IROC news

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
IROC Won't Return to Indianapolis in 2004: The International Race of Champions will not return this year to Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The four-race all-star competition with a dozen top drivers from different racing series has competed at Indianapolis in conjunction with NASCAR's Brickyard 400 each year since 1998. But the series, which lost longtime sponsor True Value, is not included among the events on the Speedway's 2004 schedule. "At the end of 2003, the series was at a crossroads, and IMS needed to go forward with its schedule," speedway spokesman Ron Green said Friday. "There are no immediate plans to replace IROC on the Brickyard 400 weekend schedule." IROC spokesman George Signore said the series has landed another sponsor and will continue at four other tracks, which he would not identify. - AP/The Abilene Reporter News

Crown Royal has been named the new title sponsor...a multi-year agreement will be announced this Thursday, supposedly the first race will be at Daytona on Feb 13th and will start at 5:00pm/et and they will race under the lights. Live TV on Speed Channel. As for cars , they will run the same IROC chassis that they ran last season which were were Firebirds but Pontiac isn't a sponsor so they have been dubbed "IROC chassis". No word on the drivers yet.

TMS set to host IROC race
By John Sturbin
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Texas Motor Speedway apparently is close to adding another prestigious event to its 2004 motorsports schedule.

Officials of the International Race of Champions Series have scheduled a teleconference for "major announcements" on Thursday afternoon, when IROC president Jay Signore is expected to name TMS as one of four venues on the all-oval schedule. Signore also will announce a new title sponsor for the series, which previously has been financially backed by TrueValue Hardware.

Signore will be joined on the call by NASCAR Nextel Cup Series driver Kurt Busch, the reigning champion from IROC XXVII.

Contacted at IROC headquarters in Tinton Falls, N.J., on Monday night, Signore said IROC was "in negotiation with them [TMS officials], but you'll have to wait until Thursday. You'll find out on Thursday."

Eddie Gossage, executive vice president and general manager of TMS, declined to confirm the 1.5-mile quadoval in Fort Worth would play host to its inaugural IROC race this spring.

"IROC will announce their plans Thursday," Gossage said. "For me to say anything before that wouldn't be appropriate. We're always trying to make the schedule better. If we were successful in landing an IROC race, that would be a real home run."

IROC would become the sixth major series competing on TMS' 24-degree banked paved oval. The lineup already includes NASCAR's Nextel Cup, Busch Grand National and Craftsman Truck series, and the Indy Racing League's IndyCar and Infiniti Pro series.

IROC is an invitational series matching 12 championship drivers from different forms of motorsports in equally prepared Pontiac Firebird stock cars, running on Goodyear radial racing tires. Drivers from NASCAR's three major touring series, the IRL and Championship Auto Racing Teams typically have dominated IROC fields.

The series is designed to eliminate mechanical advantages and produce a winner based solely upon driver skill. The format consists of four 100-mile sprint races, usually staged as a Saturday afternoon "support race" during a NASCAR Nextel Cup weekend. Points awarded at each event determine the overall champion.

The 28th edition of IROC is scheduled to open at the 2.5-mile Daytona International Speedway on Friday, Feb. 13, two days before the Nextel Cup season-opening Daytona 500. No other IROC dates have been confirmed, but the series finale at the 2.5-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway fell off the '04 Brickyard 400 weekend schedule last Friday. Last year's schedule included Daytona, the 2.66-mile Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway, the 2-mile Michigan International Speedway and IMS, which had served as host for the IROC finale since 1998.

Because the series has been dominated by NASCAR Nextel Cup drivers, the race at TMS is expected to be run in conjunction with the Samsung/RadioShack 500 weekend in Fort Worth April 1-4. NASCAR's Busch Series is scheduled to run its O'Reilly 300 at TMS on Saturday, April 3, creating the possibility of an IROC night race at TMS on that date. Or, IROC could be run on Friday, April 2, after Cup qualifying.

Over 100 drivers representing stock car racing, road-racing, the World of Outlaws and Formula One -- a list that includes Indy-car legends A.J. Foyt of Houston and Johnny Rutherford of Fort Worth -- have competed in the series since 1974. The late Mark Donohue won three of four events contested on road-courses that year. The series was not run from 1981-83 and gradually has morphed into an all-oval format. IROC drivers last ran on a road-course on Aug. 10, 1991, when NASCAR's Rusty Wallace won on the 2.45-mile layout at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International. Beginning with IROC XVI in 1992, every series race has been contested on an oval track.

NASCAR drivers have captured 15 consecutive championships dating to IROC XIII in 1989. That run includes titles won by NASCAR champions and native Texans Terry Labonte (1989) and Bobby Labonte (2001); four titles won by the late Dale Earnhardt of NASCAR (1990, 1995, 1999, 2000) and four by NASCAR's Mark Martin (1994, 1996, 1997, 1998).

TMS 2004 SCHEDULE

April 1 O'Reilly Auto Parts Qualifying (NASCAR Busch Series)

April 2 O'Reilly Auto Parts Qualifying (NASCAR Nextel Cup Series)

April 3 O'Reilly 300 (NASCAR Busch Series)

*April 3 International Race of Champions (tentative)

April 4 Samsung/RadioShack 500 (NASCAR Nextel Cup Series)

June 10 Qualifying Night (NASCAR Craftsman Truck and Indy Racing League IndyCar series)

June 11 O'Reilly 400k (NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series)

June 12 Bombardier 500k (Indy Racing League IndyCar Series)

Oct. 15 Pole Day (NASCAR Craftsman Truck and Indy Racing League IndyCar Series)

Oct. 16 Silverado 350k (NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series)

Oct. 16 Texas 100 (Indy Racing League Infiniti Pro Series)

Oct. 17 Chevy 500k (Indy Racing League IndyCar Series)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Sturbin, (817) 390-7408 [email protected]

Oh, that would be just great for me!!!! I have season tickets for the races at TMS! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BTW, hey PDR! Where the heck have you been hiding??? Glad to see ya back here! :)

Originally posted by majestyx@Jan 14 2004, 09:00 AM
Oh, that would be just great for me!!!! I have season tickets for the races at TMS! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BTW, hey PDR! Where the heck have you been hiding??? Glad to see ya back here! :)
Yepperz, I'll be kicked back in the stands watching them cars fly around TMS.
We have some buddy's heading down from Darlington, S.C. this year , to check out some of that Tejas racing.
I went up to Darlington this past year and saw the Southern 500.....................man talkin about hot that time of year!
I had a great time up there, I'm thinking about going back there again this November.
Oh and I've been around , just have alot of things going on................work , work and more work..............LOL!
Beer's to ya!
:cheers:

Posted on Thu, Jan. 15, 2004

IROC makes new sponsor, other changes official
ThatsRacin.com Report

The International Race of Champions [IROC] announced Thursday it had signed a multi-year agreement with Crown Royal to be the official title sponsor of the IROC Series for 2004 and beyond.
The 2004 Crown Royal IROC schedule will include the traditional Speedweeks opener at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla., on Friday, Feb. 13.

New venues are in the works for the remainder of the season including, Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas, on Friday, April 2., and Richmond International Raceway in Richmond, Va., on Thursday, September 9. IROC is also finalizing a fall date for the Crown Royal IROC Championship finale at the Atlanta Motor Speedway in Atlanta, Ga. Speed Channel will televise all four IROC races live this season.

With the new Crown Royal sponsorship comes a significant increase in the Series' prize money. The purse for the 2004 IROC season will be $1.9 million including $1 million to the Series champion. This is a major increase from the 2003 season in which the champion received $250,000 and represents the highest payout for a Series Champion in IROC history.

Another big change taking place in 2004 will be the appearance of the Crown Royal IROC cars. Instead of the history-long tradition of drivers having different color cars and numbers, representing their position in the point standings, at each of the four races, a color scheme and car number, representing the driver's native series team, will be assigned pre-season and will remain with the driver throughout the four events.

The pre-assigned color and utilizing the driver's team number will better enhance tracking and recognizing the individual competitors throughout the season. The traditional process of a blind draw will still take place among the lot of Crown Royal IROC race cars brought to each event. After the draw, color graphics and numbers will be applied to the field of race cars.

That means that I have an extra race to attend in April!!! WOOHOO!

Five Cup Drivers Invited To IROC
Roush Racing says two of its Nextel Cup drivers, Kurt Busch and Matt Kenseth, have agreed to participate in the 2004 Crown Royal International Race of Champions series, and a newspaper says three more Cup drivers have also been lined up. Busch, the defending IROC champion, and Kenseth, the reigning Cup champion, will be competing for the $1 million top prize in the $1.9 million purse. The Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch says the other Nextel Cup drivers will be Hendrick Motorsports' Jimmie Johnson, Penske Racing South's Ryan Newman and Richard Childress Racing's Kevin Harvick. Craftsman Truck Series champion Travis Kvapil is also scheduled to compete along with former United States Auto Club standout J.J. Yeley, who has signed to drive a limited schedule of Cup and Busch Series events for Joe Gibbs Racing this year. Helio Castroneves, Scott Sharp and Scott Dixon are expected to represent the Indy Racing League, while World of Outlaws stars Steve Kinser and Danny Lasoski are also expected.
Oh and majestyx, if your a season ticket holder at TMS .
You get your tickets for the IRCO race for free, ya can't beat that!

I love the idea of a short track added! I think it should be 8 races!
Daytona
Richmond
Indy
Lowe's
1 mile dirt track
Sears Point
Martinsville
Long Beach

Originally posted by PureDeathRacing@Jan 16 2004, 09:32 PM
Oh and majestyx, if your a season ticket holder at TMS .
You get your tickets for the IRCO race for free, ya can't beat that!
PDR, you are exactly correct! I am a season ticket holder! :bounce:

Back
Top Bottom