Moving Daytona 500

F

fordroush

This may be old news but wanting your opinion. Today after the race on the show Raceline, they did a commentary on the moving of the Daytona 500 to the last race of the season. Nascar new man is considering the move. The Daytona 500 is a landmark and is only natural that it be the first race of the season. In the piece she said even the July race at Daytona was also being considered for the last race.

In my opinion the last race of the season should not be a RP race. If the big one happened in the first 20 or 30 laps it could take out the person running for the championship. It would be interesting but I think it would be a bad move.

Just wanted some feedback on this.

Make the second race the last race of the year. And move the Firecracker 400 to Atlanta.

Move the July race to the end of the year and have it be for the championship!

get rid of the july race altogether & the fall talladega to boot. :p

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 22 2004, 09:41 AM
I could see some validity in it. Daytona is more of a sham now than it used to be anyway.
Sham? it was the perfect race this year! :cheers:

Daytona was the best race, I think they should boot Bristol and Martinsville out of the schedule or take a race out of em, after all at Bristol and Martinsville, one guy leads the entire race and every 10 laps a damn wreck happens so its more demolition derby than it is real racing. To all short track fans, I'm sorry but from a guy whos watched countless road course races, what can you expect?

Personally, I would love to see NASCAR institute some more road races however, I'd be a hypocrite If I said that wouldnt hit tradition you know, my hatred of short tracks but they should keep Daytona 500 at the start of the year, this Brian France has already screwed enough of the tradition already, I thought the premise of this "rebirth" of NASCAR would be to honor its traditions not to crap all over them.

Daytona as the last race of the year would be the worst idea NASCAR has had yet. And they have had some really bad ideas. :angry:

I could see making Daytona a "non-point" race like The Winston before I could see making it the determining factor in the points race <_<

The first half of the Daytona 500 was great, but the last half just sucked. No offense Jr fans, but it did! The best race of the year so far has to be the Rockingham race, but that'll change after this weekend. Bring on Bristol!!

Originally posted by Happy29@Mar 22 2004, 06:33 PM
Daytona was the best race, I think they should boot Bristol and Martinsville out of the schedule or take a race out of em, after all at Bristol and Martinsville, one guy leads the entire race and every 10 laps a damn wreck happens so its more demolition derby than it is real racing. To all short track fans, I'm sorry but from a guy whos watched countless road course races, what can you expect?

Personally, I would love to see NASCAR institute some more road races however, I'd be a hypocrite If I said that wouldnt hit tradition you know, my hatred of short tracks but they should keep Daytona 500 at the start of the year, this Brian France has already screwed enough of the tradition already, I thought the premise of this "rebirth" of NASCAR would be to honor its traditions not to crap all over them.
Booooo!! Road Course fan. Just my opinion more short tracks and get rid of both RC races. Nascar drivers should never have to turn right.

Nothing personal I just dont' like the RC races and most of time don't even watch them.

Nascar drivers/champions are suppose to be the best drivers in the world, to prove that they should be able to drive on road courses along with ovals.

Originally posted by smack500@Mar 22 2004, 08:40 PM
Nascar drivers/champions are suppose to be the best drivers in the world, to prove that they should be able to drive on road courses along with ovals.
That's a pretty broad statement there!! :) I'm a stock car racing fan and I suppose I should agree with you..........however, I find it pretty hard to conceive that any style of racing could be the the best in the world and consequently the drivers/Champions the best in the world. You'd have a huge argument on your hands in a crowd of F1 fans, IRL fans, Rally fans, Drag fans, etc. NASCAR is primarily an oval course racing series. Road courses are thrown in more or less for novelty effect, but NASCAR was born on ovals and will survive on ovals. I'm not a big road course fan at all........but I sure don't think they should be dropped from the schedule. It is part of the game that every driver/Champion must pass (or, at least, survive) but a driver that doesn't master roads cannot be said to be less of a driver/Champion. However, if a driver (note I've not put the slash in) cannot be a Champion in NASCAR if he/she cannot master ovals. NASCAR is an oval course stock car series........do too many road courses and it will completely change the sport we all love.

If you noticed I said "are suppose to be". Anouncers, experts, and fans of the sport constantly say this. They say it atleast 2 or 3 times during one race. I personally think there are other series that show alot more driver skill then nascar, but I admit I do enjoy watching nascar more then those series. But I do think that if nascar is going to keep saying that they have some of the best drivers/champions in the world they should keep the road courses on the schedule.

All I ever wanted was 2 more rc dates, I find that only fair with there being 4 RP track dates. There would still be alot more ovals then either, and I dont see 2 dates totally changing the sport.

Back
Top Bottom