Interview with FOX's David Hill - More emphasis on drivers & shorter races

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Dustin Long article on yesterdays interview with David Hill of FOX.....

“What this sport is all about is the driver. Everything else in NASCAR is an afterthought. People follow the sport because the drivers are heroes because that’s what the fans want to hear _ superheroes that can do things that only very, very few people can or will. Anyone can be a crew chief. Anyone can be a tire changer. Anyone with the technical ability. Just think about what it takes to drive a car 200 miles an hour. As Bill France Jr. kept reiterating (something Ernest Hemingway once wrote which was) there are three sports: Mountain climbing, bullfighting and auto racing. All the rest of the games.

(HOW DO YOU GET THE FANS MORE INTERESTED IN THE DRIVERS? YOU HAD SUCH A TIGHT POINTS RACE THIS YEAR AND THE (TV) NUMBERS SAY THE FANS DIDN’T WATCH AS MUCH.

HILL: “I believe what has happened, unintentionally probably, is that the emphasis, you guys (the media) are to blame as much as anybody else of moving the emphasis away from the driver. The Car of Tomorrow became the greatest red herring in the history of this sport. It took the emphasis away from the heroes. What we’re trying to do with our programming (on Fox and Speed) is to move it back. There were two things that the people fell in love with, the heroes that drove these cars at breakneck speed and risked death for glory and the car they drove their kids to church and school in. You were either a Ford man or a GM man. You followed these drivers, who were prepared to risk all for glory. It was the wonderful emotion that still resonates with people and I think that there’s been so much discussion about the car and this and that that the whole issue has been confused. What Speed will do this coming season is put the emphasis right back where it belongs and that’s on the driver.

"For heaven’s sake, we’ve got a situation where we’ve got Green Bay going to the Super Bowl, so the ghost of Vince Lombardi is coming down with what five Super Bowls. We have Jimmie Johnson. How many championships has he won? Five. It’s one of the most remarkable things I’ve ever seen in world sport and everyone is treating it as if it’s ho-hum. You people are treating it as ho-hum. Oh yes he’s won again. You are so blasé. Honestly, what’s wrong with you? Don’t you realize what Jimmie Johnson has achieved?

(SO WHAT IS FOX GOING TO DO WITH ITS NASCAR COVERAGE?)

HILL: "Fox is going to concentrate on the driver, too. Right across the board. We’re putting the emphasis back where it belongs on the driver.''

(WHAT’S MISSING WITH THE DRIVER?)

HILL: “We probably haven’t utilized Darrell (Waltrip’s) inner knowledge enough. Darrell is the only one on our (announcing) team, in reality who is a champion. He understands the motivation and what goes on. I don’t know. Is it instinct or is it skill? This is something that I’ve talked to the Alain Prosts about and the Jackie Stewarts. What is it? There’s something that drives them. What we’re going to be doing at Fox and what we’re going to be doing at Speed is telling stories of drivers.’’

(WHAT ABOUT AN EXTENDED POST-RACE SHOW WHERE YOU CAN SHOW EMOTION THERE? WILL YOU HAVE MORE OF THAT?)

HILL: "No. We’ve got to get off air. (Speed does provide a post-race show, though).''

(WOULD SHORTER RACES HELP?)

HILL: “Oh yeah, definitely. Absolutely. Oh yeah. I think the races are far too long. Right now there are more diversions, I don’t want to use the word diversion, there’s more opportunity for stuff than at any time in man’s history. I think that a lot of the races are too long. I think probably three hours would be ideal.''

(IF THE NFL HAS A LOCKOUT THIS FALL, HOW WILL THAT BENEFIT NASCAR?)

HILL: “They’ll play. They will play.’’

(IF YOU HAD A THREE HOUR RACE, HOW LONG A BROADCAST WOULD YOU HAVE?)

HILL: “Four hours. I think that probably 30-40 minutes to set it up, do the race and then tell the story of the race in 15 minutes. That was the beauty of Speed to take the viewer across there to do that analysis.

(YOU WERE VOCAL LAST YEAR ABOUT THE MALE 18-34 AUDIENCE DECLINING IN NASCAR VIEWERSHIP)

HILL: “No. Someone asked me a question and I said yes. They’re gone. No one rang me up. None of you people picked the phone up and asked what did you mean. You took that one quote and I saw it amplified out of all proportion. The thing that worries me is where are the basic rules of journalism? Do you bother to pick the phone up and check or because a group of words exist does that suddenly become fact? So didn’t make a big song and dance. Someone said, you read the numbers and they’re there. The next thing, Hill says. You people took my words from an innocent and blew it up. Not one of you had decency or professionalism to call me up and say what did you mean?

(NOTE: Hill made his comments in late spring 2010 to the Sports Business Journal. I did a July 25, 2010 story looking at the issue and used Hill’s quote. I sought Hill for the story but Fox Sports President Eric Shanks was made available for the story. I interviewed Shanks and quoted him about the issue.

“You look at the figures (male 18-34 audience) that is down. I wasn’t screaming. I wasn’t tearing up. Someone said are they down? I said, yes they are.

(ARE YOU CONCERNED?)

HILL: “Of course you are concerned when any rating drops. Of course you are.

(HOW CAN IT BE FIXED?)

HILL: “I don’t know. They are trying desperately.’’

(ARE YOU SEEING ANY TYPE OF MOVEMENT THAT CAN INCREASE THE MALE 18-34 VIEWERSHIP IN THE TIME SINCE YOUR COMMENT?)

HILL: “I can’t really say that until we’ve been on the air for three races. I’m very, very proud of what (Fox producers) Barry Landis, Richie Zyontz and Artie Kempner and our announcers week by week. I think that all views on television obviously is subjective, and I think what Barry and Richie and Artie does is the best auto coverage in the world. I will be looking very closely at the figures for the first three weeks to see what’s going on. You look at the demographic breakdown and you see what happens. The main thing I’m going to be looking at is the weather and praying for warm sunny days.’’

(SO I SHOULD CALL YOU AFTER THREE WEEKS IN THE SEASON?)

HILL: “Absolutely.’’

(SHOULD WE CARE ABOUT THE POINTS AND HOW IT MIGHT CHANGE?)

HILL: “Of course you should. I think the points didn’t emphasize winning enough. I’ve been covering motorsports since I was 17. … The hero was the one who won, not three points here, seven points there. Listen, sports is about winning.

(DO CONSISTENT START TIMES WORK FOR YOU?)

HILL: “Oh sure.’’

(WHEN NASCAR PRESIDENT MIKE HELTON SAYS START TIMES NEED TO BE LOOKED AT THAT’S NOT ON FOX’S END?)

HILL: “Well, again, if they want to look at it. For me, I would have continuity. I would have truck race on Friday night, I would have the Nationwide race Saturday night and I would have the Cup on at 1 o’clock Sunday. Bang, so everyone knows when it’s on. Everyone knows the football games. Football games are 1 o’clock Sunday. Football games 4 o’clock Sunday. There’s a game on Monday night and game on Sunday night. There are too many other things going on in people’s lives.’’

(YOU’RE IN YEAR FIVE OF THE EIGHT-YEAR CONTRACT WITH NASCAR. HOW SOON DO YOU START TO TALK ABOUT A NEW DEAL AND AM I SAFE TO SAY YOU WANT TO CONTINUE WITH NASCAR?)

HILL: “Oh absolutely. In a kind of way you’re always working on a new deal.’’

(NASCAR IS STILL A GOOD BUSINESS FOR FOX?)

HILL: “Not as good as it was.’’

(BUT NOT SO BAD THAT THREE YEARS FROM NOW YOU’RE RUNNING FOR THE HILL)

HILL: “Three years is a long time.

(LOT OF TALK ABOUT ONLINE STREAMINING OF RACES. YOU SAID IN THE PAST YOU DON’T WANT TO DO IT TO PROTECT THE AFFILATES THAT CARRY THE RACE. IS THAT STILL THE FEELING?)

HILL: “Absolutely.’’

(WHAT MORE CAN YOU DO IN A DIGITAL SENSE WITH YOUR BROADCAST?)

HILL: “In reality. I think the enjoyment is still watching passively. I think that HD with 5.1 surround sound, I think the experience that we give to the home viewer is absolutely sensational. Watching it on portable devices, I don’t know if that’s got that much appeal.’’

(WOULD THAT NOT BE A WAY TO REACH THAT 18-34 MALE CROWD?)

HILL: “Just think about it yourself sitting and watching it. You’re going to sit down and and look down where are they, these little pins running around (on the smaller screen)

(SO THERE’S NO GOOD REASON TO DO IT?)

HILL: “We have no imminent plans.’’

A couple other random notes about FOX networks coverage for this NASCAR season.....

Dierks Bentley sings the new theme song for Fox's "Sideways" introduction to race coverage.

Fox has new steering graphics where you can see how much drivers are turning the wheel going into corners! (just how loose are they?)

