NASCAR Endurance Race or Race of Champions as an exhibition race

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Every year that I watch that Rolex 24 race it always gets me thinking that it would be a great event if NASCAR could do something similar. Not necessarily 24 hours. Maybe something like 12 hours? A race that starts in the morning and ends under the lights @ a track. Which brings up..... What track? What type of track? How could it work?

Endurance Race

I'd like to see it be team vs. team. HMS vs. RCR vs. SHR, etc..... The team of drivers vs. all the other teams of drivers. No points. Just the trophy and money. It's gotta be a road course. Put those lights up @ The Glen! :cool:

or

Race of Champions

Not sure if you are aware of how the race is run? Driver vs. driver on the same course. Head to head in an elimination type format until only one driver is left.

I think it would be cool to see either done. I think each would pull in the fans and peak interest in the sport.

I thought we already had an endurance race, it's called the Coca Cola 600! :D :p

I could be down for it, the more racing I get the better. I see some people always want shorter races or less races and I'm like, just give me some more races and I'm happy, points, no points, it's a race to me and I'll enjoy it.

I thought we already had an endurance race, it's called the Coca Cola 600! :D :p
The 600 is no more an endurance race than the Dover of old.

I just thought the experience of seeing the drivers teaming up in the same car against other organizations might be appealing.

Watching the Rolex 24 always makes me wish that NASCAR would at least run that configuration. I think a 12 hour race could be cool - maybe if they had cup, xfinity, and trucks all out there at once for each team.... kind of like the Rolex series.

NASCAR drivers used to run in the 24 hours of Daytona but I think sponsors and team owners have put an end to that. Only three NASCAR drivers ran this year (McMurray and Larson won this year and Allmendinger won in 2012). McMurray and Larson do it because Ganassi asks his NASCAR and IndyCar teams to drive his second entry and Allmendinger does it out of loyalty for Michael Shank Racing (who gave him a break).

The Race of Champions is run every year in Europe. In 2002 Gordon and Johnson won the Nation's Cup for the US. I miss IROC but it became a side show at NASCAR weekends and consisted of mostly NASCAR drivers.

With the long Cup season I don't think the teams want the expense and loss of time off for an endurance event. But I would like to see more drivers do the 24 Hours of Daytona.

Watching the Rolex 24 always makes me wish that NASCAR would at least run that configuration. I think a 12 hour race could be cool - maybe if they had cup, xfinity, and trucks all out there at once for each team.... kind of like the Rolex series.
Even better.

Race of Champions. They use six or seven different cars so you get a good feel for who's really talented.

I doubt Cup cars would last through an endurance race. If they could, I would want to see Pro-Am driver lineups because otherwise it would pretty much be an HMS/JGR slaughter. At least that way the Cup drivers will be split up and prospects will get some time in the spotlight.

Back when engines weren't as reliable, most races were considered endurance races, especially the 500-mile races. We rarely see an engine failure in today's races, which is one reason I'm for shorter races.

Every year that I watch that Rolex 24 race it always gets me thinking that it would be a great event if NASCAR could do something similar. Not necessarily 24 hours. Maybe something like 12 hours? A race that starts in the morning and ends under the lights @ a track. Which brings up..... What track? What type of track? How could it work?

Endurance Race

I'd like to see it be team vs. team. HMS vs. RCR vs. SHR, etc..... The team of drivers vs. all the other teams of drivers. No points. Just the trophy and money. It's gotta be a road course. Put those lights up @ The Glen! :cool:

or

Race of Champions

Not sure if you are aware of how the race is run? Driver vs. driver on the same course. Head to head in an elimination type format until only one driver is left.

I think it would be cool to see either done. I think each would pull in the fans and peak interest in the sport.

Greatest idea ever. Have like a team battle...imagine it...SHR vs hendrick vs RCR

I would love to see them do it at Nuremberg or at Bathurst(sp sure I spelled it wrong).
But Watkins Glenn would be great as well for 24 hours.

Utilize only local cautions, no lucky dogs and allow cars that wreck or break to be tolled back via service routes for repairs.
One engine, transmission ,and rear end change allowed per car.

But it would be tough. It is ridiculously expensive to compete in a 500 miler, what would it cost to run 24 hours.

While I am dreaming air it on a revived Speedvision with Varsha and Hobbs, and with smoking hawt card carrying grid girls.

Additional thought if 30 plus cars were competing a bigger pool of drivers would be needed per team. Require the teams to consist of a Cup, Xfinity, CWT, and one free agent driver that is not currently affiliated with the three series. Just limit the free agents hours, and not allow them to start or finish. It would be a great developmental platform, and allow many new faces to get seat time and all the other bells and whistles in a front running cup car.

I see some people always want shorter races or less races and I'm like, just give me some more races and I'm happy, points, no points, it's a race to me and I'll enjoy it.

I don't think race length is the problem with most fans. I think 500 miles of follow the leader with hardly any passing to speak of on a bunch of tracks that all look alike is the problem.

I like to watch racing in general, but what I really love to watch is good racing.

Personally, I love the idea of a longer endurance race or two on the Cup schedule.

Last edited:
I miss brakes giving up at Martinsville. It had an endurance fill to it, and I enjoyed seeing who had both the discipline and the speed.

I miss brakes giving up at Martinsville. It had an endurance fill to it, and I enjoyed seeing who had both the discipline and the speed.

I miss the constant cameras on the brake rotors.....the drama...whose tire will blow due to the brake heat...now it seems they give it a passing glance

I think most drivers deserve some time with their families.

Sure they do and so make it drivers choice whether to race or not. The younger fellas have already raced this year in other series.

I would love to see them do it at Nuremberg or at Bathurst(sp sure I spelled it wrong).
But Watkins Glenn would be great as well for 24 hours.

Utilize only local cautions, no lucky dogs and allow cars that wreck or break to be tolled back via service routes for repairs.
One engine, transmission ,and rear end change allowed per car.

But it would be tough. It is ridiculously expensive to compete in a 500 miler, what would it cost to run 24 hours.

While I am dreaming air it on a revived Speedvision with Varsha and Hobbs, and with smoking hawt card carrying grid girls.

Additional thought if 30 plus cars were competing a bigger pool of drivers would be needed per team. Require the teams to consist of a Cup, Xfinity, CWT, and one free agent driver that is not currently affiliated with the three series. Just limit the free agents hours, and not allow them to start or finish. It would be a great developmental platform, and allow many new faces to get seat time and all the other bells and whistles in a front running cup car.
I'd add in brake changes too, even two and a half hours at Sonoma can cook them.

don't figure big ole heavy cup cars would last 12 hrs. ?
motor &/or suspension failure

rolex course for summer 400 at daytona would be neat tho.

I think most drivers deserve some time with their families.
If you wanna race forget about family time. You have to be insane about it, 24/7/366 even on the local level.

I miss the constant cameras on the brake rotors.....the drama...whose tire will blow due to the brake heat...now it seems they give it a passing glance
I think the foot cam is also underutilized at the short tracks and road courses, and that's not even my fetish.

I like the idea of a multi-class race. Sprint, Xfinity and Camping World on same track.I don't think it should be a 24 hour race. Maybe 12 hour race.

Back
Top Bottom