JGR and the 100% rule

Just so ya'll know I'm not a member of the tin foil hat brigade, this question was serious enough to get discussed on Sirius NASCAR (below is from jayski, I don't see a link to an actual article):

NASCAR: JGR strategy didn't violate 100% rule: NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer Steve O'Donnell, appearing on "The Morning Drive" on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Monday, said he did not expect the sanctioning body to take action against Joe Gibbs Racing for its strategy of dropping three cars to the back of the pack during Sunday's Chase elimination race at Talladega Superspeedway. O'Donnell said employing that strategy did not constitute a violation of NASCAR's 100% rule. "I would say that they do not fall into that," O'Donnell said when asked about the 100% rule. "The spirit of that rule is really to prevent somebody from intentionally allowing another teammate to do something that would not be really within the spirit of the rules of the race. In this case, we look at the strategy decision that the team made, and they executed it. ... In this case, that wouldn't be something that we look at that violated that rule."(NASCAR). The 100% rule: "NASCAR requires its competitors to race at 100 percent of their ability with the goal of achieving their best possible finishing position in an event" (ESPN)

As brought up by @CalTenn , it's hard to see how not competing for the win wasn't "allow a teammate to do something that would not be...within the spirit of the rules of the race."

Nascar should be looking at it as a strategy decision but have a problem with by doing it it also had the benefit of making a lot easier for Hamlin to get the points he needed to make it in.

Nascar should be looking at it as a strategy decision but have a problem with by doing it it also had the benefit of making a lot easier for Hamlin to get the points he needed to make it in.
I don't see how running in the back made it easier for Denny. He still was battling Dillon on an equal basis. What would have made it easier on Denny is if his teammates had tried to run BETWEEN the #11 and the #3. That would have increased the points difference between them.

Running in the back from the start to the finish is not trying to achieve the best possible finish! I don't care if it's Steve O'Donnell trying tell fans that it's a strategy, those three cars should have stayed at the shop and let them race 37 cars!

I don't see how running in the back made it easier for Denny. He still was battling Dillon on an equal basis. What would have made it easier on Denny is if his teammates had tried to run BETWEEN the #11 and the #3. That would have increased the points difference between them.
True but I was looking at it from the point of he wasn't having to contend with other top cars.

And neither was the #3. I don't see how it was an advantage for one and not the other.

You said it yourself. If they were up there contending, there is a decent chance they could have fallen between 11 and 3. By not racing, they precluded that possibility. There's too much randomness on every lap at Talladega for the JGR cars to ensure they were positioned correctly without them running at the rear.

The dynamics of plate racing vis a vis points racing are one level of messed up, and the Chase is a whole other perversion that takes the absurdity right up to 11. It isn't possible to stage a plate race as part of this format and not have things get wonky.

For those that genuinely enjoy the spectacle, they really ought to make them high paying exhibition (non-points) events. I don't think they would be diminished, perhaps even the opposite. Is anyone really watching a plate race for how it affects the points standings? The sport's most important race, the Daytona 500, is already basically irrelevant to the championship. Make them exhibitions with extra money on the line and there would be no incentive to do anything other than try to win or finish as well as possible. You know, the way that thing called racing works.

JGR defenders: how is literally pulling over to let the 2 go by today consistent with the 100% rule? This might be even more blatant than last week, as there is the whole "hang out" strategy at Dega...

Brad was faster and they were just trying to avoid getting positioned into the outside lane and losing another spot. Even with a teammate trailing, a pass by Brad K with him on the inside can effectively be used the trailing car as well.
And this is not a very unusual thing, it is a 500 lapper with the end game in mind.

Brad was faster and they were just trying to avoid getting positioned into the outside lane and losing another spot. Even with a teammate trailing, a pass by Brad K with him on the inside can effectively be used the trailing car as well.
And this is not a very unusual thing, it is a 500 lapper with the end game in mind.

What is unusual, and I believe somewhat unprecedented, is JGR using these strategies at the end of the race. It's one thing to willingly give up a spot on lap 200. It's quite another to pull over with 30 to go.

What is unusual, and I believe somewhat unprecedented, is JGR using these strategies at the end of the race. It's one thing to willingly give up a spot on lap 200. It's quite another to pull over with 30 to go.
The 48 had what a 2.5 second lead over second before Kez moved up. After that Kez was closing the gap on the 48. So when the undisputed best car of the run passes some Toyotas we call that sandbagging?? What they did last week sucked in a lot of ways but in that last run this week they were no match for the 2.

The 48 had what a 2.5 second lead over second before Kez moved up. After that Kez was closing the gap on the 48. So when the undisputed best car of the run passes some Toyotas we call that sandbagging?? What they did last week sucked in a lot of ways but in that last run this week they were no match for the 2.

Watch the replay. Kyle Busch pulled over and let him pass.

Kes was faster and would have moved them. They just opted to manage the inevitable.
I got a kick out of the complications JGR had to face today after Talladega.

But there wasn't much I could fault them for, today. I don't think team orders were in play, at least I am not aware of any. They just knew they couldnt wreck each other, which ls probably a big point or standard with all teams, especially given the points situation.

Actually I am glad nothing was ordered and it was played out naturally. It would have been worse and collusion if an order was given to allow what they believe was the faster car to get in front.

I am chevy fan not a JGR guy and I enjoyed their dilemma. I also get the fun that a genuine aha would have created today. But as for the 100 % thing goes today it was a non issue imo.

JGR defenders: how is literally pulling over to let the 2 go by today consistent with the 100% rule? This might be even more blatant than last week, as there is the whole "hang out" strategy at Dega...

If they weren't giving 100% for the best result, how the hell would they have three cars positioned to go to Homestead with a shot?

Your idealized expectations for this sport and its participants are dashed every week.

That must get old.

I enjoyed their dilemma.

I did too. Would have never dreamt of having four fast Toyotas contending and working together when all of this started 10 years ago.

The Gibbs cars weren't going to catch the #48. Kez had the best shot to keep Johnson from winning. It would have been in JGR's favor to keep Johnson from locking up a Homestead spot, regardless of who ran him down.

Three Toyotas finish in the Top 5 and they're accused of sandbagging?

Boy, things have changed from two years ago when they couldn't even finish in the Top 5 most of the time.

If ya wants get mad at somebody, get mad at Hamlin. Matt and Kyle clearly were both faster than the 11 on the last run, but, the 11 would not let them go, short of moving the 11 ( a team mate) and possibly wrecking him. See the podium for what I think of Hamlin after yesterday.

If you want to win a battle race one way. If your looking to win the war race the JGR way.
BTW, 3 JGR cars will take Hamlin out of the final 4.

It's points racing, baby! Don't ya know points racing when ya see it? Argued by some (indeed, most here at R-F) to be the *only* legitimate way to determine the champion. The #1 rule of points racing: avoid any confrontation that has limited upside but significant downside. It's better to settle for the safe result.

What was KyBu inferring yesterday? I keep hearing he was aggravated because they had to "let" the 48 win? They forget about the 2 that passed all of them?

What was KyBu inferring yesterday? I keep hearing he was aggravated because they had to "let" the 48 win? They forget about the 2 that passed all of them?

I think he was referring to Hamlin holding him and Matt up, as they were quicker than Hamlin, but, did not want to chance bump and running him because of the possibility of wrecking the 11. JMHO.

Was he told to do that or too afraid to try to pass for fear of wrecking him? He beats on his bumper enough he would move without wrecking.

Back
Top Bottom