Kahne setting all-time records?

T

TonyB

Kahne has now qualified for 5 races as NASCAR's top level (I'll call it Cup so I don't have to type so dang much, but I'm referring to the 1949 Strictly Stock Series, the 1950-1971 Grand National Series, the 1972-2003 Winston Cup Series, and the 2004 Nextel Cup Series.)

Kasey is one of only 5 drivers to win 2 poles in his first 5 attempts. The list:
Martin, Mark (2) - 7/11/81 Nashville International Raceway; 9/13/81 Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway
Hutcherson, Dick (2) - 3/28/64 Greenville-Pickens Speedway; 4/14/64 Piedmont Interstate Fairgrounds
Burdick, Bob (2) - 5/17/59 Trenton Speedway; 6/18/59 Columbia Speedway
Kieper, John (2) - 5/27/56 Portland Speedway; 5/30/56 Eureka Speedway
Kahne, Kasey (2) - 3/5/04 Las Vegas; 3/19/04 Rockingham

Kahne has also recorded 3 top five finishes in his first 4 races. 2 Drivers recorded 4 top 5 finishes in thier first 4 races: Allen Adkins (at Oakland and Bay Medows in 1954 and at Arizona State Firgrounds and Tuscon Rodeo Fairgrounds in 1955) and Clyde Minter (at Martinsville and North Wilkesboro in 1949 and at Charlotte and Martinsville in 1950.)

4 drivers have matched Kahne's mark of 3 top 5s: Dan Gurney (1962-1963), Eric Erickson (1949-1951), Red Byron (1949), Curley Baker (1956).

Adkins finished outside the top 10 in his 5th and 6th races before recording the final top 5 finish of his career in his is 7th start. Adkins made a total of 14 career starts.

Minter finished outside the top 10 in his 5th start before recording the final top 5 of his career in his 6th start. Minter made a total of 42 career starts.

Gurney also recorded top 5 finishes in his 5th and 6th career starts before finishing 10th in his 7th career start and outside the top 10 in his 8th and 9th career starts. Gurney made a total of 16 career starts with 8 of those being top 5 finishes.

Erickson finished outside the top 5 in his 5th, 6th, and 7th career starts before finishing 5th in his 8th career start. Erickson made a total of 26 career starts with 6 of those being top 5 finishes.

Byron recorded a top 5 finish in his 5th start. He finished 16th in his 6th start. He then recorded a top 5 finish in his 7th, 8th, and 9th starts. Byron made a total of 15 career starts with 8 of those being top 5 finishes.

Barker made a total of 4 career starts (all at Portland Speedway) finishing with 3 top 5 finishes. His only finish outside the top 5 for 9th in his second career start.

-----

So, if Kahne makes it 4 top 5 finishes in 5 races Sunday at Darlington, he'll join Adkins, Minter, Gurney, and Byron as the only drivers to do so.

"Kahne, Kasey (2) - 3/5/04 Las Vegas; 3/19/04 Rockingham "
Darlington, right?

I don't think there's a lot of doubt Kasey is the real deal. I look for great things from him and am excited for him.

Interesting stats. But as a counterpoint, with no offense, KK falls short in a few other areas: McMurray and Harvick, just to mention two modern era examples, had both won by this point in their career. Also, KK isn't as young as popular opinion thinks. Kurt Busch, for instance, had won four races by the time he was the age KK is now.(Kasey is only a year and a half younger than Kurt is now.)

Not at all meant as a slam against Kasey--who I personally like---but if Ray is wanting the next really big thing this kid will have to win at once---like tomorrow. He's very good, but he will have to be almost perfect to bypass Newman, for instance. An indicator of how ultra competitive the sport is currently.

Originally posted by Eagle1@Mar 20 2004, 09:42 AM
"Kahne, Kasey (2) - 3/5/04 Las Vegas; 3/19/04 Rockingham "
Darlington, right?

I don't think there's a lot of doubt Kasey is the real deal. I look for great things from him and am excited for him.

The pole stuff is from NASCAR statistical services. I dug the other stuff out of my database.
I cut and pasted that part and obviously they meant to type Darlington and not Rockingham....

Back
Top Bottom