Jeff Burton's New Sponsor For Daytona

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jeff Burton to carry TNT logo in Daytona 500
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Turner Network Television will sponsor Jeff Burton and the No. 99 Roush Racing team during the Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 15, and for the Twin 125s on Thursday, Feb. 12, at the Daytona International Speedway, it was announced Tuesday by TNT and Roush Racing.

During the Daytona 500 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series race, the hood of the No. 99 car will carry images of 2004 NBA All-Stars, the NBA All-Star logo and TNT branding. For the Twin 125s, the Daytona 500 Qualifying race, the entire car will be wrapped in the NBA All-Star on TNT message.

In addition, Burton will wear a fire-suit for both events with NBA All-Star on TNT logos. Burton won 17 NASCAR Winston Cup Series races, including the Pepsi 400 at Daytona International Speedway on July 1, 2000. Burton will make several appearances to help promote this unique paint scheme and the 2004 NBA All-Star Game, maximizing TNT's exposure in the NASCAR market and capitalizing on its racing coverage as well as its exclusive NBA coverage.

"We are thrilled to be able to marry two of the biggest sporting events of the year, the NBA All-Star Game and the Daytona 500, and would not have been able to accomplish that without the help of our NASCAR television partner, NBC, and the services of one of the top drivers and teams in the sport in Jeff Burton and his No. 99 Roush team," said David Levy, president, Turner Sports. "I believe that for the first time in television history a network will be able to cross-promote these two great events to millions of sports fans, reaching one of the largest male audiences of the year."

"I'm an avid basketball fan and this NBA All Star Game/TNT one-race deal provides the perfect platform to show the world that the Roush No. 99 team has a lot to offer any company looking for a full-season sponsorship with a championship racing organization. I'm excited to carry TNT and the NBA All Star Game on the No. 99 Ford Sunday, February 15. It will be a great day to be a sports fan."

TNT will televise the Twin 125s on Thursday, Feb. 12, at 1 p.m. ET and will air the 2004 NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 15, at 8 p.m. ET. NBC will broadcast the Daytona 500 on Sunday at 12 p.m., preceding TNT's NBA All-Star coverage. NBC and TNT are partners in broadcasting Speedweeks in Daytona as well as the second half of the NASCAR season beginning in July. This is the 19th year Turner Sports has featured NBA All-Star coverage and the second consecutive year the NBA All-Star Game will be televised in prime time on TNT.

Burton saw victory lane for the first time in a NASCAR Cup Series car in 1997 during the inaugural race at Texas Motor Speedway. Since then, Burton has accrued 18 NASCAR Cup Series wins along with 91 top-five and 103 top-10 finishes and two career poles. Burton also races a NASCAR Busch Series car part time and to date has chalked up 20 Busch Series wins, 10 poles, 61 top-five and 103 top-10 finishes.

Burton is not only a strong competitor on the track, but he is also one of NASCAR's leaders off the track. With his outgoing and charismatic personality, Burton stands out as one of the most opinionated drivers in the garage on everything from safety to sports to world issues. He is also a strong supporter of Duke Children's Hospital.

I just can't believe jack roush can't get a full time sponsor for jeff

Originally posted by steveluvs3@Jan 14 2004, 11:20 AM
I just can't believe jack roush can't get a full time sponsor for jeff
I find ir hard to believe too, Steve! There are many less popular drivers with full time sponsors.

Especially when the 99 used to be the premier team at Roush Racing.

Oh, he's trying all right. Problem seems to be that he's priced himself out of the ballpark. A steady stream of promising sponsors has been rumored to have been very interested in the 99, and each of them in turn has bolted. Sticker shock is the common denominator; damn sure isn't the driver. :flushed:

Originally posted by Lumpy18@Jan 14 2004, 10:51 AM
Oh, he's trying all right. Problem seems to be that he's priced himself out of the ballpark. A steady stream of promising sponsors has been rumored to have been very interested in the 99, and each of them in turn has bolted. Sticker shock is the common denominator; damn sure isn't the driver. :flushed:
It's the nature of the beast...they are only asking what the other Roush teams, RYR, DEI, RCR & Hendrick teams get for their teams.

Boy, I would think that the TNT sponsorship on the hood of a car would be a conflict of interest. Less air time for the companies that are paying the bills...Budweiser, UPS, Home Depot, Lowe's.

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Jan 14 2004, 12:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Jan 14 2004, 12:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Lumpy18@Jan 14 2004, 10:51 AM
Oh, he's trying all right.&nbsp; Problem seems to be that he's priced himself out of the ballpark.&nbsp; A steady stream of promising sponsors has been rumored to have been very interested in the 99,&nbsp; and each of them in turn has bolted.&nbsp; Sticker shock is the common denominator; damn sure isn't the driver.&nbsp; :flushed:
It's the nature of the beast...they are only asking what the other Roush teams, RYR, DEI, RCR & Hendrick teams get for their teams.

Boy, I would think that the TNT sponsorship on the hood of a car would be a conflict of interest. Less air time for the companies that are paying the bills...Budweiser, UPS, Home Depot, Lowe's. [/b][/quote]
Conflict of interest????? The 500 is on NBC and TNT is a co-broadcaster on the NBC side of the TV package.

It isn't Roush that is pricing sponsors out of the sport. It is the sport itself. Cost-benefit analysis and the benefit isn't there anymore.

I think, that they should have moved over National Guard sponser to 99 not 16, Biffle in my opion doesnt deserve a sponser before Burton, thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

The 99 car always been a R & D Car for Jack Roush... Its like last BGN Season w/ Staton Barrett... he doesnt want to get a sponsership if he knows that they car cant run

Originally posted by KaseyKahne_9_38@Jan 14 2004, 02:50 PM
The 99 car always been a R & D Car for Jack Roush... Its like last BGN Season w/ Staton Barrett... he doesnt want to get a sponsership if he knows that they car cant run
Pretty amazing he was able to finish 3rd in points with a R&D car. :wacko:

Originally posted by KaseyKahne_9_38@Jan 14 2004, 03:50 PM
Burton was the second best roush driver in 2003, and has been one of the most consitiant for the Roush team, I find it hard to believe he is just an "r&d" project for roush.

Two words, which Roush is critically at fault for: OVER-EXPANSION.

He did the 5 team deal in the mid 90's I believe, and it didnt work out. I think three of the teams performed miserably. Again he didnt learn from his mistakes, does the 5 team thing again, but this team the sponsorship bucks backfired on him.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Jan 14 2004, 03:59 PM

He did the 5 team deal in the mid 90's I believe, and it didnt work out. I think three of the teams performed miserably. Again he didnt learn from his mistakes, does the 5 team thing again, but this team the sponsorship bucks backfired on him.
Amen Robby fan!

Originally posted by nascarfan48+Jan 14 2004, 03:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nascarfan48 @ Jan 14 2004, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan@Jan 14 2004, 03:59 PM

He did the 5 team deal in the mid 90's I believe, and it didnt work out.&nbsp; I think three of the teams performed miserably.&nbsp; Again he didnt learn from his mistakes, does the 5 team thing again, but this team the sponsorship bucks backfired on him.
Amen Robby fan! [/b][/quote]
Ummm, Hendrick has 5 teams also. The #0 team is his...even though the owner is listed as his partner in crime.

Originally posted by Dinoforthe3+Jan 14 2004, 12:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dinoforthe3 @ Jan 14 2004, 12:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Jan 14 2004, 12:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Lumpy18
@Jan 14 2004, 10:51 AM
Oh, he's trying all right.  Problem seems to be that he's priced himself out of the ballpark.  A steady stream of promising sponsors has been rumored to have been very interested in the 99,  and each of them in turn has bolted.  Sticker shock is the common denominator; damn sure isn't the driver.  :flushed:

Boy, I would think that the TNT sponsorship on the hood of a car would be a conflict of interest. Less air time for the companies that are paying the bills...Budweiser, UPS, Home Depot, Lowe's.
Conflict of interest????? The 500 is on NBC and TNT is a co-broadcaster on the NBC side of the TV package.

It isn't Roush that is pricing sponsors out of the sport. It is the sport itself. Cost-benefit analysis and the benefit isn't there anymore. [/b][/quote]
Conflict of interest? I think quite possibly. I'm speculating on this, but these sponsors pay millions to have their commercials aired during the Daytona 500 and I'm guessing that includes a certain amount of "in race
coverage" of the car they sponsor. Only logical reason to me that you see more footage of certain drivers, no matter how well they are doing during the race, and a lot less of the others, and in some cases, including the driver winning the race. To me, promoting the game is one thing, which any network will do because the air time they use for it only costs the network money. Their banking on good ratings for the game and the sponsors of that game to cover their costs and to hopefully turn a profit. But the TNT sponsored car will get a lot more of the "in race coverage" than it will deserve, which will leave less amount of coverage for the sponsors paying the bills. I know it's a stretch, but it's my humble opinion.

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Jan 14 2004, 11:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Jan 14 2004, 11:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -nascarfan48@Jan 14 2004, 03:02 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan
@Jan 14 2004, 03:59 PM

He did the 5 team deal in the mid 90's I believe, and it didnt work out.  I think three of the teams performed miserably.  Again he didnt learn from his mistakes, does the 5 team thing again, but this team the sponsorship bucks backfired on him.

Amen Robby fan!
Ummm, Hendrick has 5 teams also. The #0 team is his...even though the owner is listed as his partner in crime. [/b][/quote]
And where was the #25 this year? Case in point. Very rarely do multiple team cars all perform at a stellar level. However, I do give Roush credit, the overall gap between his best car and his worst car is a very narrow span, most narrow among all multi-team cars I believe.

Still, five teams has a helluvalot of resources to use, so they may be spreading thin. The only two teams which can keep all their cars performing about equal and at a top level are Penske and Gibbs, both two car teams. Coincidence?

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Jan 14 2004, 10:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Jan 14 2004, 10:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Jan 14 2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by -nascarfan48@Jan 14 2004, 03:02 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan
@Jan 14 2004, 03:59 PM

He did the 5 team deal in the mid 90's I believe, and it didnt work out.  I think three of the teams performed miserably.  Again he didnt learn from his mistakes, does the 5 team thing again, but this team the sponsorship bucks backfired on him.

Amen Robby fan!

Ummm, Hendrick has 5 teams also. The #0 team is his...even though the owner is listed as his partner in crime.
And where was the #25 this year? Case in point. Very rarely do multiple team cars all perform at a stellar level. However, I do give Roush credit, the overall gap between his best car and his worst car is a very narrow span, most narrow among all multi-team cars I believe.

Still, five teams has a helluvalot of resources to use, so they may be spreading thin. The only two teams which can keep all their cars performing about equal and at a top level are Penske and Gibbs, both two car teams. Coincidence? [/b][/quote]
The #2 team really fell off at the end of the season & the #20 team really struggled early in the season. I'm not convinced that the the number of teams in one stable has anything to do with performance. All though I'll agree that IMO, Roush teams seemed to do better with only four teams or less. But you can't argue with success this year...winning the title & Jack will not trade it for anything. This past season though was more of a tribute of how good the #17 team really is, the rest of the Ford teams really stuggled....hence all the new changes for Ford this season.

A lot of changes were made during the past two seasons with the #25 team, it's not out of the question to expect that this team would really struggle. If they would have finished higher in the points...it would have been noted as an awesome accomplishment.

Another thing...the #97 team started the season off real strong, ran real well through 2/3 of the season. But the last 1/3 they had driver attitude problems along with alot of accidents & engine failures. This is the only reason they were not in the top 10. If these boys can straighten out these issues in 2004...look out for the #97 team.

I think that Burton is well worth what Roush is asking. but now with testing starting maybe he is getting destracted or more pressurre is being put on.. and isn't the 77 car a Penske car? so that would make it 3 car team?

Originally posted by LeDoux22@Jan 14 2004, 11:14 PM
I think that Burton is well worth what Roush is asking. but now with testing starting maybe he is getting destracted or more pressurre is being put on.. and isn't the 77 car a Penske car? so that would make it 3 car team?
Very true LD22 about Penske....but RG31's point was that last year the Penske team was only a two car team. Last year Penske only supplied engines for the #77 team for the whole season. The #77 was a Ford team last year. There was a few races were Penske supplied them with a chasis & they ran Dodge sheet metal for those races. This coming up season...Penske South controls the #77 team & probably is the biggest reason Brendan Gaughan has the ride since he & dad have been a big part of Mopar's sucess in the truck series. But as far as driver's daddys who have $$$ buying rides for sonny, Brendan seems to be the only one that has talent to back it up. Penske would not have offered if he didn't think so. BG is no Buckshot or Hank Jr.

From what Jeff Burton said at the Daytona FanFest today (1/14/03), he was told from Roush Racing that he is going to drive the full season in the 99 car.

Do you guys think Roush will be able to keep Burton and/or Biffle in the future? Burton is putting on a happy face but how do you think he really feels after his years of loyalty and now being pushed to the bottom of the pecking order at Roush. It's a real slap in the face to Burton IMO.

Also, I don't see how Roush is going to keep 3 up and coming drivers happy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Biffle go elsewhere when his contract runs out.

What do ya'll think?

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Roush send Biffle somewhere else before the end of the 2004 season. I know they go way back, but so did a lot of folks. Ask Johnny Benson about how Roush's loyalty runs.

Back
Top Bottom