Thinking ahead.

N

N2racin44

Dale Jarrett's career is in its twilight. He has said that he would like to stay in the car until he reaches 50. That would be three more seasons. Funny, that is when his contract runs up with both UPS and RYR. So how does one begin deciding what driver to root for after thier current driver retires? Does one stick with the team with whoever they replace their driver with? There really is not too many other drivers that put a smile on my face when they win. First time winners always get me going but as far as established drivers are a short list. Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, Bobby Lobonte. I dunno, just can not fathem dropping all this money to buy new gear for a new driver.

What did you like about Dale to begin with?Ever asked yourself that question? Personality,ability? A combination? I asked myself the same questions when it became clear Mark Martin was beginning to show his age a little. Clearly, Busch has little in common personality-wise with Martin so I went with the Roush factor and because I like the #97! Not to mention the skill the kid has. Not the most scientific way to pick a driver---but still the best way I could determine.

Good luck.

( and Greg Biffle would be a good choice,man! :) )

I will have to agree with 97 ( :eek: ) in regards to picking a driver. I had absolutely no clue who Jeff Gordon was when he first got into the Dupont #24. I actually started rooting for the #24 simply because my father retired from Dupont. It was what put a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food in my mouth for many years. Only after watching this "kid" drive a race car did I actually start paying attention to the driver. I have and always will be a fan of Dale Earnhardt, Sr.. And, you will always be able to associate Richard Petty with Nascar, too.

As for picking a new driver to "root" for, like 97 said, figure out what DJ has/had that drew you to like him in the first place. You can use that as a benchmark for the eventual choosing of a new driver when the need arises.

DJ caught my eye at the ripe age of 16. His first career win at Michigan. Then I began to follow him a little closer after his win in 93 with his dad calling the race. I became a hardcore fan back in 1995 when he started to drive for RYR. I thought I had made a mistake when he started wrecking damn near every week. 1996 was a great year and 1997 was even better. I had a bet with an ex girlfriend that DJ would be JG that year for the championship that year. Only lost by 14 points. It bothers me with the way he has been running this year. I know he has the ability to wheel a race car. He is just in slump that I have a feeling is he is not going to come out of. DJ busted his ass like most older drivers have done to get into this sport. He was just not handed the steering wheel to a quality ride like most young drivers are today. I am rambling here but I really hope NASCAR goes back to the but spoiler and softer tires. Tire management was one of DJ's best skills. It'll be hard to root for another driver but it is something I'll have to deal with when the time comes.

"I will have to agree with 97" by Majestyx

(It is the end of the world as we know it folks. I learned to post in color and Maj agrees with me! Creepy.)

Originally posted by N2racin88@Oct 20 2003, 11:02 AM
DJ caught my eye at the ripe age of 16. His first career win at Michigan. Then I began to follow him a little closer after his win in 93 with his dad calling the race. I became a hardcore fan back in 1995 when he started to drive for RYR. I thought I had made a mistake when he started wrecking damn near every week. 1996 was a great year and 1997 was even better. I had a bet with an ex girlfriend that DJ would be JG that year for the championship that year. Only lost by 14 points. It bothers me with the way he has been running this year. I know he has the ability to wheel a race car. He is just in slump that I have a feeling is he is not going to come out of. DJ busted his ass like most older drivers have done to get into this sport. He was just not handed the steering wheel to a quality ride like most young drivers are today. I am rambling here but I really hope NASCAR goes back to the but spoiler and softer tires. Tire management was one of DJ's best skills. It'll be hard to root for another driver but it is something I'll have to deal with when the time comes.
Back on topic:

Dale may in fact still break this curret slump,IMO. While not so sure about Martin due to Jack Roush's hot and cold record, I feel more optimistic about the Yates guys.

Look at Sadler's running lately:except for bad luck and circumstances,he would have been the 'best-in-class(parity,NASCAR style) the last several weeks.

