Sponsor Question

66mustang

What is the difference between a regular Sponsor and a marketing sponsor?

A regular sponsor is like a Home Depot, Lowes, GM Goodwrench, Interstate Batteries, Cingular, AOL, Alltell, NAPA, etc. Regular sponsors are one single company which dont have smaller divisions that they could possibly incorporate into the sponsorship deal of a car.

Marketing sponsorships would be Kellogs, General Mills, Newell-Rubbermaid, Georgia Pacific, etc. These companies are usually very large companies who own a wide range of brand products which can be incorporated into the sponsorship deal and therefore put as a paint scheme or include decals on the car. Examples are Kellogs with Frosted Flakes and their other cereals, General Mills with Cheerios and their popcorn products, Newell-Rubbermaid with Rubbermaid and Sharpie and Irwin, Georgia Pacific with their assorted paper products such as Brawny.

Because marketing sponsorships offer much more versatility for the company and the way the market their various products, we will be seeing a lot more of these marketing sponsorships in the future.

One thing is, as lucrative as Hollywood is, and with Nascar really hitting mainstream with prime time slots on NBC and FOX, we could be seeing movie companies step up and sponsor a car. Having a car in a paint scheme of the next movie to be released from the company could be something these companies look into.

One more thing...

Lets take Roush Racing for an example. I see a MAC tools logo (not the cong. sponsor) on all of the cars, including Busch's. How then can he also have IRWIN tools sponsor the same car? Wouldn't there be some sort of sponsor conflicts? Even if IRWIN only sponsored Busch and MAC tools didn't, wouldn't there also be sponsor conflicts with his teamates who are sponsored by MAC Tools and not IRWIN tools?

:blink:

Originally posted by 66mustang@Oct 24 2003, 05:43 PM
One more thing...

Lets take Roush Racing for an example. I see a MAC tools logo (not the cong. sponsor) on all of the cars, including Busch's. How then can he also have IRWIN tools sponsor the same car? Wouldn't there be some sort of sponsor conflicts? Even if IRWIN only sponsored Busch and MAC tools didn't, wouldn't there also be sponsor conflicts with his teamates who are sponsored by MAC Tools and not IRWIN tools?

:blink:
That I have no idea. Sorry.

I am very familiar with Mac tools, but I am unaware as to what type of tools that Irwin Tools distributes. If someone can answer that, then the difference in the type of tools just might be your answer.

I looked up Mac tools also and I see the same kind of tools.

Not sure I understand the queston regarding MAC Tools and Irwin.

Basically selling "sponsorships" is just a part of the business of racing. Having two or more sponsors on the car who represent the same type products presents no conflict to the team at all. Each sponsor is represented in the manner for which that sponsor ponied up the bucks. It is no different whatsoever from having say Dodge and Chevy commmericals during the same television broadcast.

The sponsor themselves can prevent this if that sponsor has a problem with it, the sponsor simply puts up enough bucks to buy exclusivity. For the right payment, the team will not sport the logos representing any competitor of the primary sponsor.

At the sponsor level, you pays your money and you makes your choices...........

I think you just answered it. I was just wondering how two tool companies could sponsor the same car.

Shucks, ol Dave used to run Warren-Anderson Ford on the rear quarter-panel of his Chevy when he came out to Riverside.

Look at HMS. Got DuPont on one car and the UAW on another. How in the heck he pulls THAT off is beyond me.

There are contingency awards for cars displaying the logo of a sponsor. Earl's, VanCamp's, TRW, Mac Tools, etc.. Remember the recently reported threats by Good Year to withdraw support of the thier tire program from JGR after Stewart went into his tirade at Dover declaring the tires were old and not consistent.

A team may or may not choose to display the sponsor logo and in the event they do not chose to do so, loose any rights associated with that sponsors program.

Case in point. A PEI car won a pole three (?) years ago. Since PEI did not display the Busch sponsorship decal ( a choice made by Richard out of respect for his mother who is anti-alcohol ) the PEI car was not eligible to run in the next Busch Clash.

To add to that, the 43, 44 and 45 because they dont display the Bud decal, are not eligible for the Budweiser Shootout.

Back
Top Bottom