Rick Hendrick believes he's found gem in Chase Elliott

That's not what happened. Brad was in 9 cup races for HMS as a development driver, which allowed HMS to have 5 cars on the track. Then Rick set him up to race cup with Phoenix racing, where he had even better results. Mark Martin was supposed to be out of the #5 in 2011 with Brad taking over. Instead, Rick tried to get MM to extend his contract by 2 years, but Mark only wanted to do 1 more year. Meanwhile, Rick knew Brad was sitting on an offer Roger made in early 2009. Look at Brads numbers in 2009 and you'll understand why Roger made the offer. After Mark re-signed (and before the extension was announced), Brad and Roger came to an agreement which included starting up the #22 NW team. That new team was the key to signing Paul Wolfe. I think Rick couldn't find a sponsor for Brad, and Roger was willing to fund the cup car himself. It was a smart by Brad, because once Kasey Kahne became available, he would have been pushed out anyway.

Brad was driving for JRM, which had a strong association with HMS, including engineering support. When Chase comes up, he'll be driving for JRM in NW before he gets to cup. Brad was indeed an HMS development driver.
FB what in the hell do you think your doing, destroying all of these rumors, innuendos and plain fabrications with facts, you know the gene pool crowd don't like facts they just like to gang up and attack people, tsk tsk shame on you.

Bill Elliott should've had this kid during his Million Dollar 1985 superseason...

If Hendrick thinks Elliot is a gem, he should leave him in the ground awhile longer...

Doesn't sound like it is set in stone, but N'Wide for Chase Elliott in 2014.

BROOKLYN, Mich. -- Team owner Rick Hendrick hopes to put Chase Elliott, the 17-year-old son of 1988 Cup champion Bill Elliott, in a Nationwide Series car in 2014.
Chase Elliott is coming off a win in the ARCA series last weekend at Pocono with Aaron's as his primary sponsor. He has finished sixth, fifth and fourth in three starts for Hendrick in the Truck Series with Aaron's on the hood.
Asked about his plans for 2014, Hendrick, a co-owner of JR Motorsports, said "Hopefully, in the Nationwide Series.''
Hendrick didn't rule out Aaron's being the sponsor.
"They like him a lot,'' Hendrick said before Sunday's Sprint Cup race at Michigan International Speedway. "They've been with him since he started. We've had a lot of interest in him -- a lot of interest.
"I tell you, his record in Trucks, and that [Pocono] race, it was pretty awesome.''
Hendrick signed Elliott to a multiyear deal in 2011.
"Such a good young man,'' Hendrick said. "With his name, his looks, he's going to have a terrific career in this sport. His mom and dad have done such a good job with him. He's just one of the neatest guys. He'll be good for our sport.''

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/na...hopes-put-chase-elliott-nationwide-series-car

I think NW in 2014 may be a good fit. Hopefully the dynamic duo of a buschwhacker and backrunner that happen to come with a sponser can move elsewhere.

If Chase gets thrown up in N'wide, he will have his hands full, that is a huge step. Hendrick/Earnhardt are having a good year with Regan Smith way out front in N'Wide. I think that helped Chase, they aren't looking around for another driver for Regan's ride and can take a chance..on Chance..pardon the pun.

If Chase gets thrown up in N'wide, he will have his hands full, that is a huge step. Hendrick/Earnhardt are having a good year with Regan Smith way out front in N'Wide. I think that helped Chase, they aren't looking around for another driver for Regan's ride and can take a chance..on Chance..pardon the pun.
Keep in mind Larson got the same treatment and he kicked ass.

I was going to say something about that, Larson, and the other rookie Bowman raced together with Elliott quite a bit. glancing at the stats, Elliott has the worst record of the three. I know Larson was snatched up by Gannassi. I don't think Bowman is hooked up with a blue chip cup team. So to me anyway, the record isn't quite as important as the name to Hendrick. If Chase does fairly well in N'Wide ,that will probably be good enough for T-Shirt and TV sponsorship money. Larson and Bowman will kick his ass along with the regulars. He will get better quick, or he won't go farther. This isn't his daddy's experience with his own family team, the sport is entirely different now.

I really hope they don't rush him...but they might be headed that way.

I'm pretty sure that is race horses that you don't want to bring along too fast . Race car drivers benifit from every lap they run on a Sprint Cup track . They need to build a file on the subtleties if each track . The only negative is when , 'know it all fans' get on their case for not winning.

I'm pretty sure that is race horses that you don't want to bring along too fast . Race car drivers benifit from every lap they run on a Sprint Cup track . They need to build a file on the subtleties if each track . The only negative is when , 'know it all fans' get on their case for not winning.

Joey Logano loves you.

Not really. Throw them into the fire when they're barely old enough to have graduated high school and you're seriously stunting the development and confidence of some of these guys. Look at Joey Logano, he didn't even have a full Nationwide season in before he was running for JGR and three years later he was looking for a new job. Plus, if you're brought up too soon and don't perform immediately for these sponsors that surely have so many expectations they can get on your ass in a hurry. You don't have to look much further than Casey Atwood. Fortunately, his last name is Elliott so that may not be an issue for Chase.

So is what Chase did in Pocono really that impressive? I think his Dover truck race was pretty impressive. But in a weak ARCA field and with top level equipment I'm not sure he proved anything with the run at Pocono. I think it just provided the opportunity for Hendrick to talk him up and work on drumming up future sponsorship. Is Aaron's really willing to sponsor a full-time Nationwide program in addition to their MWR sponsorship?

If Rick Hendrick thinks he's ready for Nationwide that's where he'll be but it seems like they are rushing the kid...but I guess that is what they all do looking for the next big thing (or next Jeff Gordon).

they pulled up Larson and Bowman into N'Wide, they had better records though. Neither have the opportunity that Chase has.

They are like great young rookies in any junior draft in pro sports . The odds are low that any of them will make the pros and lower that they will be stars .The next Jimmy Johnson is not likely among them . I would say that this seems to be a good draft year .

I think it is too. Time will tell, speeds are faster, crashes are harder, more pressure, on and on.

Joey Logano loves you.
You know... Joey obviously didn't perform at the level that was expected of him in the first part of his career. Mostly because such high performance was expected of him at such a young age and with little to no experience. I'm sure most younger guys might not want to do that nowadays but I really think it was a great thing in the development of his driving ability. Everyone always says he should have spent another year or two in nationwide before coming to cup. I think that learning the same thing in a cup car will end up being more beneficial. Think about it, when other guys are getting in the trucks and nationwide he was learning all those "subtleties" in an 850 HP machine with the best drivers on the planet showing him the ropes. While comparatively and based on his success in other series it may not seem like he did much but I guarantee the lessons he's learned have been at the top level and being so young those things are going to give him quite the arsenal in the years to come. I'm not even saying I don't think he should have had at least a season in NNS before coming to cup but I really don't think in anyway was it detrimental to his development as a driver. It was absolutely the opposite, but with the worlds best around you week in and week out, everything is magnified. Especially when you come in with such high expectancies. I don't look at it like he lost his job. Drivers change cars and teams every year and this was no different. He's a better fit at Penske than at Gibbs, just like Kenseth seems to be a better fit in that 20 car. I think Joey's fine, the move to Penske was great for his career and he has been having the best season of his career as far as top 10s and 5s at this point in the season, while the numbers r by no means breath taking they show a clear improvement and I see no reason to think he wont continue to get better. Without that penalty he would be in I think 9th in points. Not too bad for a driver people see to have written off...

Wow that ended up being a lot longer than I intended lol... guess I was due for a little Joey rant... Im getting a lil better at going about it rationally dontcha think? :cheers: lol

I guess my point in relation to this thread is that most owners will probably give gguys a bit extra time... aaaand it may be a good idea may not... like was said earlier, every lap is good on track regardless....I see no harm in pulling anyone into any series at any age.. I doubt any driver under 20 would really perform well in cup anyway... doesn't mean theyre not getting the best teachers possible

Like Brad said 5 years ago, the days of teams betting millions on young drivers while trying to find the next Jeff Gordon are over.

I guess its mostly because it'd be hard to find sponsorship for a guy like that. I'm sure there's a few guys that owners wouldn't mind bringing up now but the sponsors are the ones putting the millions down.

I guess its mostly because it'd be hard to find sponsorship for a guy like that. I'm sure there's a few guys that owners wouldn't mind bringing up now but the sponsors are the ones putting the millions down.

Guys like Bobby Labonte and Jeff Burton have a lot more to offer sponsors and owners than kids with big egos. It's up to the owners to improve the equipment .

Guys like Bobby Labonte and Jeff Burton have a lot more to offer sponsors and owners than kids with big egos. It's up to the owners to improve the equipment .

This is true when it somes to specific sponsorship. I dont expect to see a Labonte or Burton driving for an energy drink sponsored car. Those are they types of products that this generation of NASCAR is heading. The other thing to look at is that these drivers are not going to get long term rides because of their ages. Companies want branding that fits long term. Younger drivers provide that.

Plus I think a lot of companies don't want to end up putting so much money out and getting someone who takes longer to come into their own like Logan o did. Home Depot probably wasn't very happy, and Im sure a lot of sponsors learned from it. Id think we'll see more people with 5-6 race deals when the young guys start comin in.

Yeah , something has changed here . Used to be , these young guns could come in with a smaller team like BK racing or Front Row , maybe move up to Petty or Ganassi before getting a Hendrick or Roush ride . There seems to be no natural progression any more .

Say, what ever happened to old Buckshot Jones anyway? He tore up his fair share of equipment for sure.

Last I saw Buckshot was at the Snowball Derby in Pensecola 07 or 08? He qualified well then was penalized over a tire infraction, had to start in the back and got cuaght up in someone else's crash. He's still in N. Ga. from what I hear he has a pretty good business going on.
Back when he came to Cup he had the desire but not the experiance in that type car and his dad insisted on running their own team, they just did'nt have the money, manpower or knowledge to do that and a major sponsor that signed on early for good money never made the first check good, or any other check. They where behind and underfunded working on their own money and it showed. The following year Petty signed him then tossed him in an underfunded undeveloped team with no leadership or guidance, it was a clusterbuck and nobody was happy.
Boy could drive and had the desire he just never got enough seat time in the big cars.

Yeah , something has changed here . Used to be , these young guns could come in with a smaller team like BK racing or Front Row , maybe move up to Petty or Ganassi before getting a Hendrick or Roush ride . There seems to be no natural progression any more .
Well its become more about the money. Whats the best way for rch people to get rcher? LOL Gambling! Either that or lose it all...

Back
Top Bottom