Just for the record I disagree, I'm pretty sure not everyone can be a crew chief:rolleyes:

Great interview. I'm not surprised that a person whose job depends on TV ratings doesn't' think that an online presence matters. ;)

He's right on the Start times, too bad NASCAR didn't actually do it the way he described it last year.

The NFL is on at the same time every weekend. As an NFL fan, I always know that I have to plop my butt down on the couch at 1:00 EST for the kickoff of the first game, 4:14 EST for the second game kickoff. All I have to do is check the clock and I'm good to go.

NASCAR's version (last year). Figure out what time zone the race is in, then try to guess how much pregame they are going to cram in before they wave the green flag.

If NASCAR set it up like the NFL, Green flag would be at something like 2:00 EST every Sunday, regardless of where the race is or whatever pre-race nonsense is going on.

Nascar needs one network only(other than the All-star and shooutout). That way everyone knows exactly what channel it's on. At this point I really don't care which network be it FOX, TNT, ABC/ESPN, Speed...........just pick one.

Nascar needs one network only(other than the All-star and shooutout). That way everyone knows exactly what channel it's on. At this point I really don't care which network be it FOX, TNT, ABC/ESPN, Speed...........just pick one.

I'd have to agree here. I think the reason NFL has multiple networks is because they have multiple games in one day. Nascar does not have Multiple races in one day, so honestly they should stick with one network.

ESPN, 1pm every week except for the left coast. And they should cut back the night races.

I think FOX will run in 2015 and ESPN and/or TNT take over the entire schedule.

And by 1pm, I mean the command is delivered at exactly 1pm. SPEED has two hours of prerace nonsense and the networks have another hour. For chrissake, FOX and TNT used to have 90 minute and 2 hour prerace shows.

The pre race for the Daytona 500 is the worse. My god it seems like it's 3 hours long. I just pass on all that now and turn on right at green flag time.

I don't really care what time they have it on. It's easy enough to find out. If for some reason I'm not there to watch it, my DVR will record it regardless of the channel or time.

As far as it being televised exclusively on one channel. I don't see that ever happening. The season is way too long for any of the major networks to carry. I think there would be way too many conflicts with other sports throughout the year.

The pre race for the Daytona 500 is the worse. My god it seems like it's 3 hours long. I just pass on all that now and turn on right at green flag time.

FOX did a two hour prerace show for Talladega a couple years ago. It was infuriating.

Pre-race during football season is the worst -- by the time they have the engines fired, the opposing team has already put up 17 points against the Redskins.

This is something that I’ve talked to the Alain Prosts about and the Jackie Stewarts. What is it? There’s something that drives them. What we’re going to be doing at Fox and what we’re going to be doing at Speed is telling stories of drivers.

It's not going to be any stories from current drivers.Because their stories are no where near as entertaining as old.Plus more DW= Epic FAIL.

TV coverage discussion... well, instead of kirking out and "ARGH :espnsux: FOX sucks!", I'm going to put my suggestions in.

Two hours of pre-race on SPEED plus an hour on FOX/ESPN/TNT or whomever is overkill.

SPEED, fine. Pre-race is their thing. But for the race, just get right in to it. Start coverage at 12:30, interview a couple drivers, get your predictions out of the way then go to pre-race ceremonies starting at 12:50. 1pm comes, air the command, show the starting lineup (something they never do anymore), race analysis (something else they never do anymore), get the last minute stories from pit road and get the show on the road.

As for commercials, I agree with what someone posted yesterday. A commercial break by lap 6 at Bristol is absolutely asinine. I remember VERSUS during an IRL race last year went to commercial with three laps to go. TNT is notorious for going to commercial inside the final 10 laps. One race last year on TNT, I turned it on when I got off work and they were at commercials -- returned with 4 laps to go or something.

As for pre-empted race broadcasts, something FOX and ESPN are both very notorious for... if the baseball/basketbore/football/whatever game is not over by the time the green flag waves (Nationwide or Cup), that race should start on pre-designated networks (SPEED, ESPN2 or ESPN Classic) until the network can pick it up... that race should also be streamed live online on NASCAR.com in its entirety.

ANY race that is on cable (TNT, ESPN, ESPN2, SPEED) should also be put online at NASCAR.com and ESPN3.

As for Monday races, those races should be put online and simulcast on SPEED so those of us who have FOX affiliates that bail out can still see the race. EVERY Monday afternoon race should get a primetime encore on SPEED.

