To what extent would nascar go to draw fans?

Shobud1

Team Owner
IMO, nascar will do ANYTHING to draw fans....Since 2001 they have screwed up racing and would go to any length to get them back. I've read where Helton and Brian would sit around and get completely stoned trying to think up stuff to draw crowds. Have you noticed where they have painted the seats at some tracks to make them look like people are sitting in them. Nascar owns 13 tracks out of the 22 tracks that cup runs on. This is so they can completely have total control over Concessions and set the prices on what is sold rather than renting booths to consumers that use to make a little money during the year. Back in the 80's I use to buy a hotdog and coke for $3.00, I'm not sure what they cost today but I bet it's double the profit it use to be. Since Nascar bought out Americrown Catering services, they can control prices and make big bucks by selling higher priced goodies........The France family are already multi billionaires and still they want more by higher ticket prices and total control over ALL operations even the little booths you see on the side of the road leading to the tracks they get a percentage of the take or get fined for selling on race days. I've always heard that greedy people eventually gets the sour milk..This thread is not intended to degrade nascar, it's just to remind people that their voice is not heard by Nascar.

If you don't like concession prices, bring your own food in - every track I've ever been to (except Homestead) allows this.

Seems to me the tracks have been lowing ticket prices across the board with the exception of a couple SMI tracks.

NASCAR still draws bigger crowds than NBA (despite their teams giving away thousands of tickets each game), MLB, NFL, NHL and so on.

In my experiences of attending NASCAR races I can say that the ISC tracks are some of the less expensive tracks to attend. One example, $65 my my seat atop the South Terrace last week at Martinsville vs. $136 a seat at Bruton's Bristol Motor Speedway.

Ticket prices are the least of my expense when attending a NASCAR race. Fuel and lodging are the biggest expense by far. Mostly fuel. We carry all of our food that we'd like into the track along with what ever beverages we want. As far as I'm concerned a NASCAR race is a bargin for the entertainment value for me and my family.

If you don't like concession prices, bring your own food in - every track I've ever been to (except Homestead) allows this.

Iowa doesn't. 1 sealed bottle of water only.
Circuit of the Americas, sealed water only.
Last time I went to Kentucky(pre cup days, maybe 2010) they didn't let me bring anything other than water in too.

Also, for short tracks, 1 time I went to Motor Mile (Virginia) for a Hooters Pro Cup Series race, they didn't allow outside food or drink and they were overpriced. The following year I went and they let you bring in food though.
Barrie Speedway (Ontario) didn't let me bring in food this year, but they always have in the past.

I wouldn't care if the food was reasonably priced. But usually, The amount of money you gotta spend on track food to fill up, you could go enjoy a nice meal at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
But whatever, I get by just eating in the car and shoving some snacks in my pocket for the race. Not gonna let them screw me with prices like that, especially if they tell me I can't bring in my own food.

Seems to me the tracks have been lowing ticket prices across the board with the exception of a couple SMI tracks.

NASCAR still draws bigger crowds than NBA (despite their teams giving away thousands of tickets each game), MLB, NFL, NHL and so on.
Can't get much in a 14 x 14 bag/cooler...Tickets have decreased 7% since 2007. They were increased in 2001 12% from previous year so that makes a ticked still 5% higher than in 2000 and that's ok, I know about cost of living prices will go up but, when you are losing fans, you have to take steps to draw fans not delete them. I believe in quanity in most cases and it's best to take a $5.00 hit in price and draw 10,000 more fans than lose 20,000 by raising the price and especially when QUALITY of racing is at an all time low.

In my experiences of attending NASCAR races I can say that the ISC tracks are some of the less expensive tracks to attend. One example, $65 my my seat atop the South Terrace last week at Martinsville vs. $136 a seat at Bruton's Bristol Motor Speedway.

ISC is definitely way cheaper from my experience too. I've been to a lot of ISC tracks for Cup races and they are usually pretty reasonable. The only SMI track I saw Cup at was Sonoma, I can't remember how much they were, but they were definitely the most expensive Cup tickets i've bought. Although, they were the nicest seats I've ever sat in at a Cup race too. Extremely roomy seats, section i was sitting in had cover above me so the sun didn't burn me up, really nice. Might have been worth the extra cost TBH. I've seen some ARCA and K&N races at some other SMI tracks, but harder to compare ticket prices of those since they vary so much anyway.

