NASCAR redefined the rules. Now I have to redesign my game.

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Johali brought up to me the other day that I probably need to start thinking about a way to redesign my Race to the Chase game for the seasons end. The old game went to hell with Brians new Elimination format. I've decided that I'll have to follow suit and use NASCAR's all new Chase Grid to create some Chase compitition among our racing-forum.com members. I'm trying to make this as simple as possible so that it is easy for me to keep track of. Here's my idea so far. I'm open to suggestions but let's keep it simple.

Once the Chase field has been set at the conclusion of Richmond, each forum memebr that would like to participate will have to fill out their complete bracket. I'll make a bracket available in the 2014 Race to the Chase thread that will list the 16 eligible drivers.

Each participating forum member will have to post their 12 drivers moving on to round #2, 8 drivers moving on to round #3, 4 drivers moving on to round #4, and finally their final pick to win it all. The deadline to do this will be just prior to the first Chase race.

A correct pick will be rewarded with points. Round #1 correct picks will receive 1 point each. Round #2 correct picks will receive 3 points each. Round #4 correct picks will receive 5 points each. Finally, picking the Chase Champion will earn you 10 points. The racing-forum.com member with the most points after the checkered flag @ Homestead will be the 2014 racing-forum.com Champion.

Round #1 max possible points = 12
Round #2 max possible points = 24
Round #3 max possible points = 20
Round #4 max possible points = 10

There are several ways in which a bracket could be scored. I didn't want to give the final round too much weight because I felt that rewarding the player with more correct picks should be important too. I'm still running numbers to see how different scenario's play out.

I'm also thinking about working in bonus points throughout the 10 week game for players picking the winner for each given week.

Unlike Brian, I don't want to see this come down to a winner take all just taking into account the final race. I want the whole Race to the Chase game to count towards our Champion.

If you see things wrong with my idea for this fall's Chase game let me know. If you're good with what I've laid out let me know. Most of all, just let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Looks really good to me. I like it.

Johali brought up to me the other day that I probably need to start thinking about a way to redesign my Race to the Chase game for the seasons end. The old game went to hell with Brians new Elimination format. I've decided that I'll have to follow suit and use NASCAR's all new Chase Grid to create some Chase compitition among our racing-forum.com members. I'm trying to make this as simple as possible so that it is easy for me to keep track of. Here's my idea so far. I'm open to suggestions but let's keep it simple.

Once the Chase field has been set at the conclusion of Richmond, each forum memebr that would like to participate will have to fill out their complete bracket. I'll make a bracket available in the 2014 Race to the Chase thread that will list the 16 eligible drivers.

Each participating forum member will have to post their 12 drivers moving on to round #2, 8 drivers moving on to round #3, 4 drivers moving on to round #4, and finally their final pick to win it all. The deadline to do this will be just prior to the first Chase race.

A correct pick will be rewarded with points. Round #1 correct picks will receive 1 point each. Round #2 correct picks will receive 3 points each. Round #4 correct picks will receive 5 points each. Finally, picking the Chase Champion will earn you 10 points. The racing-forum.com member with the most points after the checkered flag @ Homestead will be the 2014 racing-forum.com Champion.

Round #1 max possible points = 12
Round #2 max possible points = 24
Round #3 max possible points = 20
Round #4 max possible points = 10

There are several ways in which a bracket could be scored. I didn't want to give the final round too much weight because I felt that rewarding the player with more correct picks should be important too. I'm still running numbers to see how different scenario's play out.

I'm also thinking about working in bonus points throughout the 10 week game for players picking the winner for each given week.

Unlike Brian, I don't want to see this come down to a winner take all just taking into account the final race. I want the whole Race to the Chase game to count towards our Champion.

If you see things wrong with my idea for this fall's Chase game let me know. If you're good with what I've laid out let me know. Most of all, just let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
Here ya go slice.

Just double checking I read it right...

I think either way would be good.. this is a complete revamp. I'd like to see it stay the same kind of thing with picking the best and worst finishers but I think with the field being reduced every 3 weeks that would make for a lot of ties coming to the end... or would it just make for a really close finish? Hmmmmm... I'll play either way.

Looks good to me.

Thanks for doing it.

Dp, that's a cool idea that seems like it will work well the way you outlined it.

The only question is- do we get a trophy?
I think we should get a trophy for this and the yahoo group.

If i were to luck up and win, I'd love to have a racing forums trophy sitting on my mantle!

:D

I wanted to revisit this thread as we're getting closer to the Chase. Would everyone be in for the NEW format or do you prefer the OLD format? I'm open for either. I need some feedback so I've got a good idea which direction to go.

I've outlined the proposed change in the first post in this thread for the NEW version.

For those not familiar with the OLD version, a description can be found here.

Please reply with your preference of 'NEW' or 'OLD' in your response. Last year we had about 40 players. Let's see if we can beat that number. Thanks.

