So you want to try starting a team in the truck series...

These guys backed NASCAR into a corner and got their deal. They needed security and wanted more money and they got both, along with several other things. Not much different now than the ownership structures of other professional sports ... except that they don't own the sport itself. Yet.
The charter system inched Nascar closer to the ownership model of most other professional sports, but still quite a bit different. It is just a 9-year agreement, which differs from absolute ownership. UFC is similar to Nascar in business structure and business model, I think. I can't think of any others like Nascar.

"... except that they don't own the sport itself. Yet." Hmmm. Do you think that is where this is heading? I've wondered about the end game.

"... except that they don't own the sport itself. Yet." Hmmm. Do you think that is where this is heading? I've wondered about the end game.
10 teams, 4 cars each. All charters, no open qualifying. Then if that goes well financially, when Bruton dies they buy SMI and take it private. Then with half the tracks and all the cars they can go straight to the France's and threaten to pull out of his "show" if their demands aren't met. All this is assuming of course that the charter system is enough to make the race teams not only stable but growing, a big if in today's sport. One thing's for sure though, there's just too many levels of ownership all trying to make a buck off this sport and there is not enough to go around, something has to give. My first guess would be the for-profit track owners.

Hmmm...

Bernie Ecclestone leases the ARCA commercial rights for a period of 99 years, and puts the word out to all media outlets that he should be referred to as "stock car Supremo Bernie Ecclestone." He opens a small office just north of Charlotte, near the speedway. Stock car Supremo Ecclestone begins negotiating exclusivity agreements with Rick Hendrick, Roger Penske, Michael Andretti, David Letterman, and and various Russian underworld billionaires. These contracts are known as the Concord Agreement, based on the location of Bernie's office, and not to be confused with the Concorde Agreement that controls all the money in F1. BESCAR is born....

Back
Top Bottom