Rain out

Ford 222

Team Owner
Are there any more open weekends until end of the year?

If not, what happens if we get another rainout and can't get it in before the teams have to go back to get ready for next race? I'm sure they would stay the week if they had to but what if a rainy period set in for a week? Would the season extend another week and Homestead lose their Championship Weekend?

I believe that they push the race until after the end of the season (i.e., after crowning a champion). That only happened once, where a race was cancelled in the wake of 9/11.

Theyd stay at the track until the following Thursday I believe. It's yet to be a problem during the 36-race era, but I do wonder what would happen in the event of a real disaster like the Daytona fired in....97? They make such a big deal of Homestead as the last race championship that I dont know how easily they could just move a race to the end like they did in 2001.

I'd be curious to see what would happen. But the only time I remember this scenario happening was when New Hampshire was cancelled due to 9/11 and becoming the finale. And that is clearly the most dire of circumstances.

Theyd stay at the track until the following Thursday I believe. It's yet to be a problem during the 36-race era, but I do wonder what would happen in the event of a real disaster like the Daytona fired in....97? They make such a big deal of Homestead as the last race championship that I dont know how easily they could just move a race to the end like they did in 2001.
I've never seen them stay past Tuesday. A lot depends on where the next race is, and how quickly the teams think they can get to Charlotte, get the hauler turned around, and get to the next track. I can recall them having to wait until the next open weekend, but I can't give you exact dates.

As to 2001, the NH race was the official end of the 36-race season. The champion and final standings were based on those results, not on the originally scheduled 'final' race. That was pre-Chase, however; gods only know how BZF will react until the situation actually occurs.

I'd be curious to see what would happen. But the only time I remember this scenario happening was when New Hampshire was cancelled due to 9/11 and becoming the finale. And that is clearly the most dire of circumstances.

Some of the drivers were pissed running the race on that date as I think it was Thanksgiving.

Going to Wed, maybe, its a three hour drive from Bristol to Charlotte , turn around time wouldnt be that long as the teams would have everything ready to go , so it would be unload/load and go, the drive time from Charlotte to MIS is something like 9 hours, Cup haulers enter the track at 6pm on Thursday.

I am just guessing, but one thing to consider to, its not just the teams, but everything else that goes along with the races too, TV for instance, I wonder how long it takes to get everything set up for the broadcast, not mention the tear down first.

I was really just looking at a rainout at a non chase race where we don't have open weekends left in the season. I guess it would have to be Nascars decision if the race gets to be the deciding race for the title or just a money race after the season is over.

I was really just looking at a rainout at a non chase race where we don't have open weekends left in the season. I guess it would have to be Nascars decision if the race gets to be the deciding race for the title or just a money race after the season is over.

I believe Nascar would preserve the Homestead championship weekend at all cost. They have simply invested to much into the promotion of a big finale, to consider any other options.

Going to Wed, maybe, its a three hour drive from Bristol to Charlotte , turn around time wouldnt be that long as the teams would have everything ready to go , so it would be unload/load and go, the drive time from Charlotte to MIS is something like 9 hours, Cup haulers enter the track at 6pm on Thursday.

I am just guessing, but one thing to consider to, its not just the teams, but everything else that goes along with the races too, TV for instance, I wonder how long it takes to get everything set up for the broadcast, not mention the tear down first.
Yeah, but that's not one of the more difficult ones. For example, look at some of this season's other weekends:

Kansas - Dover
Pocono - Michigan - Sonoma
Kentucky - Loudon - Indy - Pocono - Watkins Glen
Chicago - Loudon
Dover, Texas - Phoenix - Homestead

We won't know until it happens. I suspect NASCAR's current plans for such an event consist of keeping their fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom