Phoenix Clinch Scenarios

SlicedBread22

#TeamJL
Below are the finishes each driver needs in Sunday's race at Phoenix International Raceway (3 p.m. ET on ESPN) to guarantee a spot in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship at Homestead-Miami Speedway, regardless of the finish of any other driver:

Joey Logano and Denny Hamlin: 11th or better; 12th and at least one lap led; 13th and most laps led

Ryan Newman: 9th or better; 10th and at least one lap led; 11th and most laps led

Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, Brad Keselowski and Kevin Harvick only control their own destiny by winning Sunday at Phoenix.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chase-clinch-scenarios-phoenix-203000611--nascar.html

Playing Mr. Nice Guy isn't going to get anyone through to Homestead this weekend so either the drivers bring it or become an after thought. No one driver is safe - I love it!

Yup... 2 races to go and it's still wide open pretty much.

Intense!... These guys better make sure they're on their game the next couple weeks

I think Joey, Denny, and Newman will get their finishes. Them and the race winner move on. That could be any of the remaining drivers... I'd probably give Kenseth and maaaybe Brad the short end of the stick in terms of chance to move on. Gordon, Harvick and Edwards.. all great at Phoenix.

Something will happen to either Hamlin or Newman.
More likely Denny the way things have been going...

I'd like to see Harvick, Gordon, Brad, and Kenseth out.... but that's purely because they're the biggest competition for Joey.. I dont think Carl, Denny or Newman can beat him.

6 of the 8 Chase contenders have won a race at Phoenix.

4 of those same 8 have won at Homestead.

These scenarios hardly come into play.

Unless of course you win it.

Kahne could have gotten in at Talladega, had he finish like 4 more spots better than he did and he also came into that one needing to "win" that race.

I think Joey, Denny, and Newman will get their finishes. Them and the race winner move on. That could be any of the remaining drivers... I'd probably give Kenseth and maaaybe Brad the short end of the stick in terms of chance to move on. Gordon, Harvick and Edwards.. all great at Phoenix.

At Texas the chasers with the exception of Carl were in the top ten almost the whole race, they would get shuffled a bit on pits sometimes, but they got right back up to the front for the most part. That is a lot of racing around each other. Unless some of them have some bad luck, I think it is going to be pretty dog eat dog the last 50 laps or so.

The media said that Edwards, Keselowski and Harvick all needed to win yesterday...boy, were they ever wrong.
yeah I knew that wasn't the case, Harv and Kez needed a top 5 or so and Edwards needed to be up there too, and this latest guess up top is pretty much worthless when the flag drops. Any car drops out or is way in the back and it all changes.

At Texas the chasers with the exception of Carl were in the top ten almost the whole race, they would get shuffled a bit on pits sometimes, but they got right back up to the front for the most part. That is a lot of racing around each other. Unless some of them have some bad luck, I think it is going to be pretty dog eat dog the last 50 laps or so.

Kenseth and Newman made bad decisions to pit, IMO, and then made each other's day worse by beating and banging on one another back in the pack. That is what brought some of those drivers into better positions for Phoenix.

I want to see jolo, brad the b***, Denny and matt out. Preferably with blown up engines.

I would prefer to see 24 finish in 2nd place both races and the 88 win both races. The rest of them can have one big fight so nascar will be played over and over on the news.
24 is the champ and Johali knows the rest:D:D

I want to see jolo, brad the b***, Denny and matt out. Preferably with blown up engines.

Damn! seems like some venom in that post! is it a recent affliction?

gotta say the biggest downside to last week's fun is watching the usually laid back Johali getting stirred up!

Don't let the chase get to you!

GO NEWMAN!!!

Damn! seems like some venom in that post! is it a recent affliction?

gotta say the biggest downside to last week's fun is watching the usually laid back Johali getting stirred up!

Don't let the chase get to you!

GO NEWMAN!!!
If the last two races didn't get somebody stirred up then plant'em in the ground, they're done. :D

Jeff said after testing at Phoenix earlier in the year he feels like he has the car to beat for next week.

I dont really think these scenerios are correct. The points are too close to say that someone has to win & get in. One driver could fail & another prevail without a win imo

I think harvick or brad is gonna win this race, so Jeff better hope either Hamlin or Newman has a bad day

Jeff said after testing at Phoenix earlier in the year he feels like he has the car to beat for next week.

I dont really think these scenerios are correct. The points are too close to say that someone has to win & get in. One driver could fail & another prevail without a win imo
It's not that they have to win to get in, it's just that there is no other finishing position where they will clinch regardless of where any other driver finishes.

So, every driver has to be in the top 11 to be considered as having a chance. Wow.

Pit road is going to be huge. Hamlin's crew can consistently crank out 11 second stops while the #24 bunch are obviously lagging. The #4 guys are a roll of the dice every time but performing better of late.

Even one lug nut, one foot slip or run over air hose can cost a chance at the Cup.

Crazy stuff so don't forget your extra beer as it could be a long night.

Back
Top Bottom