I'm choosing OLD only because of it's simplicity.

I say old. Don't do the eliminations. when the 16 are set you use all 16 through the chase

I prefer the OLD format primarily because it's more interactive in that picks need to be made each week as opposed to a one-time "set it and forget it."

But unlike Rockears, I think that drivers that have been eliminated from championship contention after a given round should no longer be eligible to earn points in the game.

I vote OLD, with driver eliminations.

Mr. France sure tossed you a curveball after you posted those original 12 Chase drivers. LOL.

I'd be happy with either but prefer the old format.

I like it.

Only suggestion: maybe go 5, 10, 25, 50 on the points? That way, round 1 max would be 60, round 2 maxes at 80, and 3 would max at 100. Then 50 points for correctly picking the champ.

Just a suggestion.

I like it.

Only suggestion: maybe go 5, 10, 25, 50 on the points? That way, round 1 max would be 60, round 2 maxes at 80, and 3 would max at 100. Then 50 points for correctly picking the champ.

Just a suggestion.
Or I guess 1,2,5,10 would accomplish the same thing.

do both . ??
old ....gives weekly winner . fantasy champ.
new.....whole chase... 16 bracket........updated weekly. reality champ.

As this 2012 champion I want to encourage the less accomplished posters to keep on trying, who knows this might be a year in which your dreams come true.

I do think there needs to be little more respect given to the select few of us elite posters that have won this contest.

Aside from the sisters and mommas of most posters here wanting to be a groupie for the 2012 champion, I just have not seen enough praise for the accomplishment. I guess some are just still bitter over their loss to me (even though I never once called them a loser, and I never will. Please refer to my classy hallmark like kind humble, and amiable expression of well wishes in paragraph one).

As this 2012 champion I want to encourage the less accomplished posters to keep on trying, who knows this might be a year in which your dreams come true.

I do think there needs to be little more respect given to the select few of us elite posters that have won this contest.

Aside from the sisters and mommas of most posters here wanting to be a groupie for the 2012 champion, I just have not seen enough praise for the accomplishment. I guess some are just still bitter over their loss to me (even though I never once called them a loser, and I never will. Please refer to my classy hallmark like kind humble, and amiable expression of well wishes in paragraph one).

Wasn't 2012 the year when DPK changed the format and everyone had to let their dog make the picks?

Greg said:
As this 2012 champion I want to encourage the less accomplished posters to keep on trying, who knows this might be a year in which your dreams come true. I do think there needs to be little more respect given to the select few of us elite posters that have won this contest. Aside from the sisters and mommas of most posters here wanting to be a groupie for the 2012 champion, I just have not seen enough praise for the accomplishment. I guess some are just still bitter over their loss to me (even though I never once called them a loser, and I never will. Please refer to my classy hallmark like kind humble, and amiable expression of well wishes in paragraph one).

As the 2013 Champ I have to agree here. Although Greg may be bitter he lost to me last year. Reigning champ just givin his 2 sense

Yep. And he was the only one with access to his neighbors talking dogs.

But most folks are not gifted dog translators either so it still would not have helped them. There are are also other factors like di-'elects and character issues to acess prior to entertaining a bark.

Last edited:
As the 2013 Champ I have to agree here. Although Greg may be bitter he lost to me last year. Reigning champ just givin his 2 sense

As one of the elite gifted accomplished chosen few I agree, thou most worthy defending champion.

Just between us I think there should be a historical championship thread that relives how we put the hurting on the less gifted competitors during our rigthous reigns. They could celebrate our genious-ness, and we could share an inspiring story or two for the little folks.
Perhaps they would take a few notes and who knows perhaps one of those blind squirrels might even find a 2014 nut.

Spike's game winner should have a higher honor than DP's...

It's the whole season and you only pick one driver :nyanya:

Both are equally fun

Spike's game winner should have a higher honor than DP's...

It's the whole season and you only pick one driver :nyanya:

Both are equally fun

There are many things that an elite accomplished champion understands. One of those is not to disrespects the champions from a rival alliance. Even when combined there are so few of us, and an abundance of groupies.

Greg said:
There are many things that an elite accomplished champion understands. One of those is not to disrespects the champions from a rival alliance. Even when combined there are so few of us, and an abundance of groupies.

Ditto. We all are around equal rank. If the lower teirs of competitors dare upset our balance, chaos would break.

Ditto. We all are around equal rank. If the lower teirs of competitors dare upset our balance, chaos would break.
Well get ya chaos gloves on sparky cause I'm gonna smoke yall's ass this year. :cool:

A lot of talk but who can walk the walk? I'm loving this false sense of superiority that y'all seem to have. You're all going to get stiff necks looking up at me at the top of the leaderboard this fall. Enjoy your anticipated accomplishments now before you bubble gets burst come Chase time. :moon:

Back
Top Bottom