Ryan Newman--Hero or Zero?

G

Gordon Jeffries

Am I the only one who is getting sick of Flyin' Ryan winning these races because his car can go further of fuel than anyone else's? Don't get me wrong, Ryan is a great racer, and his team is awesome, but 4 of his 7 wins have materialized because he had to stop one less time for gas than everyone else, not because he had the best car or deserved to win.

Now I know what you're going to say. Fuel mileage is part of racing, and I agree, but this is getting kind of old. I don't mind someone winning once and a while because of good fuel mileage, but when more than half of someone's wins (7) come from the fact that they had to stop one less time compared to everyone else rather than because they dominated and just won because they had the best car, it gets a little old.

It's like most of the races are being determined on who can go furthest on fuel rather than who has the best car and pit crew. Boring.

Also, how can Ryan Newman have a more powerful car than anyone else (he pulled away from Jeremy on the straightaways), race hard against Jeremy Mayfield, and still be able to go about 20 laps further than anyone else on a tank of fuel, and still have enough fuel to do burnouts? I thought you had to sacrifice power for fuel mileage. Something's rotton in the state of Denmark. :bleh:

Maybe since Ryan's an engineer, he figured out some super secret engine design that none of the other teams are privy too. If that's the case, he should retire racing and sell his secret to Dodge for a billion dollars. Can you imagine an Intrepid with 300 hp and gets 40 mph in the city?

Hard to figure where to start........

I didn't think the battle between Jeremy and Ryan was boring at all. Nor did I feel that Ryan was in a car which was in any way, shape, or form below top notch. Something which I think as been true practically everywhere this season.

I also believe that NASCAR is likely closely examining the fuel cell, filling system, venting system, fuel delivery system, carb and manifold most thoroughly on the #12 car.

There was a time when drivers/teams that practiced sound tire management and car management were applauded for their insight and intelligence. I see absolutely no difference between sound fuel management and those aspects of racing. This is not a sprint race. Management of all aspects of the race are both required and very interesting to me at least.

Answer to the question...Hero. I understand the fuel milage issue of a win, but it is far better than other factors that effect wins like rain or yellow flags.

Shades of Jeff Gordon. I was wondering how long it would be before the conspiracy theorist came out of the woodwork to poke, prod, cajole and cast suspicion on Ryan Newman and the rest of his team.

A guy wins consistently and right away he is cheating or has some sneaky thing going on his behalf. The real reason for the conspiracy theories is, your favorite driver hasn't won in a while or has never won and every time Ryan wins, well, it is another race date without that elusive win. How long will it be before the "boos" and Bronx cheers begin at driver introductions for Ryan??

Face it, this team is good. They are better than good. Newman put on one super show in his run against Mayfield and showed once again he is "da man", this week. Being "da man" changes on a weekly basis.

When Jeff Gordon was winning, it was a combination of items that produced those wins, including the driver. The win factor inspired the conspiracy theories, cheating, NASCAR's favorite and giving him the race, add your own reason here.

The same holds true when any driver wins. And yesterday was not really a fuel mileage race. Newman won it on driving abilty and smart pit strategy.

My only problem with Ryan winning (this race especially) is that no other car was able to run any where close to 106 laps on one tank of fuel, not even his teammate. Either there is something "funny" with Ryan's car, or he is just really able to "miraculously" conserve fuel when it is needed. OR, Borland is one hell of a poker player and.........well, you know how that game would go. When a crew chief says that they will be 15 laps shy on fuel....... :unsure:

Edit: BTW, in no way am I denying that Ryan has talent and can wheel a race car!

and this comming from a guy that calls himself "Gordon Jeffries".

I didn't see the race as being a snore at all. That late-race battle for the lead was great until Jeremy knocked in his right fender. Newman's team made a hulluva call to keep Newman out there when they thought he might run out of gas, and he ended outrunning the drivers who weren't conserving gas. Newman drove a smart race and his team made the right calls to get him out front. The #12 team definitely deserved the win.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 12 car doesn't have at least something a little funny with it, but if they do they must have it hidden awful good. I would bet that the other teams have been pressing Nascar inspecters to go over the fuel system real good. Evidently they haven't found anything so far so I don't see much difference between this and the DEI cars dominating the plate races. Maybe the setups that Ryan wants and his driving style just compliments what the team gives him. The fuel milage deal would only bother me if Nascar put a limit on how much gas you could use in a race. As long as Nascar leaves it alone and lets the teams decide what kind of race they want to run then I'm not going to worry about it much.

I think its just great that a person is winning because he and his crew are out thinking everyone else. And being at the right spot at the right time. All his poles and wins are dominating this year and hope to see him in victory lane a few more time this year

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Sep 22 2003, 02:13 PM
I know one thing, I'll never trust a word out of Matt Borland's mouth. LOL
And, TRL, I certainly wouldn't trust him in a poker game, either! :D

Personally I dont think the #12 team is cheating. Even when he was doing the ABC plan he was consistently one of the fastest out there. Last year he won a lot of poles, and was always a threat, but could never consistently put it together at the end. This year he has. If not for the 4 race streak of engine malfunctions and the 3 restrictor plate crashes he would probably be up there with Kenseth in the points chase.

He is probably (actually is) the best in the sport right now at taking any car and getting it to the front.

One things for sure, Ryan needs to tell us all those "fuel saving tactics" so we can use em on our cars.

RobbyG fan, I am in no way discounting Ryan's driving ablility. But every other car on that track could not get 104 laps on a single cell of fuel. :unsure:

Originally posted by majestyx@Sep 22 2003, 09:12 PM
RobbyG fan, I am in no way discounting Ryan's driving ablility. But every other car on that track could not get 104 laps on a single cell of fuel. :unsure:
I thought Kenseth did also?

I wish I followed the race closer so I would know, but the race was just a snoozer.

Originally posted by Happy29@Sep 22 2003, 09:10 PM
One things for sure, Ryan needs to tell us all those "fuel saving tactics" so we can use em on our cars.
I hear that!

To Ryan's credit, you could hear him rolling out of the gas going into the turns, even when jeremy mayfield was racing w/ him. So he was even saving gas while defending his position. Now that takes some talent.

I love it when DEI fans say or imply in one way or another that other teams cheat.

That's funny I thought that Jimmie Johnson, Robbie Gordon and Kevin Harvick were Hendriks and Childress drivers maybe I better start watching closer also. :lol:

Ryan Newman didnt cheat he was saving his gas. Brian Vickers went 105 on his tank of gas.. Dover gets 4miles a gallon. Ryan Newman is the new big star driver. Everyone was like this when Jeff Gordon was winning races.

I dont think Newman had anything. We already heard that team owners were vocal about Newman's fuel stretch, so Im sure Nascar tore apart that car during post race inspection. Nothing has been announced, so it seems all was good.

just trying to throw in some controversy to a fire that's already burning! :)

Newman is good.Yeah,he's THAT good.He isn't the best driver skill-wise out there but he is certainly one of the smartest.Nothing 'funny' at all about conservation and smart management of his fuel and/or tires.Kenseth,in fact could likely have matched Ryan's fuel strategy---and chose NOT too....as Ryan himself pointed out.

Originally posted by Highboy90@Sep 22 2003, 09:00 PM
I love it when DEI fans say or imply in one way or another that other teams cheat.
I could care less....didnt look like a DEI car was even in the running for the win did it. I wanted Newman to win....but it didnt really matter to me who did.

I think Stewart said it best in his post race interview. He's the only driver that say's what need to be said. Yes, I'm also sick of fuel mileage racing.

Originally posted by EJL@Sep 25 2003, 07:43 AM
Smokie Y. knew how to conserve fuel also.
Agree with you there. It's too bad he got a bad set of tires at the end cause I know he would of kicked Newman's butt. :D :D

Originally posted by EJL@Sep 25 2003, 12:43 PM
Smokie Y. knew how to conserve fuel also.
Shouldn't the statement be, "Smokey Y. knew how to hide fuel ???"
I don't know that Smokey won races on fuel conservation. In most books it was usually believed Smokey knew where to hide extra fuel.

Smokey Yunick was a master mechanic and one of the most intelligent innovators in NASCAR. He was an absolute ace at finding gray areas in the rules and when claims of fuel conservation were made, even by Smokey, they allude to hiding, or fudging the rules, to have more than the allocated amount of fuel.

No question Tony was coming on fast, as he passed seventeen cars before getting only to third place, but it seemed like he stalled there. There is a questionif he could have made it to Newman after buring his tires up in that good run. :D

Back
Top Bottom