Kurt Busch out at SHR after 2017

if you would replace all of the insurance commercials of today with Cigarette commercials it would be close to what tobacco makers advertised back in the day. I think there would still be more tobacco ads though. Magazines, race cars. It's hard to imagine if you are younger.

if you would replace all of the insurance commercials of today with Cigarette commercials it would be close to what tobacco makers advertised back in the day. I think there would still be more tobacco ads though. Magazines, race cars. It's hard to imagine if you are younger.
This is Flo here for Marlboro

I hope Kurt goes to the 77 so he will have driven for Ford (twice) Dodge, Chevy (three teams) and now Toyota. My wife will be pissed though if I have to go out and get 77 gear....been through a lot of numbers now as a Kurt Busch fan.

I hope he stays in the 41

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...as-racing-sponsorship-future-plans/542649001/

Good read on Danica. I am scared about some of what this says, but encouraged as well. She WANTS to race, I feel and is happy with how the team is working now. Seems like if she gets a sponsor, its game on for the last year of her deal.

Also, Im reasonable as well. As much as Id like to see a 2-3 more seasons or more of her racing, I feel she races out her contract and then retires. Likely to motherhood.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...as-racing-sponsorship-future-plans/542649001/

Good read on Danica. I am scared about some of what this says, but encouraged as well. She WANTS to race, I feel and is happy with how the team is working now. Seems like if she gets a sponsor, its game on for the last year of her deal.

Also, Im reasonable as well. As much as Id like to see a 2-3 more seasons or more of her racing, I feel she races out her contract and then retires. Likely to motherhood.

sponsorship for her next year is not out of the question. Aspen Dental really stepped up this year and she is yet to have an unsponsored race, despite everyone saying that she has no sponsors..

See, that's the first I've heard of this offer. I wouldn't go on a Friday anyway, and it's likely the track makes as much off food and souvenirs on Friday as it does from admission. But I wouldn't have a clue how to have learned about it. If it was via some form of social media, odds are I'd be too security-conscious / paranoid to enroll.

It was via social media.

If you are worried about security I might suggest the following:
- Do some research on Tor
- Download it and use it when surfing the web to go to social media sites.
- Get a free email account from one several places that are well know for not tracking/scanning/reading your email. You can do a web search on it.
- Use Tor and the free email account you set up to open a social media account to follow only whomever. Don't post.

or

Just type into Duck Duck Go (a well known search engine that doesn't track you) Monster Energy Instagram or twitter and read what they share with their followers once you go to those social media accounts. They share promotions and you don't have to sign-up to be notified about them.

sponsorship for her next year is not out of the question. Aspen Dental really stepped up this year and she is yet to have an unsponsored race, despite everyone saying that she has no sponsors..

SHR has sponsorship issues on Bower's ride too. How many races has he shown up with HAAS on the car? A bunch. I think the only ride that is fully funded outside of the team is the 4 car.

SHR has sponsorship issues on Bower's ride too. How many races has he shown up with HAAS on the car? A bunch. I think the only ride that is fully funded outside of the team is the 4 car.

Yeah the 14 has basically had zero sponsorship

IMO she should go now, and save face. Sponsorship would be the reason she left. She was great for the sport. It didn't work. She was never fast even in practice, and that's okay. I worry that the positivity she generates is about to be overcome by the frustration some fans will feel as their veteran heroes (and former champions) will be without rides.....should she keep hers. This would be a decent final chapter.

Can't disagree with this more.

Other drivers being able to get a ride is not her concern and shouldn't be. A company who wants to sponsor Danica isn't going to suddenly choose Matt Kenseth or Kurt Busch.

The 10 car would never have been on the track in the first place without her being in the car...so tired of this bs from fans that other drivers aren't getting a ride because Danica's got a ride. There are several seats available right now for those guys if someone wants to put them in the seat.

If Kenseth or others aren't in a ride next year and she is it's not Danica's fault and she shouldn't give a crap if fans don't like this.

IMO she should go now, and save face. Sponsorship would be the reason she left. She was great for the sport. It didn't work. She was never fast even in practice, and that's okay. I worry that the positivity she generates is about to be overcome by the frustration some fans will feel as their veteran heroes (and former champions) will be without rides.....should she keep hers. This would be a decent final chapter.

Can't disagree with this more.

Other drivers being able to get a ride is not her concern and shouldn't be. A company who wants to sponsor Danica isn't going to suddenly choose Matt Kenseth or Kurt Busch.

The 10 car would never have been on the track in the first place without her being in the car...so tired of this bs from fans that other drivers aren't getting a ride because Danica's got a ride. There are several seats available right now for those guys if someone wants to put them in the seat.

If Kenseth or others aren't in a ride next year and she is it's not Danica's fault and she shouldn't give a crap if fans don't like this.

Missing my point. I don't care if Danica is in the series or not, or who gets screwed out of a ride or not. The tide is turning on Danica. She hasn't performed--that's a fact, right? The whining that will result if she stays in the series and Matt, et al. leave due to sponsorship issues will be loud. The positive vibe she has enjoyed since entering the series will dissipate quickly. What's left at that point? Not much. This is why I feel that it is time for her to leave gracefully using the lack of sponsorship as the excuse.

Missing my point. I don't care if Danica is in the series or not, or who gets screwed out of a ride or not. The tide is turning on Danica. She hasn't performed--that's a fact, right? The whining that will result if she stays in the series and Matt, et al. leave due to sponsorship issues will be loud. The positive vibe she has enjoyed since entering the series will dissipate quickly. What's left at that point? Not much. This is why I feel that it is time for her to leave gracefully using the lack of sponsorship as the excuse.

Disagree. some feel that JR had a ride on his daddys name and no other reason and he stayed too long. I fully support Danica in whatever she chooses to do. Let the hate flow if it happens.

Kenseth's time was running out at JGR with or without Danica in the picture, lol. Matt is 45, and frankly, he has been very erratic. Sure, he's been caught up in accidents that were not of his own doing, but the man has not won in a year. His last win was kind of a fluke win too, as it turned out that his car could not pass inspection. If his performance stay the same as it has been, he'd be the one saving face by not racing next year. He's an ex-champion who seems to be fading a bit. I wouldn't want to see Matt go winless throughout the next season or two in a top car.

Kurt Busch has been struggling this season compared to his standards; he has said it himself, he is glad that he got the Daytona 500 win because the rest of the season has been very hit-or-miss. Danica doesn't have anything to do with that either.

My opinion is that she should get to stay. Personally, I think there is a flip side to what Revman said earlier. With some of the big names potentially out of the sport (though hopefully not), it just gives Danica more prominence in the sport - if she stays, of course.

It was via social media.

If you are worried about security I might suggest the following:
- Do some research on Tor
- Download it and use it when surfing the web to go to social media sites.
- Get a free email account from one several places that are well know for not tracking/scanning/reading your email. You can do a web search on it.
- Use Tor and the free email account you set up to open a social media account to follow only whomever. Don't post.

or

Just type into Duck Duck Go (a well known search engine that doesn't track you) Monster Energy Instagram or twitter and read what they share with their followers once you go to those social media accounts. They share promotions and you don't have to sign-up to be notified about them.
All excellent suggestions, and I implemented some of them or variations years ago. (I'm a network admin.)

I'm not worried about security while browsing. It's the personal data the social sites want for registration. Sure, I could hand them some false data right up front, but I don't feel comfortable doing that. Also, I'm too lazy to check assorted sites on a regular basis, also too lazy to manage yet another e-mail account (4 is enough), and too forgetful to check those sites without benefit of a subscription / 'folllow' as a reminder.

Eh, I'm over it.

All excellent suggestions, and I implemented some of them or variations years ago. (I'm a network admin.)

I'm not worried about security while browsing. It's the personal data the social sites want for registration. Sure, I could hand them some false data right up front, but I don't feel comfortable doing that. Also, I'm too lazy to check assorted sites on a regular basis, also too lazy to manage yet another e-mail account (4 is enough), and too forgetful to check those sites without benefit of a subscription / 'folllow' as a reminder.

Eh, I'm over it.

You can always lie about what you share with them. Nobody says you have to provide the truth when filling out those forms. That way their analytic data is messed up. LOL.

Maybe Gene Haas will readjust his sights on what sponsorships are worth in today's Nascar and all 4 teams will be fully funded but at heavily discounted rates. With the market changing Gene has to decide if 25-30% of a loaf is better than no loaf at all, whether he wants to sponsor his own teams through his company or just shut them down.

I hope Kurt goes to the 77 so he will have driven for Ford (twice) Dodge, Chevy (three teams) and now Toyota. My wife will be pissed though if I have to go out and get 77 gear....been through a lot of numbers now as a Kurt Busch fan.

Yeah you are a true Kurt Busch fan, just don't think I could follow Kyle Busch if he ever switched to a Ford. Good thing Toyota loves him.

Kurt would be great with the #77.Gives him Gibbs Power and I bet he will be a factor to win every week just like Truex is now.

You can always lie about what you share with them. Nobody says you have to provide the truth when filling out those forms. That way their analytic data is messed up. LOL.
Yeah, that's the bit I said I didn't feel comfortable doing. I know it's an option but my personal ethics get in the way. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Maybe Gene Haas will readjust his sights on what sponsorships are worth in today's Nascar and all 4 teams will be fully funded but at heavily discounted rates. With the market changing Gene has to decide if 25-30% of a loaf is better than no loaf at all, whether he wants to sponsor his own teams through his company or just shut them down.
Speaking of readjusting sponsorship sights, Haas (the company, not Gene) is already footing the F1 bill. With that load on the marketing budget, will Gene be able to afford to continue carrying the #41 (and the other pies he has his finger in)?