You might need to get out more..go to an indoor picture show and buy the big tub of popcorn and a large drink. 10, 12 bucks easy. I pay it gladly because it is the only movie house in town and I don't want to see it close.

You might need to get out more..go to an indoor picture show and buy the big tub of popcorn and a large drink. 10, 12 bucks easy. I pay it gladly because it is the only movie house in town and I don't want to see it close.
We are talking about racing not Movies.......they are different in all aspects.

ISC is definitely way cheaper from my experience too. I've been to a lot of ISC tracks for Cup races and they are usually pretty reasonable. The only SMI track I saw Cup at was Sonoma, I can't remember how much they were, but they were definitely the most expensive Cup tickets i've bought. Although, they were the nicest seats I've ever sat in at a Cup race too. Extremely roomy seats, section i was sitting in had cover above me so the sun didn't burn me up, really nice. Might have been worth the extra cost TBH. I've seen some ARCA and K&N races at some other SMI tracks, but harder to compare ticket prices of those since they vary so much anyway.
It's probably better that you can't bring your own beer now days. Back in 2001 I went to a race in Atlanta where beer was still brought in coolers and the guys sitting behind us was so looped they didn't even know who won the race when it was over. They were wearing Jr. shirts and caps.....:)

Yes but in the hot summer races you can't wear a full size over coat with deep pockets to put your chicken legs and vodka in.:)

It's probably better that you can't bring your own beer now days. Back in 2001 I went to a race in Atlanta where beer was still brought in coolers and the guys sitting behind us was so looped they didn't even know who won the race when it was over. They were wearing Jr. shirts and caps.....:)
lol, reminds me, I was at the Petit Lemans a few weeks ago. The way the seating works there is the have this hillside, with tiered sections, each section is probably a couple feet or so higher than the one below it, you bring lawn chairs, some incredibly drunk guy fell forward out of his chair onto the next section below, chair flipping over, looked like a bit of a rough fall.

Saw a really drunk guy fall completely down the stairs to the bottom from a pretty high row at Mansfield Speedway for a truck race a while ago too. He got up and seemed alright...

I don't drink at races, only drink with my gf and she doesn't go to races. I'd rather just focus on the race than get hammered anyway.

Yes but in the hot summer races you can't wear a full size over coat with deep pockets to put your chicken legs and vodka in.:)

I manage to fit some ziplock bagged KFC into my jean pockets! Or if its at night and a little cold, into the pocket on the hoodie. Even if they dont allow food, the staff doesnt pay too much attention. Never had anyone notice I was sneaking in food.

I'd be very upset if Nascar wasn't doing everything it could to make the racing better and draw fans back to the racetrack . I think that is their job and they are doing it as best they can . In the end ,the tracks and the raceteams have more to do with putting on a good show. I watch every race , love them all . But there isn't a lot Nascar can do to get me out to the tracks anymore .Gettin too old to travel a thousand miles and spend a thousand dollars when I can watch from home for nothing . I do miss it , but even if the ticket was free , I couldn't afford to go.

IMO, nascar will do ANYTHING to draw fans....Since 2001 they have screwed up racing and would go to any length to get them back. I've read where Helton and Brian would sit around and get completely stoned trying to think up stuff to draw crowds. Have you noticed where they have painted the seats at some tracks to make them look like people are sitting in them. Nascar owns 13 tracks out of the 22 tracks that cup runs on. This is so they can completely have total control over Concessions and set the prices on what is sold rather than renting booths to consumers that use to make a little money during the year. Back in the 80's I use to buy a hotdog and coke for $3.00, I'm not sure what they cost today but I bet it's double the profit it use to be. Since Nascar bought out Americrown Catering services, they can control prices and make big bucks by selling higher priced goodies........The France family are already multi billionaires and still they want more by higher ticket prices and total control over ALL operations even the little booths you see on the side of the road leading to the tracks they get a percentage of the take or get fined for selling on race days. I've always heard that greedy people eventually gets the sour milk..This thread is not intended to degrade nascar, it's just to remind people that their voice is not heard by Nascar.
BURP.

