Steve Park will not be back with RCR in 2004

P

Parkfan

Park out of the 30 for 2004
By DAVID POOLE
The Charlotte Observer

Steve Park will not be retained as driver of the No. 30 Chevrolets for the 2004 Winston Cup season, Richard Childress announced Tuesday.
"I want to thank Steve for stepping in and helping us," said Chidress, who hired Park earlier this season to replace Jeff Green in the No. 30 ride.

Ironically, Green went to Dale Earnhardt Inc. to drive the No. 1 Chevrolets to replace Park, creating what amounted to a driver swap between the teams.

"This is a performance-driven business and the team's performance has not been up to our expectations," Childress said. "So we decided to make a change for next season."

Park made his first start for RCR in the Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway in May. His won the pole for the Pepsi 400 at Daytona, but failed to make the field for this past week's race at Talladega in the car. His best finish for RCR has been a fifth at Michigan in August.

Childress said he has not made a decision on who will drive the No. 30 cars next year.

"We're announcing this decision now so Steve will have time to find another ride for 2004 and we will have time to find a driver for the team for next season," Childress said.

"I also want to point out that the performance of the No. 30 team at

Talladega last weekend in no way played a role in this decision and our goal is still to win a race with Steve before the season ends."

I think he's lying about Talladega, since the announcement came right after, and I as well as other Park fans on the internet, knew he was gone when he Dnq'd. Oh well we will see where he ends up. Maybe at BDR or back in the Busch Series.

Anyone think Mike Beam is the problem at the #30?

Steve has showed flashes in that car, but sometimes they have been just downright terrible.

Since AOL wants a young driver in that car, and they are in a contract season next season, I wouldnt be surprised to see Sauter in that car.

While I am disappointed for Steve, I am certainly not surprised at RCR's announcement of his not returning in 2004. (I honestly think that was a given when he was hired. JMPO) I certainly hope that Steve can find a ride with a premier team, at least a Busch team.

I hate that for Steve because I know Nextel Cup is where he wants to be but maybe this is for the best. Maybe Steve should go back to BGN and get it all back together and start over. :(

If Riggs really moves over to the #1 next season in the Cup Series, does the #10 in the Busch Series have a driver lined up? I dont think so, but I dont think they have a sponsor for next season either.

Park should regroup and get himself in a competitive situation in Busch to prove that he still has it so he can be considered for a good ride in the Cup Series in the future.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Sep 30 2003, 01:56 PM

Steve has showed flashes in that car, but sometimes they have been just downright terrible.

Since AOL wants a young driver in that car, and they are in a contract season next season, I wouldnt be surprised to see Sauter in that car.
I think Mike Beam is part of the problem. Last year when Todd Berrier was crew chief for the #30 they were the best RCR team. Than Richard pulled a sneak move with Berrier to get him away from Green and to Harvick.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Sep 30 2003, 02:01 PM
If Riggs really moves over to the #1 next season in the Cup Series, does the #10 in the Busch Series have a driver lined up? I dont think so, but I dont think they have a sponsor for next season either.

Park should regroup and get himself in a competitive situation in Busch to prove that he still has it so he can be considered for a good ride in the Cup Series in the future.
I would think if DEI wanted Riggs they would have him race a few times before the end of the year.

There should be several good rides open in Busch next year as some drivers in good equipment are not performing and others may be moving up to cup. Neither the #10 or #57 have a sponsor lined up.

Originally posted by park30fan+Sep 30 2003, 03:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (park30fan @ Sep 30 2003, 03:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan@Sep 30 2003, 01:56 PM
Anyone think Mike Beam is the problem at the #30?&nbsp;

Steve has showed flashes in that car, but sometimes they have been just downright terrible.&nbsp;

I think Mike Beam is part of the problem. Last year when Todd Berrier was crew chief for the #30 they were the best RCR team. Than Richard pulled a sneak move with Berrier to get him away from Green and to Harvick. [/b][/quote]
Actually heres the funny part, from what I heard (and from good sources) was that the original plan for the crew swap last year was the #30 and #29. Berrier to the #29 and Hamlin to the #30, with Gil Martin staying with Robby in the #31. When Green heard the news, he refused to comply, so Richard then turned to Robby, who complied, and therefore Martin went to the #29 and Hamlin to the #31. The fact that Green refused to comply was the main reason Junior was slamming RCR and their lack of teamwork.

Berrier was going to end up with Harvick anyways, that was inevitable.

Beam didnt do so well with Craven last year, maybe he is the problem.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Sep 30 2003, 02:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Sep 30 2003, 02:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -park30fan@Sep 30 2003, 03:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan
@Sep 30 2003, 01:56 PM

I think Mike Beam is part of the problem. Last year when Todd Berrier was crew chief for the #30 they were the best RCR team. Than Richard pulled a sneak move with Berrier to get him away from Green and to Harvick.
Actually heres the funny part, from what I heard (and from good sources) was that the original plan for the crew swap last year was the #30 and #29. Berrier to the #29 and Hamlin to the #30, with Gil Martin staying with Robby in the #31. When Green heard the news, he refused to comply, so Richard then turned to Robby, who complied, and therefore Martin went to the #29 and Hamlin to the #31. The fact that Green refused to comply was the main reason Junior was slamming RCR and their lack of teamwork.

