Nextel Notes

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
NEXTEL CUP NOTES

Richmond Times-Dispatch Apr 17, 2004

TELLING LIES: As the most visible star in the Nextel Cup Series, Dale Earnhardt Jr. is no stranger to the shortcomings of fame, but a tabloid story this week has caused him to rethink how he spends his free time.

"You put yourself in a vulnerable situation to get taken advantage of," NASCAR's reigning most popular driver said after qualifying fourth yesterday for the Advance Auto Parts 500. "I just won't put myself in that environment that way, and nobody can make things up."

The 29-year-old was referring to a National Enquirer story headlined "Dale Earnhardt Jr. punched out during booze-soaked weekend" that made the rounds in the garage at Martinsville Speedway yesterday. The report detailed a wild weekend getaway in Panama City, Fla., involving Earnhardt, Tony Stewart, Jamie McMurray and Elliott Sadler. Citing several anonymous witnesses, the story made several sensational claims, including naked hot-tub parties with at least a dozen women.

Earnhardt admitted he, Sadler and McMurray made the trip after the March27 race at Bristol but vehemently denied the rest of the story.

"Everything is false," Earnhardt said. "Tony Stewart wasn't even there. I didn't go to Texas with a big bruise on my face. All of it was crap. It's unfortunate, but that's what the Enquirer does, and that's their business. My mom said, 'Look at all the actors on the cover of that magazine every week, and imagine how they feel.' At least I don't have to deal with that. It's unfortunate because we like to have a good time and hang out. We'll take our opportunities at vacations somewhere else."

SHAKING IT OFF: Showing no ill effects of his car accident Monday morning on Route 29 in North Carolina just south of Danville, Ward Burton qualified a season-best sixth for tomorrow's Advance Auto Parts 500. Burton totaled a Chevrolet Suburban with only 370 miles on it when he dozed off while driving to his race shop after dropping his son off at school. The vehicle rolled several times and landed in a ravine.

"If I was using my head, should have stopped and grabbed a cup of coffee or run around the car, I'd have been fine," said the South Boston native, who suffered no injuries aside from some minor cuts. "I was lucky I didn't get seriously injured. I'm thankful I was in a big Suburban; that thing held up really well. The guy from the towing company said he'd never seen anything tore up like that."

STOCK CAR BALLET: Burton took in a performance of the "NASCAR Ballet" on Thursday at the Roanoke Ballet Theater. The dancers, who wore different colors, car numbers and sponsors, simulated a race with Burton helping out as an announcer "calling" the event.

"It was interesting and not boring to watch how they did that," he said. "I'll probably catch a little hell for doing something with the ballet, but it doesn't matter when you're doing stuff in the community."

GOING OFF TRACK: Tomorrow's race will be the last to feature a Martinsville Speedway institution. The railroad tracks that run parallel to the back straightaway will be removed next month, clearing the way for a possible grandstand expansion but removing the charmingly peculiar sight of trains chugging along while stock cars whizzed by below.

"I remember the first time I came here, I looked up and said, 'There's a train on the backstretch,'" Brendan Gaughan said. "This is a neat place; it's like old-time NASCAR, and I like it."

AROUND THE GARAGE: Three-time Craftsman Truck champion Jack Sprague captured his first pole position at Martinsville, earning the top qualifying spot for today's Kroger 250. . . . Joe Ruttman qualified 38th for tomorrow's Cup race. It's the first time in five starts the 60something driver won't need a provisional. Ruttman posted a faster lap yesterday than Michael Waltrip, who has needed provisionals in three of the past four races.

- Nate Ryan

I'm gonna miss seeing that train rumbling along the backstretch :(
Is there anything that wont be changed in this Series by year's end? ;)

Back
Top Bottom