NASCAR takes control of caution lights

W

WideOpenPhoto

NASCAR president Mike Helton said Friday the sanctioning body has taken control of the switches for the caution lights away from the flagstand. The switches will only be located in the control tower during races for all of NASCAR's three major divisions. The decision comes after a mistake in the Infineon 200 Craftsman Truck Series race at Lowe's Motor Speedway last month where the caution lights came on and leader Carl Edwards slowed. The lights, allegedly turned on by the backup flagman, were quickly turned off, and there was no caution. Edwards ended up losing the race, and NASCAR later admitted it was wrong. The flagstand will no longer be able to turn on the caution lights but can still wave the caution flag.(NASCAR.com)

Kind of reminds of the movie Airplane, when the guy unplugs the runway lights...OOOPPPPSSS!

Yea Carl Edwards got screwed. i guess the back-up flagman was bored so he started playing with buttons lol

Carl DID get screwed!

I really wish Nascar would mandate incar lights like open wheelers have!!!!

Them in dash lights seem to work well in ARCA, I think they're a great idea too.

Originally posted by kat2220@Jun 4 2004, 10:59 PM
I really wish Nascar would mandate incar lights like open wheelers have!!!!
Agree :cheers:

I can see the light in the cars coming soon. I really don't think it'll be much of an added expense since the cars already have transponders in them for timing purposes.....just a matter of having that trigger a light in the cars when whoever it is pushes the button. But as for why it is not in place now, I'd like to remind everyone that the "no racing back to the flag" rule is only in it's first full season. NASCAR is still trying to iron out the bugs in the rule and refine it to a point that all the confusion is gone. The light in the cars is probably a little lower on the priority list right now..........I see it in place maybe next season.

Except they aren't sure about the encryption! They think someone could hack the signal and prematurely turn on the in-car caution lights causing a big mess. Supposedly they are testing to see if they can get around this perceived problem.

Back
Top Bottom