Berrier was going to end up with Harvick anyways, that was inevitable.

Beam didnt do so well with Craven last year, maybe he is the problem.
[/b][/quote]
Green came to RCR on the condition Berrier would be his crew chief. If Richard wanted Berrier with Harvick, he shouldn't have hired Green.

I like Steve, Id rather see him go to a good Busch or Truck operation than with a struggling Cup team.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Sep 30 2003, 02:08 PM
I like Steve, Id rather see him go to a good Busch or Truck operation than with a struggling Cup team.
The #2 truck doesn't have a driver for next year, that'd be awesome if he and Ted were teammates.

Originally posted by park30fan@Sep 30 2003, 03:08 PM

Green came to RCR on the condition Berrier would be his crew chief. If Richard wanted Berrier with Harvick, he shouldn't have hired Green.
Well last year the #29 was the worst performing team at RCR, and we all know that Richard would not let things stay that way. ;)

That #3 is his crown jewel.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Sep 30 2003, 02:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Sep 30 2003, 02:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--park30fan@Sep 30 2003, 03:08 PM

Green came to RCR on the condition Berrier would be his crew chief.&nbsp; If Richard wanted Berrier with Harvick, he shouldn't have hired Green.
Well last year the #29 was the worst performing team at RCR, and we all know that Richard would not let things stay that way. ;)

That #3 is his crown jewel. [/b][/quote]
Exactly, and it should be that way.

Originally posted by park30fan+Sep 30 2003, 03:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (park30fan @ Sep 30 2003, 03:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan@Sep 30 2003, 02:08 PM
The #2 truck doesn't have a driver for next year, that'd be awesome if he and Ted were teammates. [/b][/quote]
Ah, yes that would be nice to see.

Jimmy has been rumored to be out of the #7 at the end of the season, dont Steve and Baldwin have history together? Modifieds maybe?

Yes they do, and if I'm not mistaken they vowed they would work together in cup oneday.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Sep 30 2003, 02:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Sep 30 2003, 02:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -park30fan@Sep 30 2003, 03:09 PM
@Sep 30 2003, 02:08 PM

The #2 truck doesn't have a driver for next year, that'd be awesome if he and Ted were teammates.
Ah, yes that would be nice to see.

Jimmy has been rumored to be out of the #7 at the end of the season, dont Steve and Baldwin have history together? Modifieds maybe? [/b][/quote]
Yep Tommy crew chiefed for him in Modifeds and they are great friends. Tommy had a chance to go to the #1 team last year but said it wasn't the right time. Maybe now is the right time to hook up with Steve.

Originally posted by bowtie@Sep 30 2003, 03:13 PM
Yes they do, and if I'm not mistaken they vowed they would together in cup oneday.
Im gonna be Jayski for a second:

Spencer to the #2 in trucks.

Park reunited with Baldwin in the #7 in the Cup Series. Sirius and their affiliates as sponsors. ;)

You heard it here first! :D

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Sep 30 2003, 02:16 PM
Siriuis and their affiliates as sponsors. ;)
Do they have a sponsorship deal together? I thought Sirius was leaving.

Originally posted by park30fan+Sep 30 2003, 02:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (park30fan @ Sep 30 2003, 02:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan@Sep 30 2003, 02:16 PM
Siriuis and their affiliates as sponsors.&nbsp; ;)
Do they have a sponsorship deal together? I thought Sirius was leaving. [/b][/quote]
I think you're right.

Originally posted by park30fan+Sep 30 2003, 03:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (park30fan @ Sep 30 2003, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan@Sep 30 2003, 02:16 PM
Siriuis and their affiliates as sponsors.&nbsp; ;)
Do they have a sponsorship deal together? I thought Sirius was leaving. [/b][/quote]
Ive seen that Sirius may re-up with the team if Circuit City and their other affiliates become involved in the sponsorship deal.

Circuit City would not be new to Nascar either, they sponsored the #8 car for Hut Stricklin a while back.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Sep 30 2003, 02:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Sep 30 2003, 02:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -park30fan@Sep 30 2003, 03:19 PM
@Sep 30 2003, 02:16 PM
Siriuis and their affiliates as sponsors.  ;)

Do they have a sponsorship deal together? I thought Sirius was leaving.
Ive seen that Sirius may re-up with the team if Circuit City and their other affiliates become involved in the sponsorship deal.

Circuit City would not be new to Nascar either, they sponsored the #8 car for Hut Stricklin a while back. [/b][/quote]
Ok, so it would be kind of like the Kerry Earnhardt deal where you have 5 different sponsors on the car 6 times each during the year as the primary?