DGpPGAWUIAAah2F.jpg:large

Remind me, despite this discussion's title, Kurt is NOT officially announced as out after 2017, right? Keeping with the DJ quote, the team just hasn't yet picked up his option for '18, correct?

Speaking of readjusting sponsorship sights, Haas (the company, not Gene) is already footing the F1 bill. With that load on the marketing budget, will Gene be able to afford to continue carrying the #41 (and the other pies he has his finger in)?

Gene is dumping a boatload of money on racing so maybe he is just trying to to turn his large fortune into a small fortune.

Remind me, despite this discussion's title, Kurt is NOT officially announced as out after 2017, right? Keeping with the DJ quote, the team just hasn't yet picked up his option for '18, correct?

Correct. Although I really do believe he's getting offers from elsewhere. I have a feeling Furniture Row inquired about Monster's status. If Kurt's a free agent and Monster agrees to come back and sponsor him, he could easily go to the #77 (or 97) and that car would be funded like Barney wants. It might be a battle between teams if Monster (or someone else) says yes to sponsoring.

They didn't pick up his option by the Wednesday deadline, so he's a free agent. Although the intent was to negotiate an entirely new deal.

Kurt would be great with the #77.Gives him Gibbs Power and I bet he will be a factor to win every week just like Truex is now.

Kurt in the 77 would be great I think. Would make that team even more legitimate than they already are with two championship contenders. Would also allow him to run some races with KBM in the trucks I imagine.

What DJ says sounds correct as they probably just want Kurt's salary to fit into today's Nascar which means a considerable amount less. I believe @Allenbaba said Matt Kenseth would be looking at having his salary cut to the tune of 80% if he drives next year.

What DJ says sounds correct as they probably just want Kurt's salary to fit into today's Nascar which means a considerable amount less. I believe @Allenbaba said Matt Kenseth would be looking at having his salary cut to the tune of 80% if he drives next year.
I missed that number for Matt, but it doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the info.

That's quite the haircut ... if you can recoup some it with bonus based on performance then maybe you consider that steep of a cut. If I'm Matt I wouldn't accept it. Hang em' up ... call me when I'm getting enshrined ;)

A 80% pay cut probably cuts him out of the Private Plane & Luxury Motor Coach life. That's a very visible come down, as well as making the job a bit harder (without the comforts).

A 80% pay cut probably cuts him out of the Private Plane & Luxury Motor Coach life. That's a very visible come down, as well as making the job a bit harder (without the comforts).

It certainly would take some getting used to.

Correct. Although I really do believe he's getting offers from elsewhere. I have a feeling Furniture Row inquired about Monster's status. If Kurt's a free agent and Monster agrees to come back and sponsor him, he could easily go to the #77 (or 97) and that car would be funded like Barney wants. It might be a battle between teams if Monster (or someone else) says yes to sponsoring.
If Monster comes back, I see no reason why he'd leave SHR. SHR really wants Kurt in their stable, and I know Kurt's happy there. The entire reason Kurt's a free agent is because Monster's status is unsure (meaning, what SHR will be able to pay him next season is unsure, which is why they couldn't blindly agree to extend the current contract). So... it's not like other teams who have been talking to Kurt know any more about Monster than SHR or Kurt. No one knows Monster's status for next season.

But just to play out a hypothetical...if Monster does come back, and Kurt decides to leave SHR (for some odd reason) they'd still be millions and millions shy of fully funding the 77. That car will not be "funded like Barney wants" with Monster alone. Maybe half a season (which is what Monster does now). So Kurt & Barney would still be left with a ton of work to do, and very little time to do it. I've said this before, and I'll say it again...Kurt driving the 77 next season is a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot.

Also... my "80% pay cut for Kenseth" isn't based on any inside intel or science. I pulled that number out of thin air. But, I do know his salary, and I do know what kind of rides are open, and I have a rough idea about what those rides would be willing to pay a driver...and so I'm quite sure if he wants one of those rides he'll be taking a very large pay cut.

Also... my "80% pay cut for Kenseth" isn't based on any inside intel or science. I pulled that number out of thin air. But, I do know his salary, and I do know what kind of rides are open, and I have a rough idea about what those rides would be willing to pay a driver...and so I'm quite sure if he wants one of those rides he'll be taking a very large pay cut.

Thanks as I didn't want to put words in your mouth but I seemed to remember you saying 80%. In reality it doesn't matter if it is 50% or 72.2% as the bottom line is that his direct deposits next year will be substantially smaller.

Back
Top Bottom