when did alcohol stop becoming a major sponsprship in nascar?

jasn88cubs

Team Owner
no more bud shootout (or busch clash)

coors no longer sponsors a car but the pole winner (which you hardly hear about)

budweiser had the most well known car with dale jr, now decided to have busch be a sponsor instead

miller has taken away some races

no more races known as the miller high life 400

or the bud 500

or bud at the glen

what happened?

beer and nascar go so well together

or was this a move to make nascar more white collar and family friendly

like how they kille dthe tobacco sponsorship

The FDA passed a law that forbids cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products from advertising in sports.

I think hard liquor has been out since about 2009.

You would think the beer companies would be all over it. Seems like NASCAR's fans would be a perfit fit.

I think the bean counters have gotten around to noticing a lot of empty seats at the tracks and the decline in TV viewership. Asking themselves what kind of ROI are we getting? Then there's the ever escalating fees nascar wants.

If you look around you'll see there's not many cars carrying the same sponsor for every race throughout the complete racing season anymore. .

Just a thought, I wonder how heavy it weighed on the minds of beer execs to see BK stumbling around drunk after his championship win in 2012?

The FDA passed a law that forbids cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products from advertising in sports.

I think hard liquor has been out since about 2009.

So how does the brickyard 400 get sponsored by Crown royal?

If I recall correctly, it was around '05 or '06 when the hard liquor ban was actually lifted. Jim Beam, Jack Daniel's, and Crown Royal all started sponsoring cars around that time.

Beyond my knowledge. Maybe there's a difference between a venue and team sponsors/rolling billboards? I don't know and I'm too lazy to look.
Ditto. I don't care who sponsors whom.

It would be a problem if any of the 36 couldn't pay their tire bill. They can.

Not sure that Nascar fans are the reliable market that they once were . But I wonder about the beer companies being sold to multinationals the same way Chrysler was . If the parent company isn't into Nascar , it's a tough sell.

I think the bean counters have gotten around to noticing a lot of empty seats at the tracks and the decline in TV viewership. Asking themselves what kind of ROI are we getting? Then there's the ever escalating fees nascar wants.

Advertisers have to be careful as Nascar skews to an older demographic and they are less likely to switch brands especially beer. I have never seen a Budweiser man switch to Miller or Miller Lite or a Coors Lite drinker to Bud Lite. I read some stats from AB-InBev that showed close to 50% of people between ages 21-27 had never even tasted Budweiser.

I am not a beer snob as a person should drink what they like but more and more people are liking craft beers and the big breweries are buying up as many of them as they can.

Reactions: Bob
The loss of tobacco and alcohol sponsorship did a lot of damage to motorsports in general.

If you look around you'll see there's not many cars carrying the same sponsor for every race throughout the complete racing season anymore. .

I could tell you each driver in the lineup even if I could only see a bit of the roof or something that showed color even from way back in the pack. There are maybe a half dozen team sponsors I am aware of but a whole lot IDK.

IDK who sponsors the 2 car a lot of time and don't know who sponsors the 3,4,5, 6, 7,9,10 (is a maker of snacks but don't know the name), 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19 or 20 just for starters. I understand that most companies choose not to be a primary sponsor all year long but I often wonder how this fractured sponsoring of cars works out.

Just a thought, I wonder how heavy it weighed on the minds of beer execs to see BK stumbling around drunk after his championship win in 2012?

I have not watched a season ending race since the chase started so I did get to see Kez stumbling around. I am surprised he got drunk on TV and even more surprised that his owner and sponsor allowed it.

There is one "moonshine" company that's near me that got pretty involved in racing sponsorship a few years ago. They were a sponsor of a major dirt late model series, one of the sport's top drivers, several area racetrack, and even had sponsorship at Bristol. Unless they still have their Bristol sponsorship, they are completely out of racing two years later. Guess they weren't getting a return on their investment.

... like how they kille dthe tobacco sponsorship
The federal government kill tobacco in all sports. That has nothing to do with alcohol sponsorships in NASCAR. Those come and go as the manufacturer alters its marketing strategy, same as most other products.

The loss of tobacco and alcohol sponsorship did a lot of damage to motorsports in general.
Care to expand on that? NASCAR's most popular years were after Winston left.

I'm not sure what you mean about the loss of alcohol sponsorship; last time I looked, there were at least two beer cans still out there.

Based on pure economics we need more sponsors with models thats actually has (hawt) models. A sponsor needs to make a lasting impression.
And many will easily forget, even try to forget a commercialized jingle.

Whereas a smoking hawt model with a product insignia on clothing that form fits or encases a fine quality posterior has eternal value. At least half of the audience will have an eternally indelible blissful spiritual unforgettable postive rememberence of the sponsors name afterwards.

NASCAR wants more and more money from sponsors when their fanbase is shrinking every year.

I do like this NASCAR NEXT thing. Looks like they're finally figuring out how to attract the youth. And the racing has improved a bunch. But it's gonna take a long time to convince people to watch again after 10 years of awful racing.

Care to expand on that? NASCAR's most popular years were after Winston left.

I'm not sure what you mean about the loss of alcohol sponsorship; last time I looked, there were at least two beer cans still out there.
I should specify, hard liquor. Jim Beam, Crown Royal, Jack Daniel's all left in the last seven or eight years I think. Those are major dollars that were lost. Robby Gordon was pretty much done a couple of years later and RCR had to contract from four cars the year after. RFR continues to struggle with sponsorship.

Brands like West, Marlboro, Player's, KOOL, Rothmans, Mild Seven, Camel, and the like were critical to open wheel racing and sports car racing around the world and those disciplines were subsequently hit hard by the tobacco bans.

Based on pure economics we need more sponsors with models thats actually has (hawt) models. A sponsor needs to make a lasting impression.
And many will easily forget, even try to forget a commercialized jingle.

Whereas a smoking hawt model with a product insignia on clothing that form fits or encases a fine quality posterior has eternal value. At least half of the audience will have an eternally indelible blissful spiritual unforgettable postive rememberence of the sponsors name afterwards.

I got a Kyle Petty hat (with pony tail attached ) from some Coors Light girls in a bar ar Daytona . Don't know where the hat is , but those girls were great and I still like the beer .

Race fans were always a little edgier than the average sports fan. Hell, we're walking though the gates with coolers packed with all the beer we can carry. Who are they kiddin? Like a lot of things, it's all about appearances and acting like they care.

I grew up 15 miles from Yuengling so I'm pretty much rooting for whoever is in that car. One side of my family may be responsible for a 3rd shift at that brewery! Jimmy Spencer in the Joe Camel...I never smoked but I had a Joe Camel t-shirt I used to wear running just for the comic irony, and if I DID smoke it would probably be Camels! No lie, I also have a buddy who drinks MGD and he was a big Rusty fan for that reason alone. I've already gone on record here at least once that my brother worked for Sunoco and that's how I became a Labonte fan. Maybe the petroleum industry will be banned from advertising next.

I cringed just a little, but Miller loved it. There were numerous stories in the media about how Miller marketing teams started work the very next morning to leverage BK's tipsy celebration and keep the coverage of it going as long as possible. And when you think it through, why not? No one was driving while drinking. No one was fighting, or abusing their wives. The sponsor's product was part of celebrating an accomplishment. Just what the sponsor wants. You've finished a tough project? Have some Miller. Won a softball league championship? Miller time. Got the lawn mowed? Etc etc.

I cringed just a little, but Miller loved it. There were numerous stories in the media about how Miller marketing teams started work the very next morning to leverage BK's tipsy celebration and keep the coverage of it going as long as possible. And when you think it through, why not? No one was driving while drinking. No one was fighting, or abusing their wives. The sponsor's product was part of celebrating an accomplishment. Just what the sponsor wants. You've finished a tough project? Have some Miller. Won a softball league championship? Miller time. Got the lawn mowed? Etc etc.
Damn right, from a PR point, it doesnt get much better than that.

I have not watched a season ending race since the chase started so I did get to see Kez stumbling around. I am surprised he got drunk on TV and even more surprised that his owner and sponsor allowed it.
I actually liked seeing him so happy after winning the championship.
Maybe downunder we don't get so uptight about this stuff.

Complaining about Kez celebrating... another example of the fact that most Nascar fans *say* they don't like vanilla, but then criticize every action that is even remotely non-vanilla.

I thought he was funny as all hell. The guy was enjoying his championship. Not a thing wrong with that.
I don't care for BK but he's entitled to celebrate any way he wants. After all it may be his only Championship. And by the way, if it had been me they would probably have had to prop me up with a stick. :D

It seemed like he was half-cut about ten minutes after the race ended.

I thought he was funny as all hell. The guy was enjoying his championship. Not a thing wrong with that.
Can't complain about him celebrating, but I guess PC comes into play somewhere along the line. I've acted a lot dumber and for a far dumber reason so I certainly won't knock it.

I never saw the celebration so I can't comment on any specifics but I am still surprised the networks, sponsors and owners were good with it.

NASCAR wants more and more money from sponsors when their fanbase is shrinking every year.

I do like this NASCAR NEXT thing. Looks like they're finally figuring out how to attract the youth. And the racing has improved a bunch. But it's gonna take a long time to convince people to watch again after 10 years of awful racing.

IDK what NACAR NEXT is but if it helps get people under 30 interested in Nascar it can't be bad.

Back
Top Bottom