Johanna Long

Get used to it. Johnson is going to be compared to both of them as long as he is racing. either going for a tie or passing them.

Yeah, we don't hear about Richard Petty's 200 wins every 20 laps of every ******* race and during every pre-race show, every practice show, every qualifying show and there aren't several segments devoted to Richard Petty during every Daytona 500 pre-race show. It's annoying. It's been annoying for the last several years. And now there's another new gimmick with Austin Dillon running the #3 car, we get to hear every race about Dale's legacy.

I'm not saying NASCAR should let go of history. Earnhardt's legacy is, however, just that, history. NASCAR needs to be about the current drivers. The more and more that it's all about the past and not about the present or future, the less relevant the sport becomes.
New drivers come and go every year, the fans know who they like. how many changes has nascar made since DALE to bring in new fans and the stands are still not full like they were when he was racing?

how do you know? you can bet they will be talking about that. they already are comparing the time it took for Johnson to get 6 titles, much sooner than Earnhardt of Petty. Like I said complain all ya want free country, but it isn't going away unless you turn down the sound.

Perhaps, but Johnson will never get 200 wins.

New drivers come and go every year, the fans know who they like. how many changes has nascar made since DALE to bring in new fans and the stands are still not full like they were when he was racing?

I don't care how many "changes" the sport has made. It has still revolved around Dale Earnhardt for the last 13 years. Car bodies, aero packages, fuel injection - that **** doesn't matter. The sport is still all about Dale Earnhardt. When a driver wins their first race, they're immediately cast under Earnhardt's shadow and his accomplishments are brought up. Jimmie Johnson isn't being compared to Jeff Gordon. Kyle Busch isn't being compared to Kevin Harvick. Tony Stewart isn't being compared to Matt Kenseth. They're all being compared to Dale Earnhardt. And even when Jimmie Johnson wins his eighth championship, it's still going to be all about Dale Earnhardt.

You don't turn on an NFL game and see Russell Wilson getting compared to Joe Montana. You see young quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck being compared to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. You don't hear the "1972 Dolphins" brought up 12 times in a game. NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL - these are sports that are all about the current athletes playing for current teams. But NASCAR is all about Dale Earnhardt.

We have a six-time champion in the sport right now. We have fresh faces like Danica Patrick and Kyle Larson. But every time I turn on a NASCAR broadcast, it's still
blah.gif
Earnhardt
blah.gif
The Intimidator
blah.gif
Dale Sr
blah.gif
Big E
blah.gif

The Earnhardt fans might like that but who's going to be around when they age out? Talking about Dale Earnhardt endlessly isn't going to appeal to a 14-year-old who's watching their first NASCAR race on FOX in February. They don't know who the **** he is.

I don't care how many "changes" the sport has made. It has still revolved around Dale Earnhardt for the last 13 years. Car bodies, aero packages, fuel injection - that **** doesn't matter. The sport is still all about Dale Earnhardt. When a driver wins their first race, they're immediately cast under Earnhardt's shadow and his accomplishments are brought up. Jimmie Johnson isn't being compared to Jeff Gordon. Kyle Busch isn't being compared to Kevin Harvick. Tony Stewart isn't being compared to Matt Kenseth. They're all being compared to Dale Earnhardt. And even when Jimmie Johnson wins his eighth championship, it's still going to be all about Dale Earnhardt.

You don't turn on an NFL game and see Russell Wilson getting compared to Joe Montana. You see young quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck being compared to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. You don't hear the "1972 Dolphins" brought up 12 times in a game. NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL - these are sports that are all about the current athletes playing for current teams. But NASCAR is all about Dale Earnhardt.

apple and oranges..more stick n ball B.S. The turnover in those sports can't be compared to Nascar or autosports in general. People like you who are confused, continue to try to campare stick n ball to motorsports. Scott Pruitt, the Andrettis all four of them, Foyt, the Unsers..you don't see much of that in stick n ball, but when you do, you hear about it ad nauseum. You should look at Dale Jr. most popular driver and he isn't close to being great.

Fact of the matter is Danica Patrick and Johanna Long will and are attracting new fans to the sport.

