The cost of fielding a field filler

Thise numbers are close but not right on the money. A field filler need not rent a motor. If they buy one or two tired engines and rebuild them from parts taken from fully funded teams such as RCR or HMS for example, they can survive without the $25,000 weekly expenditure.

Most of these teams replace many internal engine parts after one event to reduce the potential of fatigue. Many times these parts are sold to other regulars struggling within the series.

No one can fault Belmont for making the numbers as high as he can because there is no way a team running as a unsponsored backpacker can beging to compete with the fully funded, plus, teams.

For the most part, Belmont's numbers are fair and reasonably accurate but not exact. Either way, he is doing what he wants to do and under the circumstances, not doing too badly. He deserves to be in the filed as long as he is approved by the sanctioning body as a driver, the race car passes inspection and he qualifies through either the qualifying process or provisional start allocation.

I wonder how many would endure the hardships on a weekly basis to enter a NASCAR race before they threw in thetowel and said the heck with it ??? There is more to this than money for Belmont or most of the teams.

Either way. 2000 dollars aint much money. By the time Uncle Sam gets his part your left with nothing. :)

Still, this is the most detailed accounting I've ever seen published. I think from this you can figure out where the start and parkers can trim a few dollars from these expenses and make a profit simply starting and parking.

I don't consider Belmont a start and parker. He at least tries to run as long as the equipment holds up.

You have to give Cope and Belmont credit. they stay as long as they can. Not like Rutman. :angry:

You gotta feel a little sorry for the guys, knowing they have 2nd rate machines, and racing anyways in hopes that they will be discovered.

I guess you do what you have to....

+ there are plenty of guys who WISH they were as lucky as those 'fillers'.....

How come everyone is so down on Joe Ruttman?
Joe has proven his ability in the top series quite some time ago.
Now he is driving for a team that isn't willing to expend the time, money or effort in an attempt to be competitive, fans are resorting to calling him names.

James Finch, Joe's car owner, has been fielding a very competitive Busch team for quite some time now; I'm sure he could make a much better showing in the Cup series. But why should he? He pays Joe to get the car in the show, make a few laps and takes home the check.
If you folks want to point the finger of blame, at least find out the proper direction to point it in.
Joe just drives the car and does what he's told.

Well I just hope all this opens a few eyes out here in fandom. It really irks me when I hear the constant whining and complaining about "field fillers". In many ways those guys are more devoted to the racing and the NASCAR series than the big buck guys. Let 'em race. You don't have to cheer them on, but it would be nice if you showed them a little respect..........they certainly deserve that much.

I don't have a problem with feild fillers. Or may I say the ones that get out there and gives it their best shot. And run as long as they can. But someone like Rutman gets on my last nerve. Runs 7- 10 laps then parks it. Get his check and go home. :angry:

I don't like the term field fillers at all.....seems very demeaning.

If you want to get technical about it, Bill Elliott is a "field filler" at Texas, as he has no sponsor.

It was a good article, i dont mind the field fillers, even Ruttman as long as they dont cause problems or keep cars that are in it to run as long as possible out of the race then they can do what they want.. Everyone has to make a living and maybe one Ruttman keeps parking it, he'll get enough money to actually start running more then 20 laps

Originally posted by LeDoux22@Apr 2 2004, 04:13 PM
It was a good article, i dont mind the field fillers, even Ruttman as long as they dont cause problems or keep cars that are in it to run as long as possible out of the race then they can do what they want.. Everyone has to make a living and maybe one Ruttman keeps parking it, he'll get enough money to actually start running more then 20 laps
Now that's a pretty fair assessment of it all...............I'm in 100% agreement with you!! :D :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom