Jimmie Johnson says NASCAR should apply speed strips to improve racing at the brobdingnagians

• Track 'treatments' to continue: Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer, said Monday on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio that what Bristol did is "certainly not the last you've seen of that.'' Bristol treated its lower groove with a substance similar to what is used on the starting area in drag racing to help tires gain grip. NASCAR said resin was then put on the track after Wednesday's Camping World Truck Series race and Friday's Xfinity Series race. Previously, running the lower groove at Bristol proved slower than the top groove. With the additional grip, more cars could run at the bottom and be competitive. The result was two-wide racing. The 20 lead changes in the Sprint Cup race ranked second among most lead changes at Bristol in the last eight races there. NASCAR stated that total green-flag passes in the Cup race totaled 2,454, ranking fourth at the track since the statistic was first kept in 2005. "We'll go out and do the due diligence and test it and work with Goodyear certainly,'' O'Donnell said. "Certainly, we'll look at this year, but more importantly for 2017.''(NBC Sports)(8-23-2016)

Definitely would not want to see it at Martinsville - that situation reminds me of Bristol before the repave. Trying to fix things that are not broken.

What tracks would be good fits? New Hampshire? Dover? Richmond?

Somebody on NASCAR America was saying they used to put VHT over all of Richmond and the groove would shift around constantly. I think I'm jaded because the last Dover and Richmond races (the only ones I've seen mind you) have been great but I wouldn't want them changed a bit.

Definitely would not want to see it at Martinsville - that situation reminds me of Bristol before the repave. Trying to fix things that are not broken.

What tracks would be good fits? New Hampshire? Dover? Richmond?
I'm not a fan of VHT and wish Bristol never would have used it, but New Hampshire is the one track where I wouldn't be completely opposed to seeing it used in the future. It's a track that doesn't know whether or not it's a short track or an intermediate track, and that has resulted in nothing but awful racing since NASCAR has raced there. At least before the reconfiguration it had a short track identity where the bump-and-run was a necessity.

I'm not a fan of VHT and wish Bristol never would have used it, but New Hampshire is the one track where I wouldn't be completely opposed to seeing it used in the future. It's a track that doesn't know whether or not it's a short track or an intermediate track, and that has resulted in nothing but awful racing since NASCAR has raced there. At least before the reconfiguration it had a short track identity where the bump-and-run was a necessity.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on New Hampshire.

Somebody on NASCAR America was saying they used to put VHT over all of Richmond and the groove would shift around constantly. I think I'm jaded because the last Dover and Richmond races (the only ones I've seen mind you) have been great but I wouldn't want them changed a bit.

Wait a minute, was that the "sealer" that Richmond used back around 2002? I remember Ricky Rudd complaining that it "balled up" off the track and basically made the track covered in marbles. Anybody else remember that?

Wait a minute, was that the "sealer" that Richmond used back around 2002? I remember Ricky Rudd complaining that it "balled up" off the track and basically made the track covered in marbles. Anybody else remember that?
Now that you mention it, yes, I do remember that.

Back
Top Bottom