nascar changing the bodies again

S

steveluvs3

I guess nascar has ruled their going to change the bodies for 2004. RCR said it's going to cost him about a million and a half to change all his bodies and ray evernham said it's going to cost him 8 to 900
thousand and he said what's really upsetting is that we just tore off all the bodies and put new ones on for the 2003 rules.

Now my question is are they doing this because of the new taurus?

I would be very surprised. The "new" Taurus was designed with the current rules in mind.

Originally posted by Windsor377@Oct 4 2003, 06:49 PM
I would be very surprised. The "new" Taurus was designed with the current rules in mind.
that's what I'm talking about, is the new taurus that good they had to change the rules?

Originally posted by steveluvs3+Oct 4 2003, 06:57 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (steveluvs3 @ Oct 4 2003, 06:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Windsor377@Oct 4 2003, 06:49 PM
I would be very surprised.&nbsp; The "new" Taurus was designed with the current rules in mind.
that's what I'm talking about, is the new taurus that good they had to change the rules? [/b][/quote]
You didn't think NASCAR was gonna make Ford change for everyone else did you??? They are so disadvantaged, just ask Jack Roach..... <_<

nascar obviously only wants the teams with the most money to spend in their top series. They will continue to price the lessor funded teams out of the top ten, then twenty, then thirty, then off the track completely.

The old saying that speed cost how fast ya want to go is once again the name of the game. Bummer is that nascar is quickly becoming IROC in disguise.

Championships have always been more or less bought. Very few have gone to the best driver over the team that brings the best cars. It's simply going to get more expensive, that's all.

AND, the more money you have invested in nascar the carefuller (is that a word?) you are when it comes time to criticise the sanctioning body.

Championships depend on getting The NASCAR Nod. Tork the guys in the smoke filled back room and you might as well not even show up.

Originally posted by fergy1370+Oct 4 2003, 07:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fergy1370 @ Oct 4 2003, 07:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -steveluvs3@Oct 4 2003, 06:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Windsor377
@Oct 4 2003, 06:49 PM
I would be very surprised.  The "new" Taurus was designed with the current rules in mind.

that's what I'm talking about, is the new taurus that good they had to change the rules?
You didn't think NASCAR was gonna make Ford change for everyone else did you??? They are so disadvantaged, just ask Jack Roach..... <_< [/b][/quote]
And if it's a matter of one building to existing rules, why changes at all?...unless they are going toward the "bigger NASCAR"...which might be a good idea.

Originally posted by 71Fan@Oct 4 2003, 07:19 PM
nascar obviously only wants the teams with the most money to spend in their top series. They will continue to price the lessor funded teams out of the top ten, then twenty, then thirty, then off the track completely.

The old saying that speed cost how fast ya want to go is once again the name of the game. Bummer is that nascar is quickly becoming IROC in disguise.

Championships have always been more or less bought. Very few have gone to the best driver over the team that brings the best cars. It's simply going to get more expensive, that's all.

AND, the more money you have invested in nascar the carefuller (is that a word?) you are when it comes time to criticise the sanctioning body.

Championships depend on getting The NASCAR Nod. Tork the guys in the smoke filled back room and you might as well not even show up.
You said the "IROC" word...I'll have nightmares for sure...

why can't we just run the bodies the Mfg. makes, take the money wasted in iroc and put in cup? I don't know why we have to make this so hard.

politics. Remember when ford was playin with the idea of making the lincoln mark 8 a stock car. Nascar shot that idea down real quick when kranufuss-hass built one
and it was a super aero car and gm had nothing in their stable to come close to it.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Oct 4 2003, 11:42 PM
EJL, I'm with you. Run the body style that Joe Sixpack buys off the showroom floor.
Lady thats what made racin.

Originally posted by EJL@Oct 4 2003, 08:59 PM
why can't we just run the bodies the Mfg. makes, take the money wasted in iroc and put in cup? I don't know why we have to make this so hard.
It will never happen, Just like the end of racism, It will never happen :(

It can never happen.GM can't compete with Ford or Mopar without a lot of 'rules conditioning' in their favor.... ;)

Originally posted by 97forever@Oct 4 2003, 10:29 PM
It can never happen.GM can't compete with Ford or Mopar without a lot of 'rules conditioning' in their favor.... ;)
awwwwwwww boy here we go, the great chevy ford debate

Funny how NA$CAR says no to letting the Cup guys use roller lifters because NA$CAR says it is to keep the costs down(though Busch and the stupid trucks can run them) and then they pull this crap.

