The Waltrips

BenzTech99

Team Owner
Is anyone else really tired of the Waltrips on TV? I found myself rolling my eyes almost every time they opened their mouths during the broadcast this week. I respect what they both have done in their driving careers, but can Fox not find better people to do those jobs?

Mikey is flat out terrible.

DW I think I would miss if they got rid of him. He says things from time to time that leave you scratching your head (Mike Joy has plenty of his own cringe worthy moments as well) but for the most part I don't pay a ton of attention to what they are saying unless it's a pivotal moment in the race.

I would love to see Larry Mac in the booth with Gordon.

Is anyone else really tired of the Waltrips on TV? I found myself rolling my eyes almost every time they opened their mouths during the broadcast this week. I respect what they both have done in their driving careers, but can Fox not find better people to do those jobs?

If the TV is not already muted and Mikey comes on I hit the mute button and fast forward through his crap. DW was a great driver and one of the all time best so he has my respect but I do think he should hang it up and let someone like Carl Edwards take over.

If they limit Mikey to the pre race stuff (grid walk, etc) I can tolerate him in small doses. Can't stand him in the booth during a race.

DW tries too hard. He always has to say something just for the sake of being heard. If I had a dollar for every time he said someone's in the "catbird seat" I'd be rich. Oh and did you guys know Kyle Larson likes to run the high line?!? He needs to boogity himself out of the booth and into retirement.

Larry Mac alongside JG would be awesome.

If they limit Mikey to the pre race stuff (grid walk, etc) I can tolerate him in small doses. Can't stand him in the booth during a race.

DW tries too hard. He always has to say something just for the sake of being heard. If I had a dollar for every time he said someone's in the "catbird seat" I'd be rich. Oh and did you guys know Kyle Larson likes to run the high line?!? He needs to boogity himself out of the booth and into retirement.

Larry Mac alongside JG would be awesome.

YES! I thought I was the only one. Just eye-roll after eye-roll...

In my opinion we've lost a lot of new fans after they tune in and see Michael Waltrip acting a fool and getting things confused that were easy to understand in the first place. Any time he's on screen on my TV, he's muted

Mikey is like finger nails on the chalk board. Saturday in my mancave, I have music playing and the tv on in mute mode if the xfinity race is on. For some odd reason, he cant keep his hands off the other commentators. He is thee most annoying person to every get behind a microphoney. He's as bad a whoopie goldberg!

After seeing them air a clip of DW racing at, I guess, Texas during the broadcast yesterday, I don't think Fox is going to be much help.

If I hear DW, aka dim wit, describe how he wanted to know how far ahead he was when he crossed the line compared to the next car behind him I'm going to take up drinking,,heavily.

Dumb and Dumber

If I hear DW, aka dim wit, describe how he wanted to know how far ahead he was when he crossed the line compared to the next car behind him I'm going to take up drinking,,heavily.

Dumb and Dumber

Ugh. I know.

2nd place is at the line......................................now.

Theres too many voices in the broadcast. 2 is fine with me. We have the broadcast booth, the race break booth & Larry in his own little box. Way too much going on.

The whole broadcast is cliché and corny honestly. They say things that you can see coming a mile away.

Michael Waltrip and is sidekick can both go as far as I'm concerned. I have no problem with Mike, Jeff and DW. Larry Mac , good guy , but what he brings to the Brodcast is pretty weak. They really don't need him. Those other two clowns, for the love of God , GET RID OF THEM !!!!!!

YES YES YES, every week in the Nascar Fan Survey I ask them to get rid of the Waltrips.
Me also. And have been doing so for years to no avail.

Sad to see Darrell Waltrip as he is today. Is for me - he may disagree.

He was winnin’ cup races driving for DiGard when he showed up at the local short thing one Saturday night. He ‘n the promoter went way back. Guess he was cuttin’ him a favor. Waltrip didn’t need to be there. He had already arrived as a cup driver. He sure drew a crowd ‘n 90% of ‘em were boooin’.

Had an immaculate Nova, belonged to him. The canted 88s (when an 88 was a threat to win at anytime) moved up to the front wheel wells ‘n “Gatorade” larger than what DiGard had on the cup cars (NASCAR rules) fillin’ the rest of the sides.

Wasn’t sure the race was gonna go due to rain. When it cleared he put up the fast time on a track he didn’t see every week. Fact is I don’t know if he’d ever seen it before. First time I’d seen ‘im there ‘n at the time I didn’t miss many.

Anyway, the race started ‘n he took off with Tommy Ellis chasin’ ‘im but losin’ ground. A couple regular guys got into it goin’ into four ‘n splashed water, grass ‘n mud on the track. Waltrip got into it – in time for Ellis to see it ‘n back off - ‘n he held that car off the fence, dead sideways onto the front stretch. Think he finished out of the top five though.

