The British are coming!

V

Vern Demerest

Travis Carter has formed an international alliance to add a second Winston Cup car next season. The longtime owner is partnering with Torquespeed, an England-based motorsports team that has raced on 1.5 to 2-mile ovals in Europe since 2000. Carter mostly has fielded only one car since sponsorship problems forced him to downsize in 2002. He joined with Sam Belnavis before this season. "We would like to be a two-car operation, and this helps," he said. "The thing that is most intriguing about Torquespeed is they are one of the few groups that come to you with a true business plan. They have the funding to support their goals." Torquespeed spokesman Paul Musselle said the team has secured enough investors for a four-year commitment to Winston Cup. The new team would like to field a European driver, and John Mickel of Cambridge, England, will be testing the team's car.(Richmond Times Dispatch)(10-12-2003)

Why not but I guess a lot will be angry. A sponsor is just that, a sponsor!

Isnt the first time Travis Carter looked to international markets for help. Remember Hideo Fukuyama? We all know how that worked out. :lol:

Kept the doors open at the shop. :D

Outside the box thinking is about the only thing that is going keep a whole lot of teams from going belly-up. I hope it works out for him.

And btw, in case anybody is wondering......

Through 542 races as a NASCAR Winston Cup Series crew chief, garnered 2 Championships, 31 wins and 41 poles.

It's not like the old guy doesn't know what he's doing.

Whatever it takes to make it with the big boys today!!!

Originally posted by whiteflaglap@Oct 12 2003, 06:10 PM
Whatever it takes to make it with the big boys today!!!
Well that's just it, even getting a car in a Cup race is a HUGE accomplishment. From what I understand a single race sponsorship deal on a mid to back packer is something like a quarter mill.

I talked to Mrs. Dave one day and asked her if it was possible to make money when finishing last. Her answer was that since their team is tiny AND if it's a nearby track AND if they don't break anything.....barely.

But ya gotta remember, all their stuff is already paid for but if they want a motor that can keep up it ain't gonna happen unless somebody puts some money up.

Those teams that run at the back on shoestrings, dreams, hard work, and hope are my real heros. They might not ever even finish on the lead lap but that doesn't mean anything except that they mostly just don't have the cars to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom