Numbers that SHOULD be retired

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
So I know that NASCAR doesn't retire numbers like other sports do, dunno why, but they don't. However, if they did retire numbers, which one do you think would be retired?

My list would be: 3, 43, 24 (after the 2015 season) and after Jimmie Johnson retires 48.

I don't think any number should be retired. Because after a while, you're gonna run out of numbers. "hey, that guy was a legend." Yeah, and so was that one, and that other one, and that other one.

Stick and ball retires numbers but for a particular team only unless I miss my guess

Stick and ball retires numbers but for a particular team only unless I miss my guess
Yeah, 42 is retired league-wide in baseball for Jackie Robinson, but other than that the number retirements are up to the teams.

And no, I don't think NASCAR should retire numbers.

We should also retire 2 and 8 since Dale ran those and 1 since Jeff Gordon ran that and 92 since Jimmie ran that. While at it, we should retire 22 (Fireball Roberts), 42 (Lee Petty), 21 (Pearson), 11, 28 and 52 (Cale)... damn, we're running out of numbers.

I understand the sentiment with retiring numbers but that won't work in NASCAR and shouldn't, It wasn't the number that drove to victory it was the man. As far as I know the number three survived that fateful day in Daytona and we all sadly know the man didn't.

I am not sure if numbers should be retired or not. But I do know it bothers me a great deal seeing someone else in the 3....I just can't help it.

I am not sure if numbers should be retired or not. But I do know it bothers me a great deal seeing someone else in the 3....I just can't help it.
Seeing the 3 on the track means nothing to me and I was a die hard DE fan. Now if they tried to put his car on the track I would be pissed.
By that I mean the "goodwrench" car.

If the 3 and 43 can still be used on the track, so should the 24. Retiring numbers is dumb. Pay homage to the men who made those numbers legend. It's not like people forgot who Richard Petty was because Aric Almirola races the 43. My man Texas Terry has been done for 10 years and I still associate the 5 car with him rather than Kahne. Its part of the sport.

If have no problem with Chase Elliott driving the 24. That said, I would rather he write his own legacy, maybe with another number. Rather than being a constant comparison to Jeff his entire career.

If the 3 and 43 can still be used on the track, so should the 24. Retiring numbers is dumb. Pay homage to the men who made those numbers legend. It's not like people forgot who Richard Petty was because Aric Almirola races the 43. My man Texas Terry has been done for 10 years and I still associate the 5 car with him rather than Kahne. Its part of the sport.

If have no problem with Chase Elliott driving the 24. That said, I would rather he write his own legacy, maybe with another number. Rather than being a constant comparison to Jeff his entire career.

As mentioned in some other threads, I feel that Hendricks will do what they have to to have Chase run the 9 car
Football players sometimes pay 10s of thousands of dolalrs to buy their no if they are trade to a team that someone already has their no

I wouldn't retire numbers however I don't really want to see a legendary number for at least a season afterwards.

I want to see car numbers redesigned with a different font after a legendary driver retires.

Austin's #3 shouldn't look the exact same as Dale's #3. Aric's #43 shouldn't look the exact same as Petty's #43.

The numbers should belong to the owner of the cars. This deal of having to rent the number is stupid from NASCAR.

Understand. How will you feel if/when you see someone else in the 24?
*cough, cough .. CHASE ELLIOTT .. cough*
Sorry, had something stuck in my throat.

Seriously, and not as an attempt to hijack this, but what do y'all think about 3-digit numbers? I'm also opposed to retiring numbers, but I wouldn't object to longer ones.

Seriously, and not as an attempt to hijack this, but what do y'all think about 3-digit numbers? I'm also opposed to retiring numbers, but I wouldn't object to longer ones.

na, think it may be too hard to read from a distance..

I believe they already exist, if someone asks for one. I know they are used in Nascar's lower series.

No number should ever be retired. The number doesn't make the driver. Earnhardt would've been just as big a legend if he drove 03, 31, 13 etc......

I wouldn't retire numbers however I don't really want to see a legendary number for at least a season afterwards.
Kinda like what Richard Petty did. He shelved the 43 for one season after he retired then brought it back the next year. If it does end up being Chase Elliott replacing Gordon (which it looks like a 99.99% chance it will be), I don't think he'll have the 24 on the car. Either 25 or 94 would be my guess.

Kinda like what Richard Petty did. He shelved the 43 for one season after he retired then brought it back the next year. If it does end up being Chase Elliott replacing Gordon (which it looks like a 99.99% chance it will be), I don't think he'll have the 24 on the car. Either 25 or 94 would be my guess.
Hope your right.

^ this, in other sports it's easier to do because if a team retires said number another team can still use it. I could see HMS maybe retiring the 24 and never using it again, and no one else will probably wanna use it expect for maybe if his little girl grows up and race she might, but in a sport where you only have so many numbers to use. (00-09, and 0-99) that's 110 numbers, now think of the numbers that have been pretty legendary and it grows shorter and shorter, After awhile you got no numbers to use really.

I think you guys missed the point of the thread entirely.

Instead of coming down on poor OP like we usually do, we probably should have read the thread title more carefully.

Says numbers that should be retired. As an not all of them that any driver has.

If you think about it, there haven't been many "ones of a kind" driver coming through the sport. If you count them up they probably wouldn't even make it to 15 drivers total that have made an inmerse impact on the sport.

So I dont think its far fetch to have certain numbers retire because after all, there will always be one Dale Earnhardt, one Richard Petty, one Gordon etc..

Those cannot be replicated.

My two cents.

I think you guys missed the point of the thread entirely.

Instead of coming down on poor OP like we usually do, we probably should have read the thread title more carefully.

Says numbers that should be retired. As an not all of them that any driver has.

If you think about it, there haven't been many "ones of a kind" driver coming through the sport. If you count them up they probably wouldn't even make it to 15 drivers total that have made an inmerse impact on the sport.

So I dont think its far fetch to have certain numbers retire because after all, there will always be one Dale Earnhardt, one Richard Petty, one Gordon etc..

Those cannot be replicated.

My two cents.

Thank you. :beerbang:

Apparently there were alot of clues out in the open. We just missed it.

This is from the New Hampshire race back in 2001. Just finished watching it and saw it.
Untitled.jpg

As mentioned in some other threads, I feel that Hendricks will do what they have to to have Chase run the 9 car
Football players sometimes pay 10s of thousands of dolalrs to buy their no if they are trade to a team that someone already has their no
I agree that they might try but if it's not available, it's not available. They did the next best thing for Junior with the 88 since Teresa wouldn't let go of the 8.

And as far as numbers being retired, if they didn't retire the 3 or the 43, then I don't think they should retire any.

While I hated it when the 43 was on the track without Richard in it, I got used to it. Just like I'll get used to seeing the 3 and probably the 24 on the track. Normally I don't go with retiring a number, but I could see it maybe in the case of the #3 since he was a multichampion and died a race.

Back
Top Bottom