If an on board shot is going to be used during a live on track battle for position, the network should split-screen and show the on-board shot plus the camera angle shot... although it's my genuine belief that the on board shots should be reserved for replays only.

As for replays during live green flag racing, the split screen method should be utilized (FOX does this as does TNT sometimes... ESPN and SPEED not so much).

The networks should try to limit green flag commercial periods as much as they can. Instead of using caution periods for 5 minute updates from the infield studio, get as many commercials as you can in during those times so you can show more racing.

Also, every network partner should promote the races during any NASCAR programming. If ESPN is airing a Nationwide race, they should be forced by NASCAR to promote the Cup race on FOX or TNT. Same goes with SPEED.

The overuse of Sportvision (I'm talking to you TNT) has got to go as well.

I'm just trying to figure out where you all are coming from..... Do you all watch the pre-race and then complain about it or do you just complain because there is a long pre-race? There's a handy little section on Jayski that tells you, to the minute, when the green flag is to be waved. It's pretty well spot on. It's under the 'Next Race' section.

I'm just trying to figure out where you all are coming from..... Do you all watch the pre-race and then complain about it or do you just complain because there is a long pre-race? There's a handy little section on Jayski that tells you, to the minute, when the green flag is to be waved. It's pretty well spot on. It's under the 'Next Race' section.

I don't watch them. The problem I have is that, by the time the green flag waves, the opposing team already has 17 on the board against the Redskins and I'm glued to the trainwreck that is Washington Redskins football under Snottie and Shanahan.

I miss the days of Dick Bergrann and Chris Economaki on pit road interviewing a few drivers right before the race starts. Pre race lasted about 10 minutes opening with Ken Squier telling you how hot it was in the summertime in Alabama.

I would like 30 min prerace and 30 post race. Not taped delayed like victory lane on Speed. I agree with shorter races.

I wouldn't have a problem with an extended pre-race show if they stuck to auto racing. Maybe have some content pertaining to a certain team each week, or testing footage or pre-race tech inspection footage.
I can really do without irrevelant crap such as gopher comics.

what the heck did you all watch last season the season I watched you turned on at 1 it started by 1:15:confused:

I miss the days of Dick Bergrann and Chris Economaki on pit road interviewing a few drivers right before the race starts. Pre race lasted about 10 minutes opening with Ken Squier telling you how hot it was in the summertime in Alabama.

I would like 30 min prerace and 30 post race. Not taped delayed like victory lane on Speed. I agree with shorter races.

Perfect, that is what i like too, Chris Economaki was the best!

The point is to have as many races on broadcast as possible. Having the Daytona 500 on SPEED (which is second tier cable for many people) is epic fail.

Exactly. It needs to be on network television. It needs to be promoted in mass. Last years ESPN televised Chase race ratings only magnify that point. This past seasons NCAA bowl game ratings show that as well.

The NFL is on at the same time every weekend. As an NFL fan, I always know that I have to plop my butt down on the couch at 1:00 EST for the kickoff of the first game, 4:14 EST for the second game kickoff. All I have to do is check the clock and I'm good to go.

NASCAR's version (last year). Figure out what time zone the race is in, then try to guess how much pregame they are going to cram in before they wave the green flag.

If NASCAR set it up like the NFL, Green flag would be at something like 2:00 EST every Sunday, regardless of where the race is or whatever pre-race nonsense is going on.

The coverage last year was simple. All races started at 1:15 except for the west coast races that started at 3:15 (the only exception being the second Texas race). All night races started around 7:45. It was pretty simple. Ignore the pre-race shows' times. They do it that way to suck you in. All you have to do is look on nascar.com or other sites to see exactly when the race is supposed to start.

The coverage last year was simple. All races started at 1:15 except for the west coast races that started at 3:15 (the only exception being the second Texas race). All night races started around 7:45. It was pretty simple. Ignore the pre-race shows' times. They do it that way to suck you in. All you have to do is look on nascar.com or other sites to see exactly when the race is supposed to start.

I agree, but I think you missing the point. In the NFL, there are no exceptions to the 1:00 PM EST rule. He's saying there needs to be no exceptions for NASCAR, and I agree.

I agree, but I think you missing the point. In the NFL, there are no exceptions to the 1:00 PM EST rule. He's saying there needs to be no exceptions for NASCAR, and I agree.

So do I, 1pm for east coast, 3:30pm for west coast races, and night races should start at 7pm. 8 is too late, by the time it is over, it is past Midnight.

So for there to be no exception a race in California needs to start at 10 am PST?

Back
Top Bottom