Proper Richmond Race Etiquette

ladyspartan16

Team Owner
so I'm going to my first race! Yaaaaay! I'm going to the Richmond April Race and we are doing Xfinity and Cup!

I have a few questions:

What should I wear?
Is the pit pass worth it?
I'm trying to get pit lane/start and finish tickets but is the price worth it?

TIA

so I'm going to my first race! Yaaaaay! I'm going to the Richmond April Race and we are doing Xfinity and Cup!

I have a few questions:

What should I wear?

TIA
We went to Daytona and Homestead with very hot weather. We dressed light and took plenty of fluids. The pit pass was definitely worth it, got to see a lot more behind the scenes and up close. We also bought start finish line and the seats were great, great view of the race, pit stops and finish celebration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

If you can't get S/F line, get turn 1. Oh, and I've sat as low as row 7 and Richmond and had a good view of most of the track.

Wear a hat. Stay hydrated. Like Johali said, wear comfortable shoes.

If you can't get S/F line, get turn 1. Oh, and I've sat as low as row 7 and Richmond and had a good view of most of the track.

Wear a hat. Stay hydrated. Like Johali said, wear comfortable shoes.

I was just going to suggest take sunglasses. My eyes are very sensitive.

LS, the most important thing is COMFORT ! You'll do a lot more walking than you think you will, so comfort is
a necessity. A wide-brimmed hat (NOT a baseball cap) is also necessary. Don't forget the sunscreen. Don't forget
to drink lots of water. Carry as little as possible --- if you do carry a bag, try to make it one with straps long enough
to carry over your shoulder. Go lightly on the make-up ---- you don't need it and with all the dust/dirt flying around, your
face will feel grimy and gritty. Lip balm is also good --- the air can be dry. You don't need a fancy hairdo --- just
put your hat on and forget it. LOL
Pit passes are great! Gets you inside to see what goes on.

No purse? Not even a crossbody?
A crossbody purse will work well.

I have a few questions:

What should I wear?

TIA
Oh, and take some earplugs, those suckers are very loud down there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Wear good shoes and rent scanners.

But seriously, wear good shoes, you'll walk alot.

images.jpg

This is frowned upon

Rock a back pack. Make sure you have space for snacks, a sweater, and a headset. A SCANNER IS A MUST.

Congrats on Richmond. I love that track. Would love to go one day.

Didnt you once say that watching races on TV gave you incredible headaches and put you on the floor in pain, and couldnt imagine going to one live?

Best of luck.

You might want to check the weather forecast...... in April at Richmond..... you might want to trade the sunscreen and widebrimmed hat for a beanie and warm clothes..... at that time of year it's hard to plan ahead...

I've gone to Richmond for the Spring race several times and the weather is wacky unpredictable. One year, it was cold (temperatures in the 30s and 40s). Another year, it was rainy. Another year, it was hot and miserable -- temperatures in the 90s.

Get there early....we usually pull into the lot around 9AM and the day's festivities. Get a track schedule, there's a lot to see and do.

You definitely want to get there early, especially if you have a pit pass. There's so much to see and soak in. Check the weather forecast and dress accordingly.

Bring a cooler. Each track has their own rules so check beforehand, but they probably allow you to bring in a 14" cooler. Leave it at your seat (or at the cooler check in, depending on Richmond's policy) so you don't have to carry it around with you. Light weight backpack or a fanny pack or something like that would be a smart idea.

I couldn't have said it better than TRL. On the purse, if I take one, it isn't really a purse. It would be something in clear plastic to hold a few things. You don't need all the stuff you usually carry in a purse.. a little foundation makeup, ear plugs, sunscreen, Kleenex, coin bag, in your case maybe aspirin? Lipstick if you are a stickler for that. I split my cash between my pockets and a coin purse that goes inside the clear one. Drivers License and insurance cards go in my pocket too. I would also buy a lanyard to carry your tickets. I think lanyards are nice souvenirs. I have a mess of them.

Relax and enjoy. I hope you can bring back pictures. :cool:

P.S. I would invest in a cheap rain poncho. One of those that folds into a tiny piece of plastic.

