NASCAR fines McMurray for Bristol Altercation

T

TonyB

NASCAR.com

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- - NASCAR Tuesday announced it had fined Jamie McMurray $10,000 and placed him on probation until Aug. 31 for his actions following Sunday's Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

McMurray, driver of the No. 42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge for Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, was penalized for violating Section 12-4-A -- Actions detrimental to stock car racing -- of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series Rule Book when he made deliberate contact with the car of Matt Kenseth as the field returned to pit lane following the conclusion of the race.

After the race, McMurray said he was retaliating for contact Kenseth made to pass him for position on the race's final lap. McMurray, who was fifth at the time of the contact, ended up eighth.

I am not a big Kenseth fan. But looked like to me everyone was playing a little dirty Sunday. Useing the old chrome horn is almost the only way to pass at Bristol. Kenseth done what he had to do. McMurray moved people to get up to 5th. :rolleyes:

I'm not bashing Kenseth what-so-ever, but sometimes the dude just doesn't make sense. "Yeah, he hit me and I hardly lost a spot... so I hit him back and he lost 3 or 4. It sounds pretty fair to me."

One spot compared to 3 or 4 isn't fair...

Fair...from a Harvick fan... :rolleyes: I guess Saturday night was fair too.

But I digress.

Jamie chrome horned Matt with about 10 to go. Even the FOX dolts said, "Not yet Matt". Matt got him back on the NASCAR-approved last lap. Jamie didn't like getting hit back, so he showed his tail and they busted him for it. Pit road is no place for that crap, too many pedestrians.

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Mar 30 2004, 02:27 PM
Fair...from a Harvick fan... :rolleyes: I guess Saturday night was fair too.
What happened Saturday night?

Originally posted by slick-nick@Mar 30 2004, 11:49 AM
I'm not bashing Kenseth what-so-ever, but sometimes the dude just doesn't make sense. "Yeah, he hit me and I hardly lost a spot... so I hit him back and he lost 3 or 4. It sounds pretty fair to me."

The fair part was a quote from Kenseth. The harvick fan is actually disagreeing with Kenseth.

This post had nothing to do with Harvick, so read the post and don't come to conclusions based solely on a picture attached to a poster's message. This post is not meant to single anyone person out as there have been many post that are biased just because it is assumed that a certain driver is a poster's favorite driver.

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Mar 30 2004, 02:27 PM
Pit road is no place for that crap, too many pedestrians.
he didnt really turn him on pit road, it was more on the apron in the middle of 3 and 4. Since it was on the apron, i didnt really have a problem with him spinning him out. It wasn't like when tony spun out gordon on pit road 2 years ago or when robby did it to junior when there were people on pit road.

Originally posted by DirtyMo1381529@Mar 30 2004, 04:49 PM
he didnt really turn him on pit road, it was more on the apron in the middle of 3 and 4. Since it was on the apron, i didnt really have a problem with him spinning him out. It wasn't like when tony spun out gordon on pit road 2 years ago or when robby did it to junior when there were people on pit road.
Thats what I was thinking, too. I guess anywhere to the left of the yellow line is now the pit road... but watch for it again later on in the season. I'm sure it'll happen again, and it will be handled differently.

Maybe if he had been related to Jr. he wouldn't have been fined. :D

Originally posted by nascar20@Mar 30 2004, 07:18 PM
Maybe if he had been related to Jr. he wouldn't have been fined. :D
:lol: :lol: U got that right,Ryan Newman would be let off the hook also IMHO.NASCAR plays faves as far as I'm concerned.U see one driver commit a certain offense and They're fined with perhaps points taken away,but another driver(one of NASCAR's chosenones)does the same thing and isn't fined or amonished in any way? ;) :p

Sorry ,for a change for me, but I think the fine was deserved....not the probation.

Bristol is Bristol. I knew there would be some penalty for McMurrays actions to Kenseth. I'm still gonna Back McMurray :D He lost his Temper just like anyone else.

Jamie's a good guy. It was just Bristol. It's not like J-Mac or Kenseth either one make a habit of wrecking the competition. They will both be fine.