Why don't they just make Ford adapt the new nose and rear to the existing body? The other teams are gonna scream like he!! if the new Ford body and nose are very oreo. NA$CAR goes out it's way to cause trouble and controversy.

But then NA$CAR's goal was for all the cars to be the same except for the nose and rear. Can you say common template? Since NA$CAR wants this be like IROC they should just go ahead and make everyone run the same fiberglass body made by one company and also make them run a crate engine from one source.

The easy answer is make the teams use factory sheet metal but that will never happen.

The body has to meet the existing (now new I guess) "standard template". Meaning, only the nose and tail are unique. Regardless of what the showroom floor model looks like. Factory sheet metal has nothing to do with this call.

I know this is alittle off the subject...but if they did have a completly common template, then why don't we see more car companies coming to NASCAR if all they have to do is build an engine?

Also, what would happen if say one of the Ford teams (which did have support and backing from Ford) decided to put Mustang decals on the car instead of Taurus decals? This doesn't just have to be with Ford, but I was just wondering if NASCAR would have a fit or not...

I think as long as NA$CAR gets their money from Detroit, they do not care. It has been this way since day one.

When Chrysler got into racing, with 5 teams, 60 pro mechanics and fancy hauler's, Herb Thomas in a Smokey Yunick built Chevy had the championship won. But Chrysler was dangling money in front of old man Frances nose and at the last minute he added to more races to the schedule. The Keickhauer team of 5 Chryslers stuffed Herb in both races and walked off with the Cup. Buck Baker was the Champ.

NA$CAR has always "fixed races" and do to this day.

In 1957 all the Car makers pulled out of racing. Chrysler gave the Petty's a ton of support and money. A lot of money will allow oversized engines to win races.

What I am understanding is that NASCAR is not changing the templates so much as they are changing the tolerances allowed under the existing templates. There are a few changes in the greenhouse area I think, but not real big ones.

The problem is the teams have, predictably, exploited every tolerance to the limit. Mostly in a fashion which the Zippy offset carried to an extreme. Figure that maybe you have a quarter inch at the front of the roof and a quarter inch at the rear, you under at the front and over at the rear and you've changed the outline by half an inch.

Rumor has it the GM teams get a lot of added advantage this way and the Dodges have figured out a way to work within the templates and get an edge as well. Ford more than likely has done the same. It is entirely possible that the newer GM noses enhance the flow better than the older Mopar and Ford noses. Nobody talks in detail for obvious reasons.

So NASCAR is responding to the teams spending money to beat the rules, and the teams are complaining about spending to meet the rules instead of beating them. Old story.

And going to more stock like bodies, oir however you want to phrase would not help this problem in the least. The teams would spend beaucoup bucks to beat the rules anyway by testing and testing and tweaking and tweaking, and you end up in the same place. At this level with the funds and knowledge the teams have, unless you issue the bodies to the teams just before the race, they are gonna tinker with it. And tinker with it constantly.

To me it is not about the money or the rules. The issue the teams have is where they want to spend their money, not that they have to spend it. The bottom line is that teams want to spend to get an advantage over everyone else, and NASCAR wants to minimize the effect of that. The goal of the two factions are not even remotely the same.

The goal of every race team out there is to beat the living tar out of every other team. Legal or not. The goal of NASCAR is keep all the teams on the same page. These two goals are not compatable.

ray evernham said "I guess the good thing is we only have to change 75% of the body where's as to last year 100%"

Shucks. we are trying to do about the same thing with the R/C car.

Originally posted by 97forever@Oct 4 2003, 10:29 PM
:moon:

Originally posted by 97forever@Oct 5 2003, 08:22 PM
Excellent point Happy!They reflected back on you Bow!HA!
:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: what does that do? moons everybody here. :lol: :lol:

The new rules will put the driver back into the race...

Rookies that dont know how to save their stuff will struggle and drivers like Mark Martin and jeff Gordon will win about 8 races a year...just like 98 all over again.

I for one....SAY BRING On 04'

Originally posted by steveluvs3@Oct 4 2003, 09:57 PM
politics. Remember when ford was playin with the idea of making the lincoln mark 8 a stock car. Nascar shot that idea down real quick when kranufuss-hass built one
and it was a super aero car and gm had nothing in their stable to come close to it.
i'm not sure, but didn't the hemi get outlawed from NASCAR because GM (aka CHEAT EM) didn't have anything that could rival the hemi?

Back
Top Bottom