RFK Racing News

Our manufacturing company has used Fastenal for years and are very happy with them. We put in a vending machine system that keyed on job numbers and as the item was used we were billed for that item and automatically reordered the part used out of the vending machine. Saved a lot of labor time by reducing trips to the parts department, it is a money maker for us.

Our manufacturing company has used Fastenal for years and are very happy with them. We put in a vending machine system that keyed on job numbers and as the item was used we were billed for that item and automatically reordered the part used out of the vending machine. Saved a lot of labor time by reducing trips to the parts department, it is a money maker for us.
The company I work for has the vending machines in our shops and they've been tremendous for us. Our process is exactly as you described.

Reactions: sdj
The may well be fine for that kind of stuff, but as a fastener company they are useless. In Fort Wayne they used to have 4-5 small stores that didn't actually have anything, then they closed most of those and built one big store, and they still don't have anything. General rule of thumb on bolts and screws is if I don't stock it, neither do they. If I call them 10 times, the answer will be "I can order that for you 9 times. If I wanted it tomorrow or the day after, I'd just order from my regular supplier.

As far as bulk fasteners go, Fastenal came by weekly and checked our inventory and replaced as needed, pretty seemless operation for us. I guess had we ordered some off the wall items one at a time we might have had problems but, for us, that was not the case, we stayed ahead of need as much as possible. Fastenal gets an A+ for service and supply in our company.

The may well be fine for that kind of stuff, but as a fastener company they are useless. In Fort Wayne they used to have 4-5 small stores that didn't actually have anything, then they closed most of those and built one big store, and they still don't have anything. General rule of thumb on bolts and screws is if I don't stock it, neither do they. If I call them 10 times, the answer will be "I can order that for you 9 times. If I wanted it tomorrow or the day after, I'd just order from my regular supplier.
It's always been my experience that Fastenal is really good for "we don't that that in stock, but we can order it for you"

As far as bulk fasteners go, Fastenal came by weekly and checked our inventory and replaced as needed, pretty seemless operation for us. I guess had we ordered some off the wall items one at a time we might have had problems but, for us, that was not the case, we stayed ahead of need as much as possible. Fastenal gets an A+ for service and supply in our company.
There again, if they are managing your stock and ordering in, likely no problem, but I already have somebody better and cheaper for that. But when I run out of something or I need something a little bigger size than what I stock, they almost NEVER have what I need. M10 x 120 MM bolt, forget it. 3/4" x 8" grade 8, forget it. A 5/16" NC nutsert? No luck. Metric locknut? No way.

If you don’t have anything, it’s easier and cheaper to keep it in one large location as opposed to 5 or 6 smaller ones.

These people don’t close to take inventory ... one guy skips lunch on the last day of the fiscal year.

There again, if they are managing your stock and ordering in, likely no problem, but I already have somebody better and cheaper for that. But when I run out of something or I need something a little bigger size than what I stock, they almost NEVER have what I need. M10 x 120 MM bolt, forget it. 3/4" x 8" grade 8, forget it. A 5/16" NC nutsert? No luck. Metric locknut? No way.

So the guys you list, that I underlined in your quote, don't have them either but, they are cheaper and better?
Baby smoking.gif

Anyways, back on topic... Who wins first Brad or Chris?

Calling my shot... Chris Buescher wins Daytona in a couple weeks :cool:
RFK is in the game IMO. I think one or the other will get a win before the season is over. They are knocking on the door.

Anyways, back on topic... Who wins first Brad or Chris?

Calling my shot... Chris Buescher wins Daytona in a couple weeks :cool:

I think a win for Brad is as simple (I use that loosely) as nailing a set up and being flawless on pit road. They are close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Chris seems like good people. I give all the credit to Keselowski, Jack Roush ran that business into the ground by not changing with the times. Kez picked up the pieces and turned it around. It was Ford day at Richmond and I think the same thing is going to happen at Michigan.

Yeah Chris seems like good people. I give all the credit to Keselowski, Jack Roush ran that business into the ground by not changing with the times. Kez picked up the pieces and turned it around. It was Ford day at Richmond and I think the same thing is going to happen at Michigan.
I agree...I have been a fan of Brad's for years. His racing roots are as hardcore as they come. He has paid his dues and provided an opportunity to drivers like Blaney, Chastain, Reddick, Cindric, Briscoe and more when he owned the truck team. Brad used to publish a "Blog" of his thoughts that I found very insightful as to the type of person he is. Hope he is able to get another win in the Cup series before retiring.

I agree...I have been a fan of Brad's for years. His racing roots are as hardcore as they come. He has paid his dues and provided an opportunity to drivers like Blaney, Chastain, Reddick, Cindric, Briscoe and more when he owned the truck team. Brad used to publish a "Blog" of his thoughts that I found very insightful as to the type of person he is. Hope he is able to get another win in the Cup series before retiring.
I’ve come around on him a little bit. There’s another thread about him here you may like, where somebody shared a post about the business that he is running outside of racing. I found it pretty interesting myself and have to concede that he’s a bit smarter than one might’ve initially thought when he first came up through the ranks.

Brad is a whole lot smarter than most people give him credit for. Lets not forget that he closed the truck team down to work on his other businesses in order to hopefully come back on the cup side.....guess that one turned out.

So the guys you list, that I underlined in your quote, don't have them either but, they are cheaper and better? View attachment 71889
My better and cheaper ships their stuff in too, just like Fastenal does, but at a better price. What I'm saying is that to go to a Fastenal store in person ( at least around here) and expect them to have anything in the building outside of the most basic stuff everybody already stocks themselves is a fantasy. I had lunch on Saturday with two guys in construction. The restaurant was in a nearby town right next to a small Fastenal store in a strip mall. Both guys, without any comment from me said "what a waste of real estate".

Back
Top Bottom