Public enemy number 97!

97forever

Team Owner
It would be hard,if not impossible, for a guy like me to add much more to this entire Kurt Busch theme than old brains like Whiz or Hardscrabble.But here goes nothin'....

In truth---(and the chat room(not the one with you guys Maj)they jeered ME in last night SURE didnt know)---most folks naturally assume the #97 part of my handle is in reference to NASCAR's current most notorious driver.But it really isnt.Or at least wasnt originally.It was/is Red Farmer's old number.One particularly close to me personally.

And after my memorable experience from that chat-room,it dawned on me that Red's old number is now clearly and absolutely being marked as a number to be reckoned with again.In short...a once proud number driven by a gritty wheel man is once AGAIN being done proud by a gritty wheel man.

Yeah,driven by my 'adopted' driver.One who caught my eye a long time before Nascar WC ever caught him.One Mr.Kurt Busch from Las Vegas Nevada.

Kurt Busch.Red Farmer.Not a lot in common except for one simple thing:Like 'em or not they dont really care,love 'em or hate 'em,they show up at the track for one thing and one thing only.To race to win.To bump,smack,move or just outdrive the other guys.Red once said he never went to a track to lose.Bet the marbles Busch hasn't either.

Remember Dale Earnhardt giving Kurt the finger at Daytona?Remember Jeff Gordon saying Busch was 'driving like a wild man'?Does anybody remember Jack Roush saying the kid has 'ice water in his veins' after the son of the intimidator found Kurt Busch apparently COULDN'T BE intimidated?Each of those guys could see it,maybe feel it.

Pretty damned sure old Red might be a little proud of the kid who has taken the venerable # 97 to the top of the charts.A lot of fans and posters dont seem to like Kurt...dont seem to want to recognize the same qualities in Kurt that ALL the very, very best have possesed.Selective blindness.Kurt bumps someone at BRISTOL!Damn---off with his head.Kurt is the youngest full time WC driver out there,younger than Newman,younger than Harvick.21 full years younger than Jimmy Spencer(Just for those interested a driver I once admired.)

So to all those 'Free Jimmy' t-shirts and caps flying around I say great!To all those who want to argue 'right and wrong' of this or that I say throw your hat into the political ring and solve world hunger.These guys are doing what none of us on here are,after all.It's damned easy to posses an obvious attention seeking need to HATE someone anyway.Anybody can do that.

But in the end this is the fact:Busch is good---very good.Any fan with a first grade education can see it.Kurt Busch is without doubt the only driver out there that approaches Jeff Gordon's skill level.And I am by no stretch of the imagination a Jeff Gordon fan either.But to argue Jeff isnt the best is a waste of good time.He clearly is.If I can admit that about my least 'favorite' driver then why in the hell can't anyone see it in Kurt?Weird.

Oh well.Busch is here to stay.If you hate him now just wait.I guarantee it wont be long till you hate him even more. :cheers:

Hang tough Kurt...a REAL old school driver would be damned proud of you!

That was a good speech 97. You already know I am a long way from being a K. Busch fan. But I will agree with you on this. Busch is one heck of a driver.I think his attitude and agressive driving is what gonna put hin at the 1st table in New York some day. OUCH. It hurt to say that. Yep Kurt Busch is gonna be around for quite a while. :D

Finally, a topic where I can disagree with my nemesis, ole 97forever !!!!!
So ya think Kurt Busch doesn't care what the fans think ??? BALDERDASH !!!!!!!

The tremor in his voice and the sincerity in his eyes show he does care. His incident with Sterling Marlin last night was a "racing incident". He appologized and the fans threw out more Bronx cheers than at a New York Yankee baseball game.

Sure Kurt drives hard every race and he drives hard to win. He wants to win. He needs to win. He has taken an ill handling car and made it work for him. Kurt Busch is the real deal, and he is sincere.

Okay, kick his ass, berate him, make ten reasons why you hate him, but the fans are the ones who are making him react the way he does. He appologized to Sterling last night, and he meant it, a classy move, and he got his ass kicked, big time.

And what did he do ?? He squared his shoulders, picked his head up high, offered praise to all the right people and acted as the best damn driver on the track should act, with confidence and pride. He did it. He showed everybody he is for real. He was Eisenhower on D-Day.

Since last night was driver appreciation night at Bristol, the fans reacted by booing him, soundly. Hell, I thought it was driver introductions and Jeff Gordon came out !!!!!!
Kurt's mouth got him in trouble. He should have backed away from Spencer, but he didn't. Neither did he deserve being punched by "Tiger" Spencer, but as the line in a Tom Clancy novel goes, "if you're gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan for his teeth". Kurt forgot about his teeth.

Kurt is young. Give him a little room. This is a lot to be placed on a mans plate for being so young. He has been thrown into the corporate world and every part of him is being inspected. I know there were things I did before the age of twenty-five (oops, and after twenty-five) I wish I had never said or done, but from those errors, I learned. Kurt will too, if the fans let him. Quite honestly , I doubt if many of us could handle what he must deal with every day.

I guess the real problem is, when a hot shoe like Kurt Busch comes along, those of us who cheer for other drivers get nervous 'cause we know he is a threat to win every week and the chance our personal favorite, our number one, are greatly reduced.

Whiz. You know when some one post a long post. Alot of times I just skim over it. But when you and HS post I have to read the whole thing. And most of the time it's just common sence. I really like reading both of your post. :cheers:

very nice post 97 and whiz, i really dont like busch cause ive always seen him as ****y, this incident made me hate even more, with that being said tho he is a damn good race car driver, my opinion on that wont change, and 97 nice post about gordon, i love goin to the races cause all you here is gordon is gay etc, but not one of those people will admot they hate him because of his skill level, they'll will make fun of him cause hes a pretty boy or whatever, but if he didnt have the skills he does nobody would pay any attention to him at all, he would just be another guy out there, same is happening with busch, you know he is threat so you start hating the guy even more, you always want your driver to win or dominate, and busch is starting to do that, think back to his rookie year tho, he sure came around

Kurt should learn that sometimes you can say more by keeping your mouth shut. He should let his skill in the car do his talking for him. Be gracious in victory or defeat and you should go far, just don't piss off the fans. The fans built NASCAR and they can tear down a driver just as fast. When he got out of the car last night and heard the boo's...he looked like he finally realized he stepped in a nice giant cow patty. With more of the story comming out, it certainly doesn't help in his favor, but hopefully he has learned from it. Now lets go racin.

This is a great post with well thought out answers!

I enjoy reading post like this!

please all those above take a BOW

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I agree.Good responses folks.This is a pretty good group on here.

BUT.........

For every young and dashing Sherlock Holmes ;) along comes an older and clever Professor Moriarty.

Ok..thats high company.But me and WHIZZER are kinda like the blue color version of those guys...... :p

Hard for even me to find much fault in your response Whiz.And trust me,I tried.Ya done good and made some points I only wish I could have thought of.Damn it.

A mexican beer for all you guys then! :cheers:

(And Whiz...sorry about the --uh---'engineer' remark in the joke section!Who the hell could have ever expected YOU to go for a good joke??If I would have thought you ever read those I would have made cracks months ago!)

Originally posted by 97forever@Aug 24 2003, 02:41 PM
--most folks naturally assume the #97 part of my handle is in reference to NASCAR's current most notorious driver.But it really isnt.Or at least wasnt originally.It was/is Red Farmer's old number.One particularly close to me personally.

Wow! And here I thought you were an old Chad Little fan! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom