Texas World Speedway Closing

Nichodemus

Team Owner
Forgive me if this has been brought up before; I searched but didn't see anything. The story is a little bit old now, but apparently Texas World Speedway will be torn down to make way for a housing development.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/article_f3d71416-b637-11e3-96a7-001a4bcf887a.html

I went to the site expecting to see a lot of empty schedules, but it looks like they have stuff going on there every weekend. Still, I guess it takes a lot of money to keep up a track of that size.

Here's an article on Jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/why-texas-world-speedway-must-be-saved-1543680020

Same thing happened to a local track 30 mins up the road from me. Turned into a trailer park. Very sad

So sick of land owners deciding to sell out to developers. SoCal used to be littered with racetracks. Not anymore.

I don't get why this development has to take place ON the track when there is plenty of empty land waiting to be developed just beside the track.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.535355,-96.218691&spn=0.044578,0.084543&t=h&z=14

To be fair, the track is in a horrible state of repairs and would probably need millions of dollars to bring it back to life, and I doubt NASCAR or anyone else is going to sink money into this track when Texas Motor Speedway is merely 3 hours away. Also, Texas World Speedway seem to be in the same situation that Rockingham is in. A track in the middle of nowhere and no infrastructure in place for a NASCAR weekend.

I kinda wish there was another racing series that could use tracks like Rockingham and Texas World Speedway, a racing series that could rival NASCAR, but I doubt anyone is willing to take on the giant.

From 2005 thru 2010 my car club did car club track days once a year at TWS, some of my fondest memories are from those track days. At our last track day back in 2010 the folks at TWS told everyone that the track was having trouble staying open after the unexpected death of the track owner that year. Nichodemus have you been to the track and seen the grand stands that TWS tells people they can't go onto because they are about to crumble down? They only use the front stretch of the old oval the back stretch they don't because it's falling apart.

Last time I went me and another guy got stuck on the track grounds after they closed and we broke out to get to our hotel, what a fun memory.

From 2005 thru 2010 my car club did car club track days once a year at TWS, some of my fondest memories are from those track days. At our last track day back in 2010 the folks at TWS told everyone that the track was having trouble staying open after the unexpected death of the track owner that year. Nichodemus have you been to the track and seen the grand stands that TWS tells people they can't go onto because they are about to crumble down? They only use the front stretch of the old oval the back stretch they don't because it's falling apart.

Last time I went me and another guy got stuck on the track grounds after they closed and we broke out to get to our hotel, what a fun memory.

No, I've never been there. Just heard it mentioned on and off over the years. I was surprised to see a fairly active schedule and a road course, though. I didn't realize they don't race it as an oval anymore because its falling apart? Wow. That says a lot.

I am spearheading an effort to save Texas World Speedway since it was the only NASCAR, INDY CAR facility in Texas for several years as far as the track issues it is not the track surface that is the issue it is the grandstands fairly simple fix I have brought it to the attention of the Governors Office here and hav sent in multiple documents the senate of the state will be voting sometime this week to make it a State Historical Site and to give owners financial support to refurbish the entire facility hope all goes well on the vote the track is a big part of our states history it opened in 1969

Because 95% of potential new home buyers don't want to buy a new $600k house right next to an airport or racetrack.
I know I am probably one of the few that would love to live next door to a track but the whole thing is that it is a historical track and should not be torn down it is still fully operational
a while back they had a Indy Car team out there testing on the oval was great to see that again I am sure it will be fine if not i got my cash stash to go buy somethings from there as memories
take care my friend let ya know how it turns out

This is where your post goes off the rails.
Maybe so but things like this I will stand up for and I will fight no problems there have been way too many great tracks distroyed in the past

Its a business.

"Would more money be made with a race track here, a neighborhood, an amusement park here, etc...?"

More economic profit > tradition

Its a business.

"Would more money be made with a race track here, a neighborhood, an amusement park here, etc...?"

More economic profit > tradition
repair the track get her back to full operation it would be a money maker for the city no doubt

I have been to TWS so many times went to my first race with my dad at TWS in 1970 and every year upto 1993 then the weekend events every weekend I first met Dale Earnhardt Sr there, Mario Andretti, Richard Petty
Harry Gant wow really now tear it down why to put f*&%in houses na dont think so too much avalible land around there. I am done for now heading to Austin

if they vote it to be state historical site the state will get it back to par

I wasn't aware that the state had money of it's own to spend in such a fashion. Oh, wait .. you mean the tax payer will pay to get it back to par. The non-fan, non-seat paying, not interested at all in funding a privately owned race track ... those are the people you want to pay for it .. with no recompense. Interesting.

if they vote it to be state historical site the state will get it back to par then owner has to maintain it
In other words, the Texas taxpayers will get stuck with the bill.

Taxpayer money should NEVER be used to pay for a private, for-profit sports facility. If one can't turn enough of a profit over the long term to pay off required repairs, it should remain closed. That included my beloved Rockingham.

I am spearheading an effort to save Texas World Speedway since it was the only NASCAR, INDY CAR facility in Texas for several years as far as the track issues it is not the track surface that is the issue it is the grandstands fairly simple fix I have brought it to the attention of the Governors Office here and hav sent in multiple documents the senate of the state will be voting sometime this week to make it a State Historical Site and to give owners financial support to refurbish the entire facility hope all goes well on the vote the track is a big part of our states history it opened in 1969

Welcome to the forum Ghostriderbrian . Great project you are undertaking . Hope you keep us updated

Nah. Some gas stations, a pizza joint, a spa, and some chinese food resturants.

It all depends on where you put it. Rutland, Vermont probably has the best Wal-Mart set up. They put it in downtown to help revitalize their downtown and it has worked to some degree.

Of course it killed their mall, but that mall generally sucks anyway and the mall probably killed downtown to begin with.

It all depends on where you put it. Rutland, Vermont probably has the best Wal-Mart set up. They put it in downtown to help revitalize their downtown and it has worked to some degree.

Of course it killed their mall, but that mall generally sucks anyway and the mall probably killed downtown to begin with.
Its a dog eat dog world.

Back
Top Bottom