Originally posted by park30fan@Sep 30 2003, 02:24 PM

Ok, so it would be kind of like the Kerry Earnhardt deal where you have 5 different sponsors on the car 6 times each during the year as the primary?
Not a bad idea for several companies that cannot afford the full meal deal to do that.

They say at Jayski.com either Scott Riggs or Jeremy Mayfield or Ward Burton could be in the 30 or whatever ride theyll use.

Raises up a whole new question, who would take over the 19 if Mayfield leaves Evernham Motorsports.

I dug it up, and its not Circuit City but Best Buy. Whoops. :lol:

From Jayski:

Ultra Close to a sponsor? #7 Ultra Motorsports owner Jim Smith hopes to reach a deal soon that will KEEP Sirius Satellite Radio on the #7 Dodge and should know within the next week or so. It would involve working with some of Sirius' partners, like Best Buy.(Winston Cup Scene page 22 - need sub to read)(9-28-2003

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Sep 30 2003, 02:30 PM
I dug it up, and its not Circuit City but Best Buy. Whoops. :lol:

From Jayski:

Ultra Close to a sponsor? #7 Ultra Motorsports owner Jim Smith hopes to reach a deal soon that will KEEP Sirius Satellite Radio on the #7 Dodge and should know within the next week or so. It would involve working with some of Sirius' partners, like Best Buy.(Winston Cup Scene page 22 - need sub to read)(9-28-2003
Has Best Buy ever been a sponsor before?

From Steve's website

Steve Park Explores Options for 2004

MOORESVILLE, NC (September 30, 2003) - NASCAR driver Steve Park will complete the 2003 Winston Cup season with the Richard Childress Racing (RCR) team as driver of the #30 AOL Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Park will not return to RCR in 2004 and intends to explore his options for the upcoming NEXTEL Cup season immediately.

Park, a two-time winner in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series, has won two poles (Fontana & Daytona) and scored one top-five and three top-ten finishes so far this season.

"I've had a great experience with RCR and Richard has been very supportive throughout our relationship. I greatly appreciate him giving me the opportunity to drive for his organization this season," stated Park. "I feel that I am in the best physical shape I have ever been and I know that I still have a lot to look forward to as a winning driver."

Park's career statistics during his six year career in the Winston Cup Series include two wins, four poles, 12 top-5 finishes and 35 top-10 finishes.

1708738_18_1.jpg

I am goin with the one on the far left! :D :D

UPDATE from Jayski.com: Steve Park will complete the 2003 Winston Cup season with the Richard Childress Racing (RCR) team as driver of the #30 AOL Chevy. Park will not return to RCR in 2004 and intends to explore his options for the upcoming NEXTEL Cup season immediately. To date in 2003, Park has won two poles (Fontana & Daytona) and scored one top-five and three top-10 finishes. “I’ve had a great experience with RCR and Richard has been very supportive throughout our relationship. I greatly appreciate him giving me the opportunity to drive for his organization this season,” stated Park. “I feel that I am in the best physical shape I have ever been and I know that I still have a lot to look forward to as a winning driver.” Park’s career statistics during his six year career in the Winston Cup Series include two wins, four poles, 12 top-5 finishes and 35 top-10 finishes.(Elevation Group PR)(9-30-2003)

I think Park may go to the 22 car and for the 30 i think itll be either johnny sauter, scott riggs ron hornaday or may be paul tracy? thatd be sweet but i doubt the last one.

AOL said Ward Burton was too old to be their driver so that would also rule out Hornaday, Nemechek and any other older drivers looking for a ride.

Simply not surprised and seriously doubt that Steve will find himself in any kind of quality ride for some time to come if ever again.

Most of the top dog teams have their own private little farm teams going. Steve had his chance, and imo that chance is now gone.

I agree 71,IMO Steve is done as a cup driver, i seriously doubt he will end up in Busch and if he does it won't be for very long. You might see him hook up a ride in the trucks with Toyota coming in. DW 's team comes to mind, he is starting a Toyota team i beleive, and i know he thinks highly of Park. That is purely just speculation on my part, but it might be good for him. I really doubt he will stay in Cup and if he does it won't be for long next year i'm afraid. Too bad because he is really a cool guy, got to meet him when he was running Mods back in NE. ,just before he made the big time....real nice guy.

i think park should go to petty.also petty should get rid of fittipadi and sign park and green. that would be huge.

If Ward leaves Bill Davis for another team perhaps RCR, then Steve Park might be in a Bill Davis car.

That would be cool if my two favorite drivers drove for the same team, but I don't think Kyle wants to run 3 teams and they may have trouble finding another sponsor. Plus, doesn't Christian get paid a lot? I'm not sure if they would get rid of their big investment so quickly. I think Steve may end up at BDR.

Back
Top Bottom