Originally posted by 24thunder+Mar 31 2004, 12:43 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (24thunder @ Mar 31 2004, 12:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nascar20@Mar 30 2004, 07:18 PM
Maybe if he had been related to Jr. he wouldn't have been fined.&nbsp; :D
:lol: :lol: U got that right,Ryan Newman would be let off the hook also IMHO.NASCAR plays faves as far as I'm concerned.U see one driver commit a certain offense and They're fined with perhaps points taken away,but another driver(one of NASCAR's chosenones)does the same thing and isn't fined or amonished in any way? ;) :p [/b][/quote]

In the situation with McMurray and Kenseth, NASCAR did took the appropriate action with both the fine and probation. It is the same penalty asessed to other drivers for the same offense in recent years.

The charge has been made that NASCAR penalizes one driver or team while another will escape unscathed for the same offense.
Can someone can offer an example of a driver/team committing a similar offense and not penalized ???

Talking specifics and apples to apples here.

When Tony spun Jeff G. on pit road at Bristol he lost 100 points and put on probation for the rest of the year.

Originally posted by Eagle1@Mar 31 2004, 02:42 PM
When Tony spun Jeff G. on pit road at Bristol he lost 100 points and put on probation for the rest of the year.
Wasn't Tony already on probation for other infractions at the time of this incident ???

Didn't Jeff Gordon spin Robby Gordon on pit road in a similar fashion? Maybe New Hampshire? Not sure....but it seems like he did. Anyone remember?

Heck...maybe I am mistaken as I can't find any info on it..

Originally posted by 24thunder+Mar 31 2004, 12:43 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (24thunder @ Mar 31 2004, 12:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nascar20@Mar 30 2004, 07:18 PM
Maybe if he had been related to Jr. he wouldn't have been fined.&nbsp; :D
:lol: :lol: U got that right,Ryan Newman would be let off the hook also IMHO.NASCAR plays faves as far as I'm concerned.U see one driver commit a certain offense and They're fined with perhaps points taken away,but another driver(one of NASCAR's chosenones)does the same thing and isn't fined or amonished in any way? ;) :p [/b][/quote]
i can't believe i am hearing this from a gordon fan, what about all the favors nastycar has done for the 24 in the past B)

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 31 2004, 09:41 AM
Didn't Jeff Gordon spin Robby Gordon on pit road in a similar fashion? Maybe New Hampshire? Not sure....but it seems like he did. Anyone remember?

It was New Hampshire, but it was actually still out on the track. The race was over however.

Originally posted by slick-nick@Mar 30 2004, 11:49 AM

Of course this wasn't Kenseth's quote either.

Here is Matt's quote...

"He didn't wreck me -- he just knocked me out of the groove and I did the same thing to him," Kenseth said. "They say nice guys finish last, I guess. I try to be nice and sometimes you feel you're on the receiving end too much. "It's no big deal. He didn't wreck. I didn't wreck, except for when he wrecked me on pit road. That wasn't necessary."

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/...fine/index.html

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Mar 31 2004, 12:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Mar 31 2004, 12:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--97forever@Mar 31 2004, 09:41 AM

It was New Hampshire, but it was actually still out on the track. The race was over however. [/b][/quote]
I dont think he spun him. After robby pushed jeff up the track in trun 4 to win the race. Jeff did about what Jamie did but jeff rear ended robby and the rear end of robbys car went over jeffs hood. But Robby still got the win!!!! :cheers: :bounce: :lol: :p

It was the #31 Lowes car,

Originally posted by Lap3Forever+Mar 31 2004, 01:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lap3Forever @ Mar 31 2004, 01:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Mar 31 2004, 12:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--97forever
@Mar 31 2004, 09:41 AM

It was New Hampshire, but it was actually still out on the track. The race was over however.
I dont think he spun him. After robby pushed jeff up the track in trun 4 to win the race. Jeff did about what Jamie did but jeff rear ended robby and the rear end of robbys car went over jeffs hood. But Robby still got the win!!!! :cheers: :bounce: :lol: :p

It was the #31 Lowes car, [/b][/quote]
Yes, that was a great day. :lol: :lol: :cheers:

Originally posted by slick-nick+Mar 30 2004, 03:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slick-nick @ Mar 30 2004, 03:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DirtyMo1381529@Mar 30 2004, 04:49 PM
he didnt really turn him on pit road, it was more on the apron in the middle of 3 and 4.&nbsp; Since it was on the apron, i didnt really have a problem with him spinning him out.&nbsp; It wasn't like when tony spun out&nbsp; gordon on pit road 2 years ago or when robby did it to junior when there were people on pit road.
Thats what I was thinking, too. I guess anywhere to the left of the yellow line is now the pit road... but watch for it again later on in the season. I'm sure it'll happen again, and it will be handled differently. [/b][/quote]
Mcmurray spun him out in the corners of 3 and 4; bristol is a small track so the corner is smaller. Kenseth came to a rest just outside the pitlane commit cones. With that being said it was technically not on pit road, but it still doesn't make it any better. Did everyone see the long line of cars that had to stop because of Kenseth. What is someone is not paying close enough attention. There could be a lot of wrecked cars for no good reason.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Mar 31 2004, 12:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Mar 31 2004, 12:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Lap3Forever@Mar 31 2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Mar 31 2004, 12:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--97forever
@Mar 31 2004, 09:41 AM

It was the #31 Lowes car,
Yes, that was a great day. :lol: :lol: :cheers: [/b][/quote]
:cheers: yes it was, yes it was :lol:

The only thing that bothered me is that McFlurry acted like he was the victim in all this.

"I think he's upset that I got into him and got him out of the way. But with 10 laps to go at Bristol, that's what it is," McMurray said. "This place is famous for the bump and run."

Really Jamie? Then why were you upset when Matt did the same thing to you?

Originally posted by 17_Fan@Mar 31 2004, 12:39 PM
The only thing that bothered me is that McFlurry acted like he was the victim in all this.

"I think he's upset that I got into him and got him out of the way. But with 10 laps to go at Bristol, that's what it is," McMurray said. "This place is famous for the bump and run."

well said 17 fan! :cheers: :D

Originally posted by 17_Fan@Mar 31 2004, 01:39 PM

Goodness let it go already. The way I see it and yes I'm a Mcmurray fan! Is that Jamie was in the wrong for what he did on Pit road and yes McMurray had done to him what he did to Kenseth. But looking back I wish that McMurray would have Punted Mr. Goody 2 shoes just as hard as Kenseth Punted Him.

Originally posted by Jmac42VaFan+Mar 31 2004, 12:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jmac42VaFan @ Mar 31 2004, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--17_Fan@Mar 31 2004, 01:39 PM

Really Jamie?  Then why were you upset when Matt did the same thing to you?
Goodness let it go already. The way I see it and yes I'm a Mcmurray fan! Is that Jamie was in the wrong for what he did on Pit road and yes McMurray had done to him what he did to Kenseth. But looking back I wish that McMurray would have Punted Mr. Goody 2 shoes just as hard as Kenseth Punted Him. [/b][/quote]
:wacko: :cuckoo:

Excuse me for voicing my opinion. This was the first time I got a chance to comment on it.

I used to like McFlurry too. He must have had one hell of an attitude adjustment since he joined Ganassi.

Originally posted by 17_Fan@Mar 31 2004, 02:01 PM
Excuse me for voicing my opinion. This was the first time I got a chance to comment on it.

I used to like McFlurry too. He must have had one hell of an attitude adjustment since he joined Ganassi.
Thats what the forums are for, Voiceing one's opinon :) I still respect Kenseth, but he's coming out too clean in this.

Originally posted by Jmac42VaFan+Mar 31 2004, 01:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jmac42VaFan @ Mar 31 2004, 01:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--17_Fan@Mar 31 2004, 02:01 PM
Excuse me for voicing my opinion.&nbsp; This was the first time I got a chance to comment on it.&nbsp;

I used to like McFlurry too.&nbsp; He must have had one hell of an attitude adjustment since he joined Ganassi.
Thats what the forums are for, Voiceing one's opinon :) I still respect Kenseth, but he's coming out too clean in this. [/b][/quote]
I don't know...I think Nascar would have still called both of them to the trailer, like they did, but that would have been the end of it if McFlurry hadn't spun Matt around on pit road.

Back
Top Bottom