NASCAR draft 2016

If all drivers became free agents, I'd be looking at a driver who has the potential for a great longer-term future. I (begrudgingly) have to admit that Kyle Busch would be a good choice for no 1, but Jimmie Johnson shouldn't be in the top five. He's over 40! I'd be looking at guys like Blaney, Larson, Elliot etc.

Busch and Logano should easily be 1-2. Then Brad and Edwards. Jones and Chase should be the highest young guns, and Larson at 15th is comical.

Erik Jones fell from 8th in 2015 to 14th this year.

I didn't look at the links but I am assuming a Nascar draft is just for fun and games which is absolutely fine. What isn't absolutely fine for me is they way Nascar has tried to pattern itself after stick and ball as opposed to celebrating its uniqueness from the others.

STICK AND BALL ALERT.

Is it Fake Football Season again? FFS kicks off with the NFL Pro Bowl, a game with less contact than a flag football game between hemophiliacs. Next on the FFS schedule is college signing day, or 'Draft Day Lite'. Watch kids commit to a coach who will leave them behind to deal with the NCAA violations while he starts clean elsewhere. This followed Spring Football; this culminates in a game between the offense and defense of the same team, the football version of playing with yourself. FFS wraps up in the biggest ado about nothing, the NFL draft, when otherwise apparently intelligent people watch teams decide which kids they want to have show up late for camp because they haven't signed contracts.

If Johnny Manziel didn't demonstrate that being a high-round draft pick is way overrated, nothing will.

Back
Top Bottom