Neck nation says the same stuff about action movies where a woman is the lead character. "Oh that won't ever work" Hunger Games anyone?

apple and oranges..more stick n ball B.S. The turnover in those sports can't be compared to Nascar or autosports in general. People like you who are confused, continue to try to campare stick n ball to motorsports. Scott Pruitt, the Andrettis all four of them, Foyt, the Unsers..you don't see much of that in stick n ball, but when you do, you hear about it ad nauseum. You should look at Dale Jr. most popular driver and he isn't close to being great.

I'll repeat my question. What's going to happen when Junyer retires and/or his fans age out?

Keep in mind, these are the "fans" that leave the track by the tens of thousands when Junyer wrecks out. So, no, they're not going to stick around forever.

Danica is attracting new fans. It's just too bad there are so many stupid ass necks trying to run those fans off.

that's were you're wrong as soon as they play in the superbowl they are compared to Joe,Terry. The dolphins are brought up every week as long as their is a unbeaten team. Plus every team as some type of star playing for them.

that's were you're wrong as soon as they play in the superbowl they are compared to Joe,Terry. The dolphins are brought up every week as long as their is a unbeaten team. Plus every team as some type of star playing for them.

Try watching an NFL Pregame show. Hell, even the Super Bowl pregame show. You don't hear Joe Montana being brought up every three minutes during the pregame shows. Watch the Daytona 500 on FOX and it might as well be called the Dale Earnhardt Memorial 500 presented by Darrell and Michael Waltrip.

Try watching an NFL Pregame show. Hell, even the Super Bowl pregame show. You don't hear Joe Montana being brought up every three minutes during the pregame shows. Watch the Daytona 500 on FOX and it might as well be called the Dale Earnhardt Memorial 500 presented by Darrell and Michael Waltrip.
I have been watching the nfl since 1968.I know what I hear.

I'll repeat my question. What's going to happen when Junyer retires and/or his fans age out?

Keep in mind, these are the "fans" that leave the track by the tens of thousands when Junyer wrecks out. So, no, they're not going to stick around forever.

Danica is attracting new fans. It's just too bad there are so many stupid ass necks trying to run those fans off.

again you missed the point. Jr is going to be around a long long time compared to any stick n baller. His fan base came from a long time ago, started when his dad started racing and was passed on to him for the most part. Why do you think the Burtons, Elliott, Dillons/childress have so many fans? If there was a young Labonte around they would have a instant fan base. Your too young to know about racing history..you thinjk you know, but there are plenty coming up for you younger people to root for..and us older fans also

you should try to practice what you perch, I have seen the catch every superbowl show since it happen.

I wouldn't say the sport is still all about Earnhardt Sr. Hell, five years ago it seemed all they ever talked about were the "young guns" every chance they got. It pissed me off not just because of that stupid phrasing, but also because they didn't even recognize when legends like Bill Elliott, Terry Labonte, etc. were even in the race. All they ever talked about were the young drivers. Oh, a former champion is making his first start of the year? I wouldn't have even known if it weren't for the rundown ticker because Lord knows the announcers won't mention their name a single time.

It's true that NASCAR still caters to the Earnhardt fanbase, but I really think they do a fine job of promoting the current and future generation drivers as well. Other than Earnhardt and occasionally Petty, you never hear about the old timers. How often do you hear Pearson, Allison, Richmond etc brought up? Rarely, if ever. The average teenage NASCAR fan probably has no idea who Alan Kulwicki or Bobby Isaac is.

I wouldn't say the sport is still all about Earnhardt Sr. Hell, five years ago it seemed all they ever talked about were the "young guns" every chance they got. It pissed me off not just because of that stupid phrasing, but also because they didn't even recognize when legends like Bill Elliott, Terry Labonte, etc. were even in the race. All they ever talked about were the young drivers. Oh, a former champion is making his first start of the year? I wouldn't have even known if it weren't for the rundown ticker because Lord knows the announcers won't mention their name a single time.

It's true that NASCAR still caters to the Earnhardt fanbase, but I really think they do a fine job of promoting the current and future generation drivers as well. Other than Earnhardt and occasionally Petty, you never hear about the old timers. How often do you hear Pearson, Allison, Richmond etc brought up? Rarely, if ever. The average teenage NASCAR fan probably has no idea who Alan Kulwicki or Bobby Isaac is.