He stood on the track after the race. Folks kept him in beers wrapped in red rags ‘n he stayed there until anyone who wanted to talk to him or get him to scribble his name on somethin’ had an opportunity to do so. Even held a couple babies for pictures. I shook his hand ‘n told him he did a hell of a job holdin’ the car off the fence. The boy looked me dead the eyes, didn't let go of my hand ‘n thanked me for sayin’ so. It was a sincere expression of gratitude. To this day I believe he desperately wanted the fans’ approval 'n he was happy he'd gotten it from me.

I thought the world of Buddy Baker, still do. Baker made an appearance at the same track a couple years earlier. Drove a car owned by a local. Waved at the crowd durin’ driver intros. Parked it after a couple laps. Had somethin’ in his eye. No where to be found after the race.

Put all that on the board outta respect for what Waltrip was 'n in hopes the younguns understand he wasn’t always just an obnoxious noise on Fox broadcasts. In his prime, he could hold his own with anyone.

I, for one, won’t forget that.

Mikey is a clown and a never-was. I like DW, he's a hoot when the microphones are cold.
I can't stand Larry Mac, I hope his booth career is over.

With how much D.W. clowns around in teh booth it makes you forget how great of a driver he was. Not good, GREAT

3 titles and 3 2nd place finishes in the standings and 84 wins is nothing to laugh at

Does anyone know how D.W. was as an announcer before he joine dup with FOX?

I know he did some Busch series and IROC races.

I wonder how much of his broadcasting is influenced by Fox?

DW is DW. The only thing missing is the racers edge. That left him when he retired. Seemed to me that back when he was racing he still carried on. He @#!%#* with your head as a driver, now that part is gone. "JAWS " is retired.

DW is DW. The only thing missing is the racers edge. That left him when he retired. Seemed to me that back when he was racing he still carried on. He @#!%#* with your head as a driver, now that part is gone. "JAWS " is retired.
I agree. What DW is lacking in the booth is intensity and speaking his own mind. It seems now he is more worried about trying to be funny and towing the company line (NASCAR and FOX). That is also the reason I miss Kyle Petty in the booth...he didn't give 2 f**** about speaking his mind and being himself.

They kinda sorta did the intro for Craven-Busch. Get’s any better’n that I hope I’m alive to see it.

I had tickets for my wife ‘n myownself. That was our last year without a child we called our own. We were regulars for the Rebel race. I’d load up on enough go-bang stuff from Pedro’s place to trip an investigation by Homeland Security today. The ole gal workin’ in the ticket office used to be a neighbor of Paul Sawyer’s here in da beach when da beach was Princess Anne County ‘n Chinese Corner was where the city’s reform school is today. ‘Bout two miles from where I sit, closer as the eagle flies.

Had the time off. Father took ill ‘n wound up hospitalized – he ‘n the family needed me here. We missed it. No regrets.

That was DW in his prime. He, Petty ‘n Allison deserve huge applause for that one. Hell of a race.

I getting tired of DW but I can still stand him.
Off the other hand I have said this time and time again, Michael should be duct-taped and thrown into a closet, so annoying

I understand that D.W. was a helluva' driver in his day.... so full of himself in his first days..... then... toward the end..... acted foolish... I will always remember when he won the '89 Daytona 500..... I know he was happy to finally win but ..... he acted silly.... and when interviewed in his last years... always acted goofy and mentioned Jessica and Stevie all the time......

But..... I listened to him talk on that Prayer Breakfast a couple years ago... or whatever it is... can't recall the actual name of it ..it's around Christmas time........ I was actually in awe listening to what he said....... he gained a lot of respect from me that day.

I enjoy Michael's grid walk but that's about it. Keep him out of the booth. Don't mind DW.

That's actually the most cringiest part of what he does. LOL

I guess they're trying to go for the F1 grid walk they do. Those dont always work great either. Awkward most of the time.

In his prime, he could hold his own with anyone.

I, for one, won’t forget that.

Same. However, a quieter, more graceful retirement from the pointy end of the racetrack would have been nice.

See Mario Andretti, Dan Gurney and more recently, Nico Rosberg.

With Michael Waltrip and Jeff Gordon you have an unbalanced motor in the booth.

One of them has to go, very awkward exchanges and no smooth transitions, just one talking over the other.

The issue with commentary is industry wide. For whatever reason sport radio and tv producers decided every millisecond must be filled with someone talking, even when the situation doesn't call for it. Football telecasts are really getting bad, play by play commentators are injecting their own opinions, and color commentators have to yap endlessly over every insignificant action/inaction on the field, or some bullcrap less than fun fact they either pulled out of their ass or the producers gave them to read.

Back
Top Bottom