Roof Hatches

Tumbleweed

Team Owner
I remember some years ago that there was I believe a plan to add roof hatches to cup cars. I can even remember one race (I think it was Daytona) where Mikey Waltrip won and at the end of the race, he popped out of a roof hatch which had been installed on his car. I think I remember being told at the time that the hatches would be going on the other cup cars as well but I’ve never seen a roof hatch on any other NASCAR car since then.

What has ever happened to that plan? The only thing I have heard since then is that NASCAR has left it up to each team do decide whether they want to install them or not. That doesn’t make any sense to me. NASCAR is such an enforcer of standards that I can’t imagine them leaving a feature that significant up to each particular team. For example, I would think that having a roof hatch would add a significant amount of weight to a car so you would have cars of different weights running around the track.

Didn't someone in the last couple years have one come open during the race? I want to say Hamlin?

If I remember correctly Hambone had a hatch for easier exit because of his sore back

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Didn't someone in the last couple years have one come open during the race? I want to say Hamlin?
Yeah , it was Hamlin and I believe it was last year , damn CRS

Waltrip had one in 2003. Since then, the COT and subsequent cars have featured a taller greenhouse ... much easier access through the side window opening.

No car builder wants to add weight there. Raises the center of gravity. All cars weigh the same (minimum allowed) plus driver weight adjustment. In every case, ballast is added to get there and always mounted in the frame rails. Low.

Hamlin's was an anomaly.

Waltrip had one in 2003. Since then, the COT and subsequent cars have featured a taller greenhouse ... much easier access through the side window opening.

It doesn't matter that the car roof is higher. If the driver's side is hard against a wall and the car can't be moved, the driver isn't getting out of the side window until the car IS moved. We've already seen that happen several times this year including once in today's race.The only other option without a roof hatch is somehow getting out the passenger side window, which has got to be time consuming and difficult.

The problem is even worse if the car is on fire.

I'm sure you're right.

That said, nobody will use them unless they're mandatory for reasons already stated.

i think they're drivers choice to have them now....plus Nascar didn't like when Mikey popped thru his, and said that was a no-no. not sure but i think Mikey still has it when gets in a car.

Pretty sure they are allowed at plate tracks only. The speed advantage is aero in the fact that a bit of air can escape through the sides of the hatch.

Pretty sure they are allowed at plate tracks only. The speed advantage is aero in the fact that a bit of air can escape through the sides of the hatch.
that's right

1677257476001_4577812379001_nascar-nscs15-tal2-high-two922.jpg

494232822-e1445877666651.jpg

No car builder wants to add weight there. Raises the center of gravity. All cars weigh the same (minimum allowed) plus driver weight adjustment.

You're going to have the same amount of sheet metal and only adding a hinge, some reinforcement and a latch. 5 pounds if that? If mandated all cars would be equal so no advantage.

You're going to have the same amount of sheet metal and only adding a hinge, some reinforcement and a latch. 5 pounds if that? If mandated all cars would be equal so no advantage.
3 or so pounds leveraged as far away from the center of gravity as you can get. It matters.

Yes, if it is mandatory it's the same for everyone.

Missed this earlier.

Thanks ... I had no idea. Learn something new every day. The roof and hood flaps have a closed cell foam-type seal in the channel to keep them air-tight. Wouldn't they use them in this application?

The roof hatch should be mandated. Every added escape route should be available to all drivers, especially now that their movement is more restricted by the bigger headrests and HANS or other restraint devices. Even the smaller drivers look like they have trouble getting out through the window part of the time. After seeing the video of a driver recently basically burning to death in his car I thing quick egress is something that should be a priority in all forms of racing.

Back
Top Bottom