You don't ever hear about Pearson, Allison, Yarborough, Richmond or others because NASCAR revolves around Dale Earnhardt. Which is my point.

You don't ever hear about Pearson, Allison, Yarborough, Richmond or others because NASCAR revolves around Dale Earnhardt. Which is my point.
Yes it revolves around DALE because his fans are the ones spending the money. That is my point. any one that runs a business caters to the ones that are spending the most money.

Yes it revolves around DALE because his fans are the ones spending the money. That is my point. any one that runs a business caters to the ones that are spending the most money.

We get it dude, you're an Earnhardt fan and you think the sport should revolve around Dale Earnhardt. NASCAR faces extinction if they cater to you.

There are A LOT of us who watch the sport because we like racing. When Junyer retires and his fans exit the sport, it's going to be people like me who are still around and still watching. And it's going to be people who turn on a race, see the race and enjoy the race that become interested in the sport. People tuning in to a race for the first time don't become interested in a sport when the broadcasters spend the entire race talking about Earnhardt and how every racer should be like Earnhardt. The next generation of fans will have never seen the man race. It's time to move on.

We get it dude, you're an Earnhardt fan and you think the sport should revolve around Dale Earnhardt. NASCAR faces extinction if they cater to you.

There are A LOT of us who watch the sport because we like racing. When Junyer retires and his fans exit the sport, it's going to be people like me who are still around and still watching. And it's going to be people who turn on a race, see the race and enjoy the race that become interested in the sport. People tuning in to a race for the first time don't become interested in a sport when the broadcasters spend the entire race talking about Earnhardt and how every racer should be like Earnhardt. The next generation of fans will have never seen the man race. It's time to move on.
Yes I'm a DALE fan, I'm also a race fan and have moved on. anyone with a bowtie is fine with me. The next generation of race fans already know who DALE is.What do think is the percentage of people that just by chance turn on the TV and a race is on they become fans? Racing is not something you learn in gym class,it's a father son, family thing.

I refuse to watch the 500 on Fox this year, and nothing will change my mind.

Yes I'm a DALE fan, I'm also a race fan and have moved on. anyone with a bowtie is fine with me. The next generation of race fans already know who DALE is.What do think is the percentage of people that just by chance turn on the TV and a race is on they become fans? Racing is not something you learn in gym class,it's a father son, family thing.

Now you're intentionally being obtuse. People turning on the TV and watching a race is exactly how NASCAR became a national, mainstream sport.

Now you're intentionally being obtuse. People turning on the TV and watching a race is exactly how NASCAR became a national, mainstream sport.
wrong again It was people waiting for it to be on tv. and not having to listen on radio. The fans were already there and espn needed something to show on there network. After the new was gone the lets see what this about have left.

wrong again It was people waiting for it to be on tv. and not having to listen on radio. The fans were already there and espn needed something to show on there network. After the new was gone the lets see what this about have left.

So your theory is that everyone who's a racing fan has always been a racing fan or only became a racing fan because of their parents? C'mon man. This almost isn't even worth debating anymore. How do you explain the explosion in the late 90s and early 2000s? Were those fans all fans who were already there and waiting for it to be on NBC? What about the racetracks that expanded? And NASCAR expanding in to new markets?

Stop. Just, stop. You're no longer debating in reality.

As far as this Earnhardt debate goes, I don't have a dog in that hunt. That being said, Andy, as a Junior fan I can't help but feel mildly insulted by some of your comments. I was watching NASCAR long before I started cheering for Junior and I'll still be watching after he retires. I was never a fan of his father - I actually like him because he's nothing like his father on the track. I don't stop watching a race if he wrecks out of it or has a mechanical failure, and if I was at said race in person I certainly wouldn't leave early because of that. I'm also not one of those that is trying to run any of the drivers that aren't "good ol' boys" or their fans off.

Perhaps I'm just an exception to the rule, but there's no way I'm the only one. Don't be so quick to paint all of us Junior fans with the same brush.

I'm not mad or anything...I'm just sayin'. :)

So your theory is that everyone who's a racing fan has always been a racing fan or only became a racing fan because of their parents? C'mon man. This almost isn't even worth debating anymore. How do you explain the explosion in the late 90s and early 2000s? Were those fans all fans who were already there and waiting for it to be on NBC? What about the racetracks that expanded? And NASCAR expanding in to new markets?

