Martinsville resurfacing project

J

Jmac

Martinsville resurfacing project set to begin

MARTINSVILLE, Va. -- After a couple of months of thought, research and planning, Martinsville Speedway's racing surface is set for a total facelift.

Construction crews began demolition of the concrete in the turns Wednesday morning in preparation for a total resurfacing of the .526-mile oval. The project, which includes new concrete in the turns and asphalt on the straights, should be finished by mid-July.

"I think the drivers are going to like what they see when they come back in the fall," said Martinsville Speedway president Clay Campbell. "A lot of time and effort has been put into this to make the racing surface as smooth, as near-perfect as it can be."

Drivers and fans alike will notice a slight change at the exits of the second and fourth turns. The two grooves of concrete will be extended about 100 feet past the exit point of the turns.

"Drivers have expressed concern for years about the transition between the concrete and asphalt," said Campbell. "In the past they were still trying to accelerate off the corner while they were changing surfaces. Now the concrete will extend out further. It will be less upsetting to the car."

The transition point from asphalt to concrete entering the first and third turns will remain the same. "Entering the turn isn't really an issue," said Campbell.

Surveying crews spent several weeks carefully charting the racing surface to make sure the finished product was as smooth as possible.

"The resurfacing will be done with computer precision," said Campbell. "The track is going to be very smooth; the transition points will be near-perfect."

That track is even uglier in person than it is on TV. I am kind of surprised to see them put that much of a financial investment in the track when it seems clear that NASCAR is hell bent on leaving that area of the country behind. Imagine the uproar now when NASCAR takes Martinsville's 2nd date and moves it to somewhere on the west coast. :unsure:

Its eventually gonna happen. I'd say pretty much after next year.

Could be some last desperate efforts to make the racing even better and to make all the drivers happy with the track.

Back
Top Bottom