Robby Gordon's hood goes over fence

P

Parkfan

I turned the race off after a couple of interviews and missed what they said about Robby's hood going over the fence. I've seen some stuff about it on the internet. Can somebody fill me in on what happened? Your thoughts about this?

Yeah I saw that after the race. At least a few people was injured, hopefuly nothing serouis.

With four laps to go Robby Gordon's hood flew off his car in the tri-oval. It went over the fence and land in the grandstands. They were some injurys but no one knows what these injurys are yet.

Thanks, I also hope nobody was injured badly. How did the hood come off? If it was that loose shouldn't they have just removed it? Or attached it tighter?

Im sure Jayski will have an update later on tonight or early tommorow. From the little that NBC showed, it looked like no serious injuries. Lets hope not....

Originally posted by park30fan@Jul 6 2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks, I also hope nobody was injured badly. How did the hood come off? If it was that loose shouldn't they have just removed it? Or attached it tighter?
The hood of Robby's car was most likely loose since he did make contact to the front end of the car during the big one. I just hope nobody was injured badly.

I've got to think there will be some sort of serious fine or other disciplinary actions over this little incident. NASCAR requires two seperate tethers on the hoods. Those must have been cut or removed when the car was being repaired to get back out on the track after Robby's crash. Somebody had to have failed to re-attach those tethers in the course of making the repairs, NASCAR's inspectors also failed to ascertain that the car was in a safe condition to return to the track.

It is long past the time when cars involved in accidents should be parked for the remainder of an event.
Are those few additional points a driver and car owner earn for returning to a race worth the injury or death of a fan who has paid to watch an entertainment event?
I think not!

Man, I thought it was only dangerous to actually be on the track with Robby :eek:

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Jul 6 2003, 09:28 AM
Man, I thought it was only dangerous to actually be on the track with Robby :eek:
:eek: :lol:

Originally posted by DeeDee+Jul 6 2003, 08:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeeDee @ Jul 6 2003, 08:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--4xchampncountin@Jul 6 2003, 09:28 AM
Man, I thought it was only dangerous to actually be on the track with Robby&nbsp; :eek:
:eek: :lol: [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What the heck are you talking about ? It wasnt Robby's fault that this happened.

NASCAR officials have determined a bolt connecting the hood with a safety tether failed in Winston Cup driver Robby Gordon's #31 Cingular Wireless Chevy, causing the hood to fly off the car and into the grandstands during last Saturday's Pepsi 400 at Daytona International Speedway. NASCAR spokesman Mike Zizzo said Tuesday officials continue to investigate the incident, including finding a cause for the bolt's failure. "There remains a lot of work to be done on this," he said. NASCAR officials are working on ways to prevent the bolt failure, including the possible use of different size bolts, Zizzo said. No penalties are likely to be assessed to the #31 team. Zizzo said it appeared the team had followed all NASCAR guidelines while preparing the car for a return to the race track. Winston Cup cars are required to have two tethers made from a fiber called Vectran attached from bars in the engine bay to the hood at points approximately 12 inches from the rear of the hood. The hoods are also anchored by steel hinges in the rear, attached with bolts, and pinned in front with four steel fasteners. It was one of these bolts that failed in Gordon's car, Zizzo said.

Back
Top Bottom