Richmond is one of my three favorite tracks. Sit as high as possible in the stands, take ear plugs or rent a scanner, and do not, I repeat, do not, over indulge in alcohol. Save that part for after the race. Pit passes are good. Comfortable clothes, not fashion unless it is comfortable. The track is not a beauty contest or fashion show. ;) Well, maybe for some it is. Take money. Greenbacks. Dinero. You'll buy things you never knew you needed. The weather does change rapidly so keep a good eye on the weather. Carry a fold up rain cover just in case. They weigh nothing and take no space. Lastly, have a fun time!! You'll love Richmond. Wish I was going with you.

My advise is to travel light. The less stuff you carry in, the better.

My wife, kids and I used to enter these venues, including Richmond, in need of Sherpas. I would have gladly paid someone to carry all our crap up to the top of that terrace going into turn #1. We sat all around that facility and found those to be our seats of choice. It's a great view from up there.

Now, when going to races, we only carry in the necessities. We each have a scanner and headset. I also tote in the cooler. Easy in, easier out.

When we started attending races the biggest strategic decision made was maximizing the capacity of our coolers for a certain amber liquid. IDK if sun block had been invented yet and we certainly were not putting junk on our lips as that was for girls lol. Sitting up high was a priority so we could avoid incoming chicken bones and I don't think any of us had heard the word etiquette unless it had to do with a wedding and we all tried to avoid those like the plague anyway.

My advise is to travel light. The less stuff you carry in, the better.

My wife, kids and I used to enter these venues, including Richmond, in need of Sherpas. I would have gladly paid someone to carry all our crap up to the top of that terrace going into turn #1. We sat all around that facility and found those to be our seats of choice. It's a great view from up there.

Now, when going to races, we only carry in the necessities. We each have a scanner and headset. I also tote in the cooler. Easy in, easier out.
How much of a climb is it to the top of the Terrace at Richmond? I am assuming no escalators or elevators.

How much of a climb is it to the top of the Terrace at Richmond? I am assuming no escalators or elevators.
They have elevators for those that are handicapped. For the rest of us supplemental oxygen is necessary. It's a haul up there to the top but worth the view. Not drinking seats. Restrooms are behind row #1. I think they did install escalators from the ground level to the mezzanine level but not to the top.

Cooler packing tip.....

No need to rent ice. Freeze water bottles beforehand and place those between your beverage(s) of choice. They'll keep your cooler cool for many hours and you can drink them as they thaw.

And, speaking of coolers.....

Beware the 'Cooler Shower'.....

After the race, the village idiots will proceed to empty their coolers from their seating location sending showers of water down below the stands. Great way to ruin an otherwise fantastic day/night at the race for the unsuspecting fan under the grandstands on their way home. If any of you are one of those idiots, I think I can speak for anyone that's received that unwanted and idiotic shower by saying 'Screw You A-hole!'. Karma's a b!tch.

Yeah, if possible, go to the end of the grandstand before going down, then get out from under it promptly. Me, I start making my way down with 5 or 10 to go. By that time you can always find plenty of empty seats to stop in as you work your way out.

That usually isn't a problem if you're going to stay for the burnout and victory celebration. By the time those are over, coolers have already been dumped and there's plenty of room to maneuver.

Cooler packing tip.....

No need to rent ice. Freeze water bottles beforehand and place those between your beverage(s) of choice. They'll keep your cooler cool for many hours and you can drink them as they thaw.

And, speaking of coolers.....

Beware the 'Cooler Shower'.....

After the race, the village idiots will proceed to empty their coolers from their seating location sending showers of water down below the stands. Great way to ruin an otherwise fantastic day/night at the race for the unsuspecting fan under the grandstands on their way home. If any of you are one of those idiots, I think I can speak for anyone that's received that unwanted and idiotic shower by saying 'Screw You A-hole!'. Karma's a b!tch.
One can only hope it's only ice water coming down. I always tote my ice water down and dump it outside the grandstand.

Back
Top Bottom