Music collections

VaDirt

Dirt Track Fanatic
Just out of curiosity, what was the first music in your collection. CD, vinyl, first *purchased* MP3, or even cassette or 8-track?

For me, it was the Black Sabbath album, on vinyl, "Heaven and Hell," the classic first Sabbath album featuring Ronnie James Dio.

My first was a cassette and I'm embarrassed to say it but...mine was Sir Mix A Lot, Seattle Ain't Bull^*t. It's to this day the only rap album I own. I'm strictly Rock N Roll now.

I honestly can't remember which was the first thign I owned. We had a ton of vinyl albums growing up. Mostly all of them belonged to my brothers and sisters. I do remember buying a ton of cassettes. A lot of the early stuff I remember buying was anything from Iron Maiden to Motley Crue, .38 Special, J, Geils Band, Def Leppard and all kinds of stuff.

45 record. Beach Boys, 409. Wore that puppy paper thin. Drove my mother nutz.:rolleyes:

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs, LP. Second album was Edgar Winter - Frankenstein, third was Aerosmith - Rocks. I had to use my sisters record player.

I can't remember for sure, it may have been either The Grand Illusion by Styx, or Running on Empty by Jackson Browne. I got both of them on vinyl when they first came out, and eventually outgrew both of them. Can't really say I'm much of a Styx or Jackson Browne fan anymore.

Freaking kids! All of you! Nothin' but kids! My first bought was a 78 r.p.m. vinyl recording by Francis Craig and his orchestra titled, "Near You."

Freaking kids! All of you! Nothin' but kids! My first bought was a 78 r.p.m. vinyl recording by Francis Craig and his orchestra titled, "Near You."

Lighten up, ya crotchety old fart:D You probably had to hand crank that thing, didn't you.:einstein:

Lighten up, ya crotchety old fart:D You probably had to hand crank that thing, didn't you.:einstein:

Thanks for mentioning that VaDirt! It brought back a few good memories.

As a lad, my oldest sister, who was several years older than me, had many big band recordings from that era. While she was at school, I played her records on a portable crank record player and kept looking out the window to see when she was coming home since I wasn't supposed to play them. In 1943, she enlisted in the WAVES and took her hand crank record player with her: That is when the wonder of AM radio introduced me to Martin Block and the "Make Believe Ballroom" on WNEW from NYC every morning at ten and WAAT out of Newark, NJ, a station that played country music.

So yes, this old fart has experienced hand crank record players, manual typewriters and telephones where you had to give an operator the number in order to make a call. A phone system that, unless you were a professional such as doctor or lawyer, everyone pretty much had a party line.

Great music , good bass line too , lousy videos back then . It sure sounds like rock and roll to me.

We had a party line when I was growing up, and my dad also had (and my brother still has (a standup Motorola) phonograph.

And Whiz, they had radio stations back then?

So yes, this old fart has experienced hand crank record players, manual typewriters and telephones where you had to give an operator the number in order to make a call. A phone system that, unless you were a professional such as doctor or lawyer, everyone pretty much had a party line.
Ditto and I still remember our first phone number... 1493J and I also knew a couple of the operators who also recognized my voice. My first record player, I guess I should really say that it was my mother's, was a square 45 rpm player where you could stack several records. I'm not nearly as old as you so we never had a 78 rpm player, but then again, we never had a 33 1/3 rpm player either. I just remember my folks letting me purchase an Elvis record at the time. If I had to say which one, I'd say "You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog" but I can't swear to it. My mother told me that my first favorite song was "Goodnight Irene" by old blue eyes.

Back
Top Bottom