And that bodes actually rather well for Yates as a whole.Dale was horrible a dozen races ago but now seems to be picking up the pieces a bit. I wouldn't give up prematurely. Of all the mid-40's driver Dale and Wallace seem to be the most likely to regain form.

Well when D.E. died I had problem deciding who to pull for. I actually pull for no driver exclusivley but mostly for Chevy drivers. I don't think I will ever pull for anybody like I pulled for D.E. :(

Originally posted by 97forever@Oct 20 2003, 11:03 AM
"I will have to agree with 97" by Majestyx

(It is the end of the world as we know it folks. I learned to post in color and Maj agrees with me! Creepy.)
Don't get carried away there, 97. :D

Originally posted by bowtie@Oct 20 2003, 04:26 PM
Well when D.E. died I had problem deciding who to pull for. I actually pull for no driver exclusivley but mostly for Chevy drivers. I don't think I will ever pull for anybody like I pulled for D.E. :(
right there with you ! Don't think i will ever follow anyone like i did dale

Originally posted by bowtie@Oct 20 2003, 11:26 AM
Amen

hell the only reason I pull for jr. is because he's the son of a legend and I hope to god he'll shine like his dad did.
If sr. was still alive I would ride that ship until it would'nt sail no more.

I've been trying to remember who told be this, but I can't. So I'll just say that someone once told me, "You don't choose your favorite, he chooses you."

I know choosing mine was not an analytic process. I just liked Ricky Rudd because I liked Ricky Rudd.

I had seen Harvick race a couple of times in Busch. But I was a big, big Dale Earnhardt. When he got killed and found out Harvick was going to be driving Dale's car. I went with Harvick. Mainly because he was driving a repainted #3. But now I pull for Harvick because he is good.

Man, I am with you N2racin88. I am a huge fan of DJ's. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I like RYR and I like Elliot Saddler. Maybe him?! But nobody else out there right now am I as passionate about winning. I became a DJ fan after the '93 Daytona 500 win. He thanked the Lord for his win. That was important to me. Also how supportive his Dad and Mom was. That is still my favorite race ever. Hopefully something similar will happen with another driver that I will get my attention. I really don't have any of the young guns that appeal to me.

I also hope, and I think they will, that the 88 team will get back to championship form. They have improved tremendously over the last couple of months. I don't want him to retire while in a slump or doing as poorly as this year. I want him to be remembered for the GREAT driver that he is.

Lee

I love DJ for his upbeat attitude and his driving skills. I would love nothing better to see him start next year out with a win and keep on going. Not every driver can have a stellar year every year. He's far from finished and I'll keep cheering for him as long as he's behind the wheel of the 88. DJ's my main man but I also have a eye on some of the other drivers. I really like Ryan Newman. He just goes out there and get's the job done. He's one smart driver and I like his style. But then again I also like Kurt Bush. (leave me alone 97!) I like his skill and his take nothing attitude. But then again I also like some of the others that will remain nameless! (no 97 it's not Greg Biffle, he needs a personality transplant!) As long as DJ's in the mix he's my guy, but it never hurts to have a backup! :)

It's pretty much a no-brainer why I like Matt (I live 20 miles from Matt's hometown of Cambridge, WI). But I wasn't a fan of his until he was in the Busch Series.

When I first started watching Nascar...I didn't really have a fav, but I always pulled for Alan Kulwicki (until he passed). Also pulled for Mark Martin, Ted Musgrave & Rusty Wallace. All drivers from up here or who spent alot of time racing up here in WI.

Not 100% sure why, but when Dale Jarrett switched to Robert Yates and drove the #28, I became a big fan of his. I always liked RYR and liked Davey when he was their driver and was excited when they started the #88 team when Ernie came back.

"But then again I also like Kurt Bush. (leave me alone 97!) "

:) Well,well,well........I will have to see what I can do with this bit of good news,sg!! :p

I've been thinking the same thing as of late. DJ is the man. I like Ryan 'Rocketman' Newman. I think I will pull for him once DJ quits. I'd like to see DJ have a couple good years before he retires.

Back
Top Bottom