Iowa doesn't. 1 sealed bottle of water only.
Circuit of the Americas, sealed water only.
Last time I went to Kentucky(pre cup days, maybe 2010) they didn't let me bring anything other than water in too.

Also, for short tracks, 1 time I went to Motor Mile (Virginia) for a Hooters Pro Cup Series race, they didn't allow outside food or drink and they were overpriced. The following year I went and they let you bring in food though.
Barrie Speedway (Ontario) didn't let me bring in food this year, but they always have in the past.

I wouldn't care if the food was reasonably priced. But usually, The amount of money you gotta spend on track food to fill up, you could go enjoy a nice meal at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
But whatever, I get by just eating in the car and shoving some snacks in my pocket for the race. Not gonna let them screw me with prices like that, especially if they tell me I can't bring in my own food.

Never been to Iowa and would never go to Kentucky. I forgot about Motor Mile - I don't ever eat at their concessions, I go to Cookout after the race.

I go to races to watch cars on the track not to eat and get drunk and run to the bathroom every 5 minutes. I usually drink a bottle of water in the 10 hours I spend at the track each day. Nascar should do things to draw in a crowd because the fans ARE Nascar, silly gimmicks arent needed. Phoenix is coming up and I will spend about 40 hours at the track in 4 days, wont miss a lap. Nothing Nascar can do that will make this fan any happier.

Tickets to a truck race at Phoenix are 7 dollars for the whole day !!!! How in the heck can you beat that ???

I go to races to watch cars on the track not to eat and get drunk and run to the bathroom every 5 minutes. I usually drink a bottle of water in the 10 hours I spend at the track each day. Nascar should do things to draw in a crowd because the fans ARE Nascar, silly gimmicks arent needed. Phoenix is coming up and I will spend about 40 hours at the track in 4 days, wont miss a lap. Nothing Nascar can do that will make this fan any happier.

Tickets to a truck race at Phoenix are 7 dollars for the whole day !!!! How in the heck can you beat that ???
I'm not sure that you fit Nascar's target audience demographic.

Paying $7 for a ticket and drinking 1 bottle of water all day. :D

Good for you though!

The ISC tracks are considerably cheaper than Bruton Smith's tracks. And the ISC tracks have been making an effort to work with area hotels to keep costs down. That's what's funny about this thread, NASCAR/ISC get blamed for the problems when it's actually Bruton's tracks that are the worst.

That's a hell of a deal. You can't even get one reserved seating ticket for the Bud Shootout or Gatorade Duels at Daytona for less than $72.

Wow !!! we are real lucky to have PIR and they have 2 races a year. Its the only way I can afford to see Nascar in person. Track is only 30 minutes away from my home !!!

The ISC tracks are considerably cheaper than Bruton Smith's tracks. And the ISC tracks have been making an effort to work with area hotels to keep costs down. That's what's funny about this thread, NASCAR/ISC get blamed for the problems when it's actually Bruton's tracks that are the worst.
Yep,

Hey im a poor person but I can sure afford tickets from Phoenix

Truck--7.00
Nw-----15.00
cup----25.00
Thursday activities---10.00
57.00 for 4 days of fun

I looked at the Phoenix site before and the cheapest I could find for trucks was $35, for the hillside general admission.

I looked at the Phoenix site before and the cheapest I could find for trucks was $35, for the hillside general admission.

Ticket in my hand purchased 2 months ago for lower foyt section -------------------- 7.00

This isnt the greatest section to sit but the crowd is small and you can sit wherever you want for truck and Nw. my daughter just looked them up and they are still 7.00 for that section.

Anyone tried reading that blue font with the black bacground? Almost went blind. :D

It's hard enough to read with a white background, that's why the default text color is black.

Oh, and I heard Helton and Fance used to do lines of coke with Dale Earnhardt and Richard Petty in the infield before each race in the mid 80's. I'm just sayin.

Dont forgit the blessed strippers.

Back
Top Bottom