NASCAR fans

Whizzer

Gig'em
An article in this mornings News and Observer here in Raleigh has a story on who else but Kurt Busch.

It details the incidents leading up to the race Saturday night beginning with incidents that sparked some of the controversy.

What is true is Kurt has been a smart-ass, tearing through the field and aggravating other drivers, making caustic soundbites every time his mouth opened.
Sound familiar ?? Remind you of anyone ??

Seems when ever this happens, there are three approaches.
One, he is a jerk and you flat out don't like him and never will,
Two, he is a jerk but one heckuva driver.
Three, he's good, young and will outgrow his smart-mouth but not change his personality.

Some people over look his brassness, others find it offensive. Darrell still has fans and detractors for the same reasons. Earnhardt wasn't as much a smart-mouth as he was rude, direct and uncompromising.

Two comparisons, Jeff Gordon. Reviled or revered. His upbringing was to be groomed from the time he was five years old to act, speak and be a professional. Gordon is comfortable in crowds and doing interviews.

Earnhardt on the other hand never had the opportunity to learn these things until he was thrust into the spotlight, and even then he rejected them. Mostly because he was uncomfortable, not at ease and a person who guarded his privacy.

Fans reject Gordon/Earnhardt for acting in a manner which to them is normal.
Fans like Gordon / Earnhardt for the same reason.

And ironically, most people didn't want them to change a whole lot.

And here comes "Hurricane" Kurt Busch. Taking the series by storm. High winds blowing from his mouth, challenging everyone and anyone.
Fans hate him for his brashness. Fans love him for being the way he is. Others see good and figure he'll come around.

But sadly, in this mornings paper, Kurt has announced, he'll change. He said "you're going to see a less colorful Kurt in the media center and anytime that I have any type of situation on the race track, unless I know outright that I am wrong".
Darn but I used to dislike people like Kurt Busch, yet in this guy I can see the sincerity in his eyes and hear it in his voice. We need a Kurt Busch to flip the bird now and again and open his gunpowder mouth.
Just as we needed to see a Jeff Gordon show emotion at New Hampshire and a tough old Dale Earnhardt hug his son in front of the entire world.
I'll bet that made many a good ole boy flinch. And what we really need to do is understand the personalities, difficulties and pressure placed upon these teams.

Not strip them of thier personalities.

I don't want Kurt to change, I want to dislike him just like he is. Nascar needs a bad boy and now that smoke has dropped that ball Kurt needs to pick it up and run with it like he stole it.

I reckon it is human nature to have some desire to accepted and liked. And at this moment Kurt is likely feeling some lack in both areas from within the garage and from the fans. So ya have to wonder how well he can deal with being a, what was the term I read this morning, "pariah".

Anyways, I for one hope Kurt does get a serious case of the "good guys" right away. Over time he will likely mellow.

Ya see some of the drivers who have in recent years been required to chill a bit did not suffer from the same problem Kurt does. Tony and Kevin had a somewhat different problem. It was not rough driving, or unappreciated remarks that got them in trouble. It was an uncontrolled temper that led to their problems with the media and NASCAR. Kurt, to my knowledge, has no real temper control problem. He's just brash, brassy, outspoken, sarcastic, caustic, and drives like a man possessed. But for the most part when ya hear him, he really is under control.

Hopefully this new found commitment to sainthood will only last until the joy of competitive fever once again makes Kurt,,,,,,,,,,,well makes Kurt be Kurt.

And yes, fans are fickle, fickle, fickle and the almost overwhelming volume of media coverage available plays that fickleness to the nth degree.

Racing needs the diverse personalities. While I don't always agree with what these diverse personalities say and do, they do make it interesting to watch.

Right on, HS. The media will play this for all it's worth --- which to me is a plugged nickel. ;)

All I have to say is that I am glad that I am not pulling the #97 showcar this year.

I'd have to come in an out of town after midnight. :lol:

All that I can say is that I am like Jimmy Spencer I never forget :so it makes no difference to me if he changes or not. I am still not going to pull for Kurt Busch to win anything. I'm a meany and I know it ;)

Who's this Kurt Busch and Jimmy Spencer? Are they in open wheel or something?

I read a similar article in this mornings Birmingham News,Whiz:

"Busch:A villain in victory lane!"

Got to love the press.Helton should send Kurt a check right away for this little ratings booster.Because in the end this can only be a good thing.The 'vanilla' flavor of WC since the sad death of Dale left a void of sorts---and I will be up front,I did NOT like Dale.Much like Bowtie doesnt like Kurt.And with strange irony almost certainly for the same reasons!!!

And you use the word fickle in your post?Yep.Kind of funny that my liking Kurt has given me a new appreciation for just exactly how NEEDED Dale Sr. was.You hit the nail on the head this time Whizzer....damn the luck. ;)

Fickle.A lot of you dont like Kurt the same way I didnt care for Dale.I only hope the day will come when I personally can be 'mature' enough to just like the skill and the 'purity' of this sport.Just love the sport for what it is:Men strapped in machines in a battle of speed and control.

Of course I am not even close yet! :p Even though I admit a certain liking of Jeff Gordon and Junior from time to time.It takes all these characters to make a good novel I guess.

And dont let it go to your head because I have agreed with a record TWO of your last posts Whiz.

Just wait until I post my '5 years to the future' topic!That one should re- establish the status quo!Because no way are you going to agree with it......

Great post

that's why I come to these boards is to read post like this one.

Thanks great read

Nascar does need the "bad guy" in their line up it makes things interesting. I used to love to hate Dale Sr, but about a year before his death or so, i came to realize he was quite an amazing driver and yes i cried when he died. I didn't like him any less or more, but i respected him! In Kurts' case i don't like him, although i will admit he can drive the wheels off a car most of the time. He hasn't gained my respect yet, saturday night didn't do anything to make that situation better especially after he punted Sterling. Kurt does make things interesting and i hope he doesn't turn "good guy" then i might have to actually like him a little....lol :p

Back
Top Bottom