan, Chicago, and Kentucky, and regular race fans just don't have the disposable income they had when NASCAR's popularity was peaking in the early-mid 90's.

I'm not saying that the level of competition isn't lacking for stock cars at Indy, but that isn't all because of the track. Some folks have posted in this thread and elsewhere that the new car is still being sorted out, and only fans of the winning team like it when one team is dominant, especially when they are for season after season. Somebody complains no matter what; they're either too spread out and can't pass, or too bunched up and there's no skill. I'm surprised at how many people dislike the two car draft, since it resulted in some of the most green flag passes for the lead and 4 & 5 cars racing for the win after 500 miles at Talladega a few years ago.

Yeah it is. The track got even more narrow since they started racing there. They took the paved aprons out of the insides of the corners and put grass down. They did that to keep the Indy cars from cutting down in the corners. They were loosing it down there and hitting the walls almost head on. It really became a single lane track for the bigger Nascars after that. So not only have the cars changed, but the track has changed for the worse IMO. Leader can hug the bottom in the turns, hardly any way to get under them or around them in the turns anymore if you get a run. The cars are so similar in performance in cup, that passing on any track is hard. Speeds are too fast on most of the big tracks to try it, and any little thing screws up the car's Aero. If you bump anybody, you can screw up your whole race if you get just minor damage. Just like F1 and Indycar.o_O That's the way it is, the bumping and banging fans don't like it, time will tell if they try to change anything. I don't see it happening in cup, way too much money invested in the way it is, and big money T.V. deals are still rolling in.

maybe they'll put paved aprons back in just fer 400 next yr ?

Empty seats?........get over it.

I'm really tired of these threads........yes the economy sucks right now...Get Over It!
Every blooming week I hear this....... attendance is down....the sky is falling.....

Indy is now offering to exclusively reserve any of their grandstand towers to any group of eight or more, that is willing to commit to attending the 2014 event.

@nascarcasm
Can't get folks to a race here in Indy, but pass out free cake on the circle, and you have a 5-block line

BQbIXpZCMAA_9Ey.jpg:large

Empty seats?........get over it.

I'm really tired of these threads........yes the economy sucks right now...Get Over It!
Every blooming week I hear this....... attendance is down....the sky is falling.....

Not going to happen Clutch, Boring, not enough passing, nobody in the stands(they aren't there either). oh yeah don't forget Media experts..I'm one of those when TNT is around.
Sky.jpg

Back
Top Bottom