Stop. Just, stop. You're no longer debating in reality.
I just know what I lived. I started going to races in the mid 80's and every new race fan was there because someone that was already a race fan talked them into it.never did I ever meet one that said I just got up one day and decided to buy a ticket to a nascar race.

I just know what I lived. I started going to races in the mid 80's and every new race fan was there because someone that was already a race fan talked them into it.never did I ever meet one that said I just got up one day and decided to buy a ticket to a nascar race.

So, it's your opinion that NASCAR is literally incapable of attracting new fans and, because of that, they shouldn't even bother and should cater solely to an aging fanbase that won't be around in 20 years? Because you've never met a fan that became interested by watching on television.

If your experiences with fans represents the fanbase as a whole, the sport would've never exploded in the 90s and early 2000s. See the problem here?

I'm relatively new to NASCAR (started watching when Danica came over) but I watch all the races and listen to the NASCAR channel on Sirius. One thing I've really noticed is the NASCAR media and some of the fans really seem to be hung up on the history of the sport compared to other sports. I watch a lot of stick and ball sports and they bring up the history of their franchises and competitors at times but it isn't the constant referencing that I see in NASCAR. Personally, I get turned off when every single week we have reminiscing going on rather than talking about the current competitors. I've turned off pre-race and the radio many times when they go off on their reminiscing binges because I'm not really watching/listening to get a history lesson...I'm watching for the current competition.

Just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in here as a relatively newer fan to the sport...I'd watched at times in the past but just started following closely in the last few years. I also think it is a bit weird how many folks with current interests in teams or relationships with drivers are considered 'analysts' with very little disclaimers given.

Now the thread has become about Danica Patrick. Johanna Long just can't catch a break around here and yet some still wonder why she can't get a decent deal :wacko:

I look at it this way. If Johanna Long were such a talent she'd have a 'decent deal'. If an owner saw the potential in her she'd be in a good ride. They don't and she isn't. They obviously don't feel that she has the marketing capabilities either or that may have been enough to get her into a well know ride, (see Danica). She'd have to produce, on the track or in the deposit line at the bank. Plain and simple.

I look at it this way. If Johanna Long were such a talent she'd have a 'decent deal'. If an owner saw the potential in her she'd be in a good ride. They don't and she isn't. They obviously don't feel that she has the marketing capabilities either or that may have been enough to get her into a well know ride, (see Danica). She'd have to produce, on the track or in the deposit line at the bank. Plain and simple.
Marketing potential appears to trump all these days and for that to work, people have to be talking. When conversations circle back around to the same old people, "marketeers" take notice.

Hollering that a driver can't get any exposure and a decent ride, than ranting about a dead driver and/or a media sweetheart doesn't exactly help anyone else.

I for one would like to see Johanna Long drive some good gear and we'd find out if she has what it takes or not but the excuse mafia will likely still find something else to blame if she fails. It's a very blatant, over used tactic for me to say that my driver is being beat by an inferior driver in superior equipment.

I guess what I'm ranting about is that marketability wins out over talent so if one wants their driver to be noticed, talk about them - not those who are claimed to already be over exposed.

I'm relatively new to NASCAR (started watching when Danica came over) but I watch all the races and listen to the NASCAR channel on Sirius. One thing I've really noticed is the NASCAR media and some of the fans really seem to be hung up on the history of the sport compared to other sports. I watch a lot of stick and ball sports and they bring up the history of their franchises and competitors at times but it isn't the constant referencing that I see in NASCAR. Personally, I get turned off when every single week we have reminiscing going on rather than talking about the current competitors. I've turned off pre-race and the radio many times when they go off on their reminiscing binges because I'm not really watching/listening to get a history lesson...I'm watching for the current competition.

Just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in here as a relatively newer fan to the sport...I'd watched at times in the past but just started following closely in the last few years. I also think it is a bit weird how many folks with current interests in teams or relationships with drivers are considered 'analysts' with very little disclaimers given.

Welcome back Vroom , great comments . Hope you're not reading the Danica thread . A lot of us actually cheer for Danica .

Back
Top Bottom