Nascar's explanation about the bent out side skirts

Yeah I duno about that... I get it... but dont think that should be legal and highly doubt its an accident by the jackman lol

wonder why the same jackman doesn't bend the other side out with the jack?
Hmmm.... yeah those things can get tricky.. they're only like a foot or two away from that part of the car with a tire guy in between them :rolleyes: maybe the gas man kicks it back in on the left side? :D

I really didnt even notice that during the race... I recall them talking about it a couple weeks back.. seems like a fine line for NASCAR and the teams... could get interesting.

there was a bunch of them with it bent out, the vid called out Joey, but I saw at least 5 or 6 cars that way. I can't believe Nascar is letting it go on.
w640xh480_20141006_-_joey_logano_flare.jpg

wonder why the same jackman doesn't bend the other side out with the jack?
These cars are still 'crabbing' down the straightaways. The drivers side flared out wouldn't be any aero advantage. They were talking about this a while back on SiriusXM's afternoon show with one of the crew chiefs.

Bob Pockrass @bobpockrass Follow
According to NASCAR no rules are being broken with the corners of side skirts. All legal. They will continue to monitor what teams are doing.o_O

Monitor what they are doing? The first pit stop is going to be a contest of who can make the prettiest bend.

These cars are still 'crabbing' down the straightaways. The drivers side flared out wouldn't be any aero advantage. They were talking about this a while back on SiriusXM's afternoon show with one of the crew chiefs.

Sorry I should have hit the sarcastic button I guess.

I cant see how it wouldnt help... the cars can be more free and able to turn the corner without having to worry as much about the car coming around on them with that part adding some side force to the car. Not much but I assume it has to help a bit, dont see how it wouldn't.. even with the cars dog legging.

Yeah , I doubt that Joey intentionally cheated , but Bowyer and Johnson ?? Oh Yeah.:booya:

I cant see how it wouldnt help... the cars can be more free and able to turn the corner without having to worry as much about the car coming around on them with that part adding some side force to the car. Not much but I assume it has to help a bit, dont see how it wouldn't.. even with the cars dog legging.
stick your hand out the window at 60 MPH today..they are going over three time that speed

Well, if a crew chief says it isn't an advantage, it isn't an advantage. :sarcasm:

I agree. Teams fight for 20 extra lbs of down force, and I bet they get more than that from 1/2 a square foot of metal hanging in the wind.

I don't like the tire spear effect. nascar should put an end to it.

Yeah , I doubt that Joey intentionally cheated , but Bowyer and Johnson ?? Oh Yeah.:booya:
Well... maybe they should have... but I dont think its cheating..

Bob Pockrass @bobpockrass Follow
According to NASCAR no rules are being broken with the corners of side skirts. All legal. They will continue to monitor what teams are doing.o_O

Better than a modifed U-Bolt I suppose :D

Doesn't bother me whatsoever... if everyone can do it... no problem. Just glad my guy got to take advantage first :)

It was explained that it is because the air is not hitting the left side of the car the same as it is on the right with the car running @ the angle that it tracks. I'm sure all of the aero engineers on this forum can explain it better than the Cup crew chiefs can so I'll leave that to them. I was simply relaying what I had a chance to hear on this subject.

It was explained that it is because the air is not hitting the left side of the car the same as it is on the right with the car running @ the angle that it tracks. I'm sure all of the aero engineers on this forum can explain it better than the Cup crew chiefs can so I'll leave that to them. I was simply relaying what I had a chance to hear on this subject.
I get that.... not saying you or anyone is wrong.. I just think theres more to it.

Not sure u get that Im agreeing with u lol.... I said can't see how it wouldN'T help.....
you also said not much of an advantage, that is why I said stick your hand out the car window at 60 mph, and remember they are going over three times that fast. It is a huge improvement in opposing side and down force.

If you don't think what they are doing is for an advantage I don't know what to tell you. I was at the Vegas race watching the cars in the garage. The crews were very carefully cutting and trimming on those skirts. They were working very carefully on them. Now it looks like monkey see monkey do. One team did it and got away with it. Now the rest of the teams are like hey we know that would work so let's do it too. Dale jrs road manager got fired over it. Remember when he tweeted about a team cheating up something. I expect nascar to kybosh it pretty soon

They wouldn't be doing it if it didn't have some kind of an advantage. NASCAR is usually pretty picky when it comes to the sheet metal on the car. I expect they will address it at some point (probably when cut tires become a problem).

Jr's exhaust pipes took out Gordon's tire at Bristol last year. There's no doubt this blade sticking off the car can do the same damage. As anal as NASCAR is, I'm totally surprised they arent up in arms about it.

Also, I wonder if this was the difference in Larson not being able to catch Logano or not (as long as Larson's skirt was still flat)? They seemed pretty even. Does it even make a difference?

Jr's exhaust pipes took out Gordon's tire at Bristol last year. There's no doubt this blade sticking off the car can do the same damage. As anal as NASCAR is, I'm totally surprised they arent up in arms about it.

Also, I wonder if this was the difference in Larson not being able to catch Logano or not (as long as Larson's skirt was still flat)? They seemed pretty even. Does it even make a difference?

At the speeds they are running it has to make some difference but aero is much to complex for me :idunno:
Ask some of your college buddies and see what they think

At the speeds they are running it has to make some difference but aero is much to complex for me :idunno:
Ask some of your college buddies and see what they think
I'm buds with one engineer and he's chemical. No help from them :p

Gotta go to the engineering professor's list to find someone to email. I might just do that.... :growl:

Maybe, if NASCAR was racing at real racetracks and not open wheel brobdingnagians, NASCAR teams wouldn't have to look for ways to find an aerodynamic advantage. And maybe then, we'd get some real racing where drivers can race side-by-side, not have to be 80 feet away from another car, and can get back to the days of trading paint and stuff.

Maybe, if NASCAR was racing at real racetracks and not open wheel brobdingnagians, NASCAR teams wouldn't have to look for ways to find an aerodynamic advantage. And maybe then, we'd get some real racing where drivers can race side-by-side, not have to be 80 feet away from another car, and can get back to the days of trading paint and stuff.

Thats quite a word there Andy :eek:

stick your hand out the window at 60 MPH today..they are going over three time that speed

That's because you are doing it wrong. It ain't natural to stick your hand out to feel the wind.
Simply stick out the middle index finger the way God meant for you to, with the four digits closed into a fist, it is perfectly aero that way the way nature intended.

Drivers can't even reach out of the windows at 180 MPH, and even if they could they are better served holding the steering wheel with both hands.
I ain't ever heard tell of any driver talking in victory Lane "Well man you could hold your hand straight as an arrow at 180 MPH in that thang...

This post reminds me of a line in an old move "Slap Shot"
"Lets Play Old Time Hockey"

upload_2014-10-9_21-58-33.jpeg

Here's how it is done.

Ct6gNZV.gif

Wow, red handed.

I'm not understanding how this is deemed legal. Would this pass inspection before the race? If not, why then why would it pass afterwards. If it is legal then why don't the teams just flare it out before the race even starts?

Is this like the spoiler angle maybe? If that angle gets "altered" during the course of the race, then it's fair game? I'm not even sure if that's still the rule

Back
Top Bottom