Nascar Tradition

B

BobbyRhino

All i have to say is that nascar should stick with the traditions that made it what it is today. Greed is killing the sport and what it once was for me.

Attachments

• ak1.jpg
    ak1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 132
Originally posted by BobbyRhino@Jan 11 2004, 05:28 AM
All i have to say is that nascar should stick with the traditions that made it what it is today.  Greed is killing the sport and what it once was for me.
What traditions are being discussed here that NASCAR has done away with ??
And who is greedy ?? If the implication is NASCAR, that would be a false accusation.
"Greed" entered the picture when teams became sophisticated with the fancy tractor-trailer rigs, uniforms for pit crews became common place and the fans, yes, the fans, began screaming they felt thier drivers were not getting enough prize money.

The tracks had to raise ticket prices to compensate. The drivers renegotiated the contracts and team owners developed "performance" contracts with sponsors, some of those contracts having non-payment clauses in the event the team failed to qualify.

Along with these changes, the general public became more aware of NASCAR due to the increase in sponsorship and with more media awareness, popularity began to surge.
The championship became more important and the championship monies went from $100,000 to the multi-millions paid out today.

NASCAR made changes to keep up with the times, growth and rising popularity of the sport, all of which were preceeded by a marked increase in national and international sponsorships. When the sponsors paid millions for the right to place thier name on the side of a car, they had to justify that cost to the stock holders, who in turn used advertising as the medium, which made a greater public awareness and thus, popularity growth.

The fact the France Family has the sole ownership of NASCAR is because they came up with the idea and they put thier ass on the line when the chips were down, Bill France, Sr. was on the verge of bankruptcy, and for a time, no one, absolutely no one, would help, aid or assist a man and his dream.

Bill France, Sr., made this all happen. The popularity made it grow and the current leadership is dealing with the changes they feel must be made in order to remain on top of the heap.

I personally do not like some of the changes that affect the racing. The restrictor plates for one, but also realize the safety factors far outweigh the displeasure I feel at seeing cars choked for power and running in such a tight pack.

As for the "greed', when it comes to NASCAR making money, it is the American way. The only difference, NASCAR is owned by one family, just as the M&M / MARS candy company is owned by one family. Does anyone accuse the MARS family of greed ??? They are entitled to make a profit. They do not control the ticket prices at the track nor do they control the prices charged for beer, hot dogs, souvenirs or parking.

When someone says NASCAR is "greedy" or NASCAR is changing traditions, my thought is, please be a bit more specific and tender details and examples as to what traditions and what changes they feel so strongly about.

NASCAR has been good for the sport. But then again, NASCAR IS the sport. There have been changes made that many do not care for and NASCAR is deserving of a swift kick in the pants for being tardy in developing safety measures, taking sides and being partial with personalities and some on-track issues. They are or have corrected these indiscretions and showing they do not play with the sport as they did in the past making the field more level for the competitors.

NASCAR has made changes, inproved thier own standards and they are still the best show in town.

Yes Nascar has to keep up with the times. That is why Toyota in comming into the CTS. They will be in cup in a year or two. Millions of Americans drive Toyatas & Neissans (sp) today. Since Nascar is spreading out from it Southern roots. They will have to spread out from the Fords, Chevys and Dodges. We may not like change but it comes. So we may as well get use to it. :lol:

Great post Whiz...I don't always agree with a lot of Nascar's changes, but I can't agrue with sucess.

I'm not in favor of the playoff format, but after reading what Jim Hunter said about it, I can see it working out. Only thing that will throw a wrench in it, and would probably force Nascar to change back to the old system in 2005, would be if Dale Jr. isn't one of the drivers competing for the Nextel Cup. They stated that late season ticket sales slump because of football season starting or like this year, a championship that looked to be wrapped up in early September. Just think how ticket sales will be affected if Jr. isn't in the hunt at the end?

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/...2004/index.html

Whiz, I also liked your comparison to the M&M Mars family. The company I work for is still owned by the founder so we don't have to worry about pleasing stock holders all the time. The founder started the company in his barn and now had three production plants in Wisconsin & one in Iowa. He used to have four in Wisconsin, but sold one plant to pay off debts on the plant I work at. Smart move, since our plant makes consumer product and he was generating a lot of profit before Y2K. Now, our sales are that strong again that we have been supporting the other three plants & helping to pay off debt in the plant in Iowa. We never acuse the owner of being greedy, we just want & wish he would share more of the wealth! :lol:

Great post Whizzer, right on point, good job of pointing out the big picture

Another thought: Have you guys seen the number of Camrys on the road? I'm not positive but I think it's the best selling car in it's class, if not it's up there. Anyway, my point is that Nascar is trying to get a bigger audience than it already has. Alot of folks drive Toyota's and I'm sure they will root for drivers that drive what they do. I own a Taurus and tend to root for the Fords.

Nascar is run like a business and from a fans standpoint its not necessarily a bad thing. How do you think the sport got where it is today? It took money to make the advancements. It took an audience for TV to spend the money so you can watch a better race with better replays, camera angles, etc. on Sundays. Also if the money wasn't there the advancements to the cars wouldn't be there, you would see the same guys winning every week. Remember the days of Petty, Allison, Yarborough, etc. Those guys won a heckuva lot of races, the other teams couldn't compete. The advancements to the cars somewhat level the field. Bottom line, if the money wasn't there the sponsors, networks and fan base wouldn't be there either. The car manufacturers wouldn't pour the money in it they do either. Tradition is what you make of it, success is what built the sport.

All that being said, I'm not very fond of Toyota in Nascar, but I understand why they are letting them in, makes good business sense

Hawk

Back
Top Bottom