Time for FOX to wake up

E

Eagle1

Posted on April 11, 2004

By Mike

I’m an avid fan of FOX. They have the most knowledgeable broadcast crew utilizing past drivers and crew chiefs to give us insight to the weekly events. Problem is, the producers at FOX don’t let them utilize their talents, particularly in the Busch series.

Speedway Media

Pretty good article with some very good points.

Sign of the times????? Interesting read.
Keeps getting scarier, and scarier.

Well I emailed the article to Totally Nascar. I wonder if they will let McReynolds or Hammond address it... :lol:

As much as I love Junior, I'm sure glad I was at the race in person, rather than trying to follow it on TV.

BGN has some great racing if the TV people would promote it.

NBC did the same thing last year, I forgot who it was in the booth, I think it was tony stewart working the in-car and they went back and forth the same way they did with jr., now if they did this every other week or like twice a month then I could understand the reason to gripe.

I actually found it entertaining, but the networks really need to show more of the races and stop with fluff, IMO.

it's not fox, it's not the morons in the booth,
It's nascar !
brian and company are not only doin their best to kill cup racin but they are doin a damn good job killin the bush guys to. Honestly i don't hav a clue what is goin on in brian and companys mind except how much $$ they can make before the bottom falls out.

I turned the TV off! I did not tune in to watch someone playing video games or listen to announcers going on like this guy was about to discover a cure for cancer - How in heck can these guys even look in the mirror after a display like that.

As much as I've enjoyed Nascar over the past 20 years I'm seriously considering playing golf in the afternoon instead of in the morning.

Originally posted by de7xwcc@Apr 13 2004, 01:35 PM
it's not fox, it's not the morons in the booth,
It's nascar !
brian and company are not only doin their best to kill cup racin but they are doin a damn good job killin the bush guys to. Honestly i don't hav a clue what is goin on in brian and companys mind except how much $$ they can make before the bottom falls out.
What is NASCAR doing wrong ????

Blaming them for falling ratings is not thier fault. If you think it is, why ???

In today's world, NASCAR is media driven. Dollars gained from television are shared and approved by teams and promoters alike.

People DO NOT stay away because "Junior" is in the booth. "Junior" is a top talent and popular driver, but his sitting in the booth is not the reason the Busch Series is struggling both on the track and in weekly television ratings. If anything, "Junior's" legion of fans are more likely to bring bigger numbers to watch the Busch Series broadcast if fans knew he was a regular.

The major problem within the series is the high cost of racing.
NASCAR needs to examine cost factors they can control.
But NASCAR is not the one who made the sport so expensive in the first place. That responsibility of making the sport so expensive falls on the teams.

Perfect examples of why costs are so high.
Start-out teams cannot compete with the dollars thrown at the Childress, Hendrick, Roush/Wood/Yates, or JGR teams. Garages of these teams are status symbols more than work places.
Media articles report as many as seventeen graduate engineers employed by one team.
Increased cost comes from trying to win another race or a championship, relegating the other lesser financed teams to become the "field filler".

Guaranteed the biggest cause of rising costs was not NASCAR. Body changes to conform with templates on the surface is not a big deal but it becomes a big deal when the numerous engineers in charge of aero spend countless hours and test time in the wind tunnel seeking the advantage of one-half m.p.h..

The side effect was and always will be, dollars bring technology and speed. If things continue the way they are, NASCAR will become like CART, where high rollers bought into and strangled the series by forcing the lesser financed teams out of the picture. Now, CART is gone. Is a similar fate in store for NASCAR ???

whizzer, i don't recall sayin anything about ratings and unless the link is messed up the artical didn't talk about ratings,

maybe that i have blinders on but seems to me if i was in nascars position i would be having a say in what is broadcast. yeah the networks paid big $$$ for broadcast rights by i would like to think bill france wasn't stupid enough to give away the rights to the way nascar is presented to the general public.

I like fox, but what i dont like is they are always saying something about the cup race durrin the bush race and durrin the cup race they dont talk about the bush very much. i still have not seen "the big one" from the bush race at daytona. cause i never did see it durrin the 500.

If anything, "Junior's" legion of fans are more likely to bring bigger numbers to watch the Busch Series broadcast if fans knew he was a regular.

By golly, there's the answer. Cancel the Busch races altogether. Why waste all that money and risk lives just to watch cars drive around in a circle. Fox can just show us Lil'E playing video games. The announce team can ooh and ahh over him like they do every week any way. Then for a change of pace he can challenge other drivers to play against him. They could do interviews between the games. Hey, where do I sign up.

Or, they could begin to cover the race and treat Lil'E like they do all of the other owners in Busch. Mainly ignore him. The product can stand on its own. 3 weeks ago when Truex Jr. was being introduced they made sure to point out that it was in Lil'E's car. This was not/has not been done for any other driver. Sometimes it gets old...

The Jr fans seem to be in the majority. So, anything the media does that involves him is
manna to them. I am NOT berating the Jr fans, nor the way the media treats him.
Fair??????? Nope, but tell me how the media can change it? NASCAR has no
control over that part of it. The only way this is going to change is if the real
NASCAR fans, including Jr's fans smother them with complaints of the crappy coverage.
Let's talk racing, not how one driver changes his drawers. There really are 42 other drivers in that
race. But we rarely ever hear even their names after the intros.
I'm game!!!! E-mail Wind Tunnel, INNC, FOX, NBC, TNT, FX, Totally NASCAR. Speed NEWS, and
all the NASCAR shows. LET them know how you feel!
Hmmmmmmmmmm, you know, that old saw. "United we stand, etc"???
I will start an E-mail, to one of these and just cc it to all the others.
Wanna put your E=mail where your complaints are?????
a1dragon.gif

I think NASCAR has more control over the broadcast content than many are willing to admit. But, heck yeah I'm in for emails to the various powers. But, knowing how I tend to go on maybe someone else needs to draft the email first... <_<

Originally posted by de7xwcc@Apr 13 2004, 03:08 PM
whizzer, i don't recall sayin anything about ratings and unless the link is messed up the artical didn't talk about ratings,

maybe that i have blinders on but seems to me if i was in nascars position i would be having a say in what is broadcast.  yeah the networks paid big $$$ for broadcast rights by i would like to think bill france wasn't stupid enough to give away the rights to the way nascar is presented to the general public.
WOW !!!! I did get on a tangent.
Nothing was mentioned in the original post or followup re: ratings and costs of fielding a Busch team until my first post on this thread. My bad.

Sticking to the topic of fans who feel NASCAR should get involved in the broadcasting booth.

Brian France should stay out of the broadcast booth and business of FOX or NBC unless they conduct themselves in a manner detrimental to the sport of NASCAR.

The only thing FOX and NBC are guilty of is using sight features and having questionable commentators in the broadcast booth. Some folks like Mike, Larry and Darrell while others like the team of Benny, Wally and Alan. In neither situation do these commentators cast a negative view on the sport.

Some of us may not care for the productions containing the smoke and mirrors of a "dog and pony" show.
While we may not all agree with the way these productions are presented, none of it is detrimental or negative to the sport or the players in the sport.

If a driver does not want to participate in any of the outlandish productions offered, they only need say "no". Most drivers like the attention and chance to do something a bit "off the wall" and jump at the chance. To some spectators, the skits performed might be objectionable while not detrimental to the sport or harmful to the drivers image or thier sponsor.

It is what NASCAR has become, show